Let's stop the "Hyperthreading does nothing for gaming lol" lies.

Ok, I need to write this now, because this is getting ridiculous.

I see people saying that Hyperthreading decreases gaming performance in all situations, and saying that it literally does nothing ever.

With the 8-core CPUs in the next-gen consoles, games are ACTUALLY threaded properly now! They can ACTUALLY use the 8 logical cores! Can we please stop forum-spamming with "omfg hyperthreading is gay lolololol" bollocks that is honestly not true?

Discuss.

no one said it was gay...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Can you name me 10 PC games that properly utilise hyperthreading please?

Plain fact is that it just isn't there yet, the vast majority of PC games do NOT use that many cores efficiently at all. And I would also like to point out that just becauses cores are being used on the console side does not mean that PC ports will be properly coded for multi core usage. It makes it easier, yes, but it still is up to the developer to make that happen. In the future thigns will likely get better, but not now and you don't know when.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Hyperthreading is cool :P

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

It's not here yet mate.

Even now, many games can't even utilize 4 cores.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Can you name me 10 PC games that properly utilise hyperthreading please?

Plain fact is that it just isn't there yet, the vast majority of PC games do NOT use multiple cores efficiently at all. And I would also like to point out that just becauses cores are being used on the console side does not mean that PC ports will be properly coded for multi core usage. It makes it easier, yes, but it still is up to the developer to make that happen. In the future thigns will likely get better, but not now and you don't know when.

Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Thief, Metro: 2033, Trine 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mirror's Edge 2, Star Wars Battlefront, etc.

I my Eyes Threads help with Better Gaming Performance in the time we are living most Games are Multi-Thread Compatible, the Only Game I know that is not Multi-Thread compatible is Minecraft.

EDIT: apparently my opinion is different then Others...

Some games do use 2-3 or even 4 cores. Two is pretty common even. Hyperthreading however offers 4 physical cores with 8 logical cores and that just does not happen outside of games like Star Citizen

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Some games do use 2-3 or even 4 cores. Two is pretty common even. Hyperthreading however offers 4 physical cores with 8 logical cores and that just does not happen outside of games like Star Citizen

Games that use 2-3 only NEED 2-3...

Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Thief, all of the 20 games being release on Frostbite 3 this year or next.

Future games don't exist yet. How is that relevant? Not to mention that battlefield has horrible hyperthreading implementation. IF you go on steam right now and go to the top sellers, NONE of the top games there utilise hyperthreading.

Games that use 2-3 only NEED 2-3...

First of all, that is complete and utter bollocks, like how console devs justify running at low res 30FPS, and secondly that's not the statement you made. You specifically said hyperthreading, which is 8 logical cores from 4 physical cores.

First of all, that is complete and utter bollocks, like how console devs justify running at low res 30FPS, and secondly that's not the statement you made. You specifically said hyperthreading, which is 8 logical cores from 4 physical cores.

I am saying that the games which are only threaded for 2-3 cores aren't going to need 4-8 to run smoothly...or else they wouldnt have developed it as such.

Also, hyperthreading can be 2 physical 4 logical on the i3's...

Future games don't exist yet. How is that relevant? Not to mention that battlefield has horrible hyperthreading implementation. IF you go on steam right now and go to the top sellers, NONE of the top games there utilise hyperthreading.

Battlefield 4 has up to a 40% fps increase going from 3570 to 3770...

Aaaand the #1 Top Seller is Watch Dogs...8 cores...

Believe or not, but I can actually give you two examples from 2006/2007. The Supreme Commander series is coded to be able to fully utilize 4 cores and to and certain degree more. Which means that when testing "CPU ping" in game I get about a 10% increase with my 4770K over my buddy's 4670K. Atm both are stock.

Oh and I also get twice as low ping as people with i3s ;)

EDIT: My point being that games have been able to benefit from more than 4 cores a long time and that A LOT of RTS games is prioritized to be coded for as many cores/threads as possible since they are so CPU heavy.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I am saying that the games which are only threaded for 2-3 cores aren't going to need 4-8 to run smoothly...or else they wouldnt have developed it as such.

Also, hyperthreading can be 2 physical 4 logical on the i3's...

Yes because I3's are gaming chips. If a gamer is considering hyperthreading he's considering a 4770, not a bloody i3 dual core. That makes no sense and you know it.

Also, the delusion that all devs utilise exactly as many system resources as they need and no more is so patently easy to disprove I'm not even going to bother compiling a list of all the games that limit themselves at one or two cores that would have SIGNIFICANT real world performance gains from being able to use more. Paradox's Europa Universalis games are a good example. And again, that doesn't even help your argument because in that case hyperthreading is totally useless.

Intel Hyperthreading is not a sensible choice for gaming in the present tense and that is simply the fact of the matter. It has many other uses and in future it will likely become better supported, but it just is not there yet.

Battlefield 4 has up to a 40% fps increase going from 3570 to 3770...

Aaaand the #1 Top Seller is Watch Dogs...8 cores...

Game is not out, no performance figures are available. You cannot argue on unknown facts. Like how your batttlefield numbers are pulled out of thin air as well.

Believe or not, but I can actually give you two examples from 2006/2007. The Supreme Commander series is coded to be able to fully utilize 4 cores and to and certain degree more. Which means that when testing "CPU ping" in game I get about a 10% increase with my 4770K over my buddy's 4670K. Atm both are stock.

Oh and I also get twice as low ping as people with i3s ;)

Your ping has nothing to do with your CPU, you just have a better connection x3

As for supreme commander, I have to re-iterate again that 4 core usage is not hyperthreading. It was better than most though!

Game is not out, no performance figures are available. You cannot argue on unknown facts. Like how your batttlefield numbers are pulled out of thin air as well.

As for supreme commander, I have to re-iterate again that 4 core usage is not hyperthreading. It was better than most though!

"4 core usage is not hyperthreading". It CAN be, once again, i3s.

Ehem, recommended specifications are a 3770k, that implies that it is threaded for 8 logical cores.

And I was getting my Battlefield 4 numbers from my system after an upgrade from a 3570k to a 3770k, went from 70 to 95 average fps.

No, I actually meant CPU ping. The lobbies incorporated into the new matchmaking system FaForever tests the CPUs before starting the match and tells how they are coping in a so called "ping". My "ping" is for example 162, while my friends is 181. An i3 is around 300. I have actually got a far worse connection than my friends as well.

As for the other argument: Never said that 4 core usage is always hyper threading.It can be, but my point is that the game can use 4 cores and benefits from more cores/threads which means that hyper threading benefits it even when the CPU already possesses 4 cores from before.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Should we consider moving to dual socket cpu boards?

show me a AAA game that runs on 2-3 threads.

show me a PC which stops all other threads while gaming.

Yes, this aswell.

Even if the games aren't coded for 8 cores, having the 4 logical cores to handle background tasks can be quite helpful.

"4 core usage is not hyperthreading". It CAN be, once again, i3s.

Ehem, recommended specifications are a 3770k, that implies that it is threaded for 8 logical cores.

And I was getting my Battlefield 4 numbers from my system after an upgrade from a 3570k to a 3770k, went from 70 to 95 average fps.

Again, no reasonable person talks about hyperthreading in a DUAL CORE. That's not the point of hyperthreading, when we discuss hyperthreading in gaming (or anything else, frankly) we're talking about quad cores. If you don't accept that then you can't have an argument about these things.

Recommended settings are literally meaningless, they don't mean that at all. All they do is make sure that config can run the game well and that is it. Anyone with any degree of understanding about the development proces will tell you the same thing. Just like how the minumum specs usually only guarantee you can run the executable and nothing more.

As for your numbers, well I can give you several other opinions contrary to yours where people suffer from increased microstutter with hyperthreading, no discernable performance boost or in SOME cases even worse performance. In Battlefield 4 specifically. Google it, right now, and you can see for yourself. Unless you provide numbers from a reputable benchmark (I can't find one either way right this instant unfortunately) your personal account is totally irrelevant. You may very well have seen a performance increase. But you didn't do a straight HT to non-HT swap on the same chip, you didn't benchmark it professionally and you don't have any established authority that would allow me to take your word for it.

I mean I'm no good debater by any stretch but some basic principles need to be adhered to if you want to have a meaningful conversation instead of just bashing on people that think differently.

I don't think that hyperthreading does nothing, just that there are only a handful of games that actually utilize it properly, and the i5 is indeed a better value, but doesn't mean there is no point in getting an i7. The i7 is still a superior chip, and the i7 also has more cache, so even in 4 threaded games, the i7 is still a better chip without hyperthreading,

inb4 butthurt i5 zealots start calling me retarded.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

No, I actually meant CPU ping. The lobbies incorporated into the new matchmaking system FaForever tests the CPUs before starting the match and tells how they are coping in a so called "ping". My "ping" is for example 162, while my friends is 181. An i3 is around 300. I have actually got a far worse connection than my friends as well.

As for the other argument: Never said that 4 core usage is always hyper threading.It can be, but my point is that the game can use 4 cores and benefits from more cores/threads which means that hyper threading benefits it even when the CPU already possesses 4 cores from before.

Ah okay that makes sense, weird system though. I think CoH does that too.

On the 4+ cores, I would argue that it hasn't been coded specifically for that task, it jsut sortof happens to take a small benefit from the fact that you have more logical cores. No significant increase and not purpose coded, you know what I mean?

I don't think that hyperthreading does nothing, just that there are only a handful of games that actually utilize it properly, and the i5 is indeed a better value, but doesn't mean there is no point in getting an i7. The i7 is still a superior chip, and the i7 also has more cache, so even in 4 threaded games, the i7 is still a better chip without hyperthreading,

inb4 butthurt i5 zealots start calling me retarded.

That's a fair point entirely, but I don't think really the point of the OP. That was quite specific.

It blows my mind that people will put effort into overclocking their little i5 for hours and hours, but then suggest to somebody to get an i5 over an i7 when their budget isnt an issue.