tech conventions

tdkid

i am not sure if this belongs here or in off topic because it is about tech but also a place where it can be general in the terms of discussing some tech related things.

mainly why i am making this is because i want to know if anyone here is going to CES 2024 or any other tech related convention within the next year or who here has been to one in the past?

You need to be press or industry affiliate to go to most of those trade shows like CES. Smaller events, more like fairs, sure. But they are also held with LAN events like PAX in NA, Dreamhack etc. Assembly here in Finland.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i think I'm going to VCF east 2024 - vintage computer festival 

GREAT video: 

It's in Wall, NJ.

If anyone wants more info, DM me on LTT forums because I have tons of info 🙂 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You need to be press or industry affiliate to go to most of those trade shows like CES. Smaller events, more like fairs, sure. But they are also held with LAN events like PAX in NA, Dreamhack etc. Assembly here in Finland.

well i looked into it and they allow you to register with your company name so you could create your own small company, register it for the event and then go to it. and these places dont really care if you are or not, they just care if you paid your registration fees. but i was more curious as i am waiting to hear the latest tech related stuff like new TVs coming out on 2024.

3 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

i think I'm going to VCF east 2024 - vintage computer festival 

GREAT video: 

It's in Wall, NJ.

If anyone wants more info, DM me on LTT forums because I have tons of info 🙂 

VCF? will they have windows vista there? LOL

9 hours ago, tdkid said:

VCF? will they have windows vista there? LOL

Too new. Think older like 3.1

12 hours ago, tdkid said:

well i looked into it and they allow you to register with your company name so you could create your own small company, register it for the event and then go to it. and these places dont really care if you are or not, they just care if you paid your registration fees. but i was more curious as i am waiting to hear the latest tech related stuff like new TVs coming out on 2024.

Sure. Though you really have to think, how much trouble/cost setting up a company is and is $300 admission fee worth it. In comparison, the three largest tech fairs here Assembly Summer, Assembly Winter and Sound & Picture. Of those, weekend pass to Assembly is €30 and day ticket to Sound and Picture €15. They are also primarily intended for general public, not for industry affiliates.

Pricing seems to be same as to Gamescom which is European version of E3.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Sure. Though you really have to think, how much trouble/cost setting up a company is and is $300 admission fee worth it. In comparison, the three largest tech fairs here Assembly Summer, Assembly Winter and Sound & Picture. Of those, weekend pass to Assembly is €30 and day ticket to Sound and Picture €15. They are also primarily intended for general public, not for industry affiliates.

Pricing seems to be same as to Gamescom which is European version of E3.

well its actually extremely easy to set up a company here in the US. most that do start an LLC (limited liability company/corporation) which if i am right would be the same or similar to the Ltd (limited) companies or corporations in england or europe but i have not looked into it so i can not say for sure. and the real issue with becoming an affiliate like linus, jaytwocents, gamers nexus, bitwit kyle, pauls hardware, etc. etc. is that it takes years and you have to build yourself up to high stats before being invited to join. $300 for getting a first hand look of the new stuff its probably worth it when you compare your experience to those around you that didnt go. the issue i have with any of this is that they schedule multiple things for all at the same time, like LG will be doing a floor demonstration will Samsung/sony or whoever will be doing one in the exhibit hall 1000ft away.

i am just looking forward to seeing the videos from the ones that do go so i can see the new tech and compare it myself to see what i am thinking of buying as i need a new monitor but nothing comes as big as i need without going stupidly expensive LED panels like for outdoor sports stadiums.

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Too new. Think older like 3.1

It varies, some are older than 3.1 (no UI), and some newer stuff, possibly newer than Vista/7. For example, a prototype PC running Win7 could be found. 

I'm bringing a 1980 Apple II+ and some PowerPC stuff (Power Mac G4 and G5)

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

2 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

It varies, some are older than 3.1 (no UI), and some newer stuff, possibly newer than Vista/7. For example, a prototype PC running Win7 could be found. 

I'm bringing a 1980 Apple II+ and some PowerPC stuff (Power Mac G4 and G5)

i am in my mid 30s but i remember some 90s computers, then us having these when i was in 5th and 6th grade iMac_3q.jpg

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

i am in my mid 30s but i remember some 90s computers, then us having these when i was in 5th and 6th grade iMac_3q.jpg

That's Mac. It was very common especially in schools. PCs were mostly basic IBM/HP/Compaq beige towers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, tdkid said:

. $300 for getting a first hand look of the new stuff its probably worth it when you compare your experience to those around you that didnt go.

You honestly think $300 is worth going just to get information a week earlier than your friends or those around you?

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

You honestly think $300 is worth going just to get information a week earlier than your friends or those around you?

well yes and no. in 2014 i went to the gamestop expo in Anaheim CA and i live on the US east coast so overall i spent around $1500 then but its something i wanted to do. so i would say it would have to be personal preference on if you think its worth it or not and i know you were asking me if i think it is. well i think the experience of going to some place that most dont get to see or something you havent done before might be worth it. but i see people like the ones i listed above either livestreaming it or at least recording it to be posted like you said.

Unless you’re in the industry, I just don’t see the point. You’re not going to find out anything you wouldn’t see online a day or two later, and you’ll have bought plane tickets, accommodation, food…

5 hours ago, tdkid said:

I love those iMac G3s 🙂

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That's Mac. It was very common especially in schools. PCs were mostly basic IBM/HP/Compaq beige towers.

That would be correct. (Apple did make "beige boxes" up until the late 90s though.)

2 hours ago, tdkid said:

well yes and no. in 2014 i went to the gamestop expo in Anaheim CA and i live on the US east coast so overall i spent around $1500 then but its something i wanted to do. so i would say it would have to be personal preference on if you think its worth it or not and i know you were asking me if i think it is. well i think the experience of going to some place that most dont get to see or something you havent done before might be worth it. but i see people like the ones i listed above either livestreaming it or at least recording it to be posted like you said.

I guess everyone is different. Of all the conferences like this that I've been to (about 5 or so) none were worth going to. They are just in person ads and I already hate ads on tv and magazines so paying to go in person is hell to me.

28 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I guess everyone is different. Of all the conferences like this that I've been to (about 5 or so) none were worth going to. They are just in person ads and I already hate ads on tv and magazines so paying to go in person is hell to me.

well when i lived in a big city, 

my mom often worked at the convention center and i could go there for free, or other times for very cheap - its cool you see tons of stuff , and even better,  you get tons of stuff, t-shirts,  other advertising merch... often some really awesome and rare stuff.

basically everyone i knew only went to these for the free stuff! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

31 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

well personally i like the in person better because i can see the item and what it does and doesnt have physically vs seeing in on a TV screen or computer monitor that is no where near as detailed as the one they are advertising so you can only go off of what you see thru your monitor. 

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I personally see the worth of participation if it was for work. I've been in couple conferences, both at booth and just listening presentations. For work, definitely worth it. But for hobby/leisure like what tech is to me, not worth paying $300.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv