LG C2 OLED 42" pc monitor is great

rotexen

Been using it since July 2023

I have to say its a good upgrade

And i like it coz of the glossy finish 16:9 aspect ratio and 42" 4K.

I mostly watch movies and youtube

And play one game Wow retail.

20231220_072613.jpg

13 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Indeed. Had mine since January. 

IMG_1599.thumb.jpg.dbd2e0c9ed94431feb987ab2ba25be1d.jpg

In January i bought the AW3423DW qd-oled. Used it for six months then i sold it . 

The image quality and Hdr is the same but i prefer 16:9 and not 21:9

1 minute ago, rotexen said:

In January i bought the AW3423DW qd-oled. Used it for six months then i sold it . 

The image quality and Hdr is the same but i prefer 16:9 and not 21:9

I actually prefer 21:9 but not in 34" 3440x1440 format. Too small, not enough desktop real-estate. I owned a PG348Q for 6 years so just moving to the same size/resolution just in OLED wasn't enough of an upgrade. I'm doing the 16:9 thing again until 5120x2160 21:9 OLED ultrawides are a thing. 

That being said, I am loving the C2. HDR has been an eye opening experience that I don't think I can ever go without moving forward. 

11 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I actually prefer 21:9 but not in 34" 3440x1440 format. Too small, not enough desktop real-estate. I owned a PG348Q for 6 years so just moving to the same size/resolution just in OLED wasn't enough of an upgrade. I'm doing the 16:9 thing again until 5120x2160 21:9 OLED ultrawides are a thing. 

That being said, I am loving the C2. HDR has been an eye opening experience that I don't think I can ever go without moving forward. 

I see.

Do you keep Hdr all the time on while using the C2 or you use Sdr as well?

40 minutes ago, rotexen said:

I see.

Do you keep Hdr all the time on while using the C2 or you use Sdr as well?

HDR on all the time, SDR brightness slider down to 10. I don't have the patience to be turning it on and off all the time, and frankly I like the look when its on. 

CRU used to force peak brightness to 800nits and the Windows HDR calibration app has been run. 

I've setup the TV with a combination of the /r/OLED_Gaming subreddit's wiki and the TFTReview C2 for Desktop setup video. 

I'm using a Samsung SC90 and it's great.

Also how do people use something that big as a monitor and not get a kink in their neck from sitting like 6 inches away from the screen? Constantly looking left and right surely must put strain on the neck. I'm back a good 6 feet from my screen and I can barely see the screen at once and it's 55 inches

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

HDR on all the time, SDR brightness slider down to 10. I don't have the patience to be turning it on and off all the time, and frankly I like the look when its on. 

CRU used to force peak brightness to 800nits and the Windows HDR calibration app has been run. 

I've setup the TV with a combination of the /r/OLED_Gaming subreddit's wiki and the TFTReview C2 for Desktop setup video. 

20230505_172744.jpg

20230726_151256.jpg

These are the monitors i have

First pic is the AW3423DW

Second pic is the LG C2 42"

53 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

I'm using a Samsung SC90 and it's great.

Also how do people use something that big as a monitor and not get a kink in their neck from sitting like 6 inches away from the screen? Constantly looking left and right surely must put strain on the neck. I'm back a good 6 feet from my screen and I can barely see the screen at once and it's 55 inches

Well, for me its roughly 3 feet away in my seating position. The first week took some getting used to but now it just feels natural and I don't think I could go back to something smaller. 

Slightly better idea of how far away it is. 

IMG_1082.thumb.jpg.61fb563e8da68f44ebd38b2ef4e6fa8c.jpg

IMG_1085.thumb.jpg.6b62f0a6470d6e0de36c15382a84a4f7.jpg

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Well, for me its roughly 3 feet away in my seating position. The first week took some getting used to but now it just feels natural and I don't think I could go back to something smaller. 

Right. Bigger is better lol

10 hours ago, rotexen said:

Been using it since July 2023

I have to say its a good upgrade

And i like it coz of the glossy finish 16:9 aspect ratio and 42" 4K.

I mostly watch movies and youtube

And play one game Wow retail.

Glad to see you continue enjoying your TV.

For me what I liked the most is sitting back far enough so I can rest my feet up while casual gaming, combine with great audio system and the whole experience is an absolute killer!

That being said, although I know you don't like ultrawide, there is possibility that I get one in the future.

I still have 34 inch IPS UW on another side for other use cases. I'm considering getting upgrade to 240Hz but currently such monitor doesn't exist. I've heard that an OLED variant is coming, but dammit the point of IPS panel is for anything else to ease burn-in. On the other hand I am kinda tempted to see OLED's 240Hz instead of IPS which would have better clarity plus getting real HDR as a bonus. 

As for my 48 inch OLED TV, I'll try to hold on to it as long as possible. If there is going to be 4k 240Hz in the future I might reconsider.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

11 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

Glad to see you continue enjoying your TV.

For me what I liked the most is sitting back far enough so I can rest my feet up while casual gaming, combine with great audio system and the whole experience is an absolute killer!

That being said, although I know you don't like ultrawide, there is possibility that I get one in the future.

I still have 34 inch IPS UW on another side for other use cases. I'm considering getting upgrade to 240Hz but currently such monitor doesn't exist. I've heard that an OLED variant is coming, but dammit the point of IPS panel is for anything else to ease burn-in. On the other hand I am kinda tempted to see OLED's 240Hz instead of IPS which would have better clarity plus getting real HDR as a bonus. 

As for my 48 inch OLED TV, I'll try to hold on to it as long as possible. If there is going to be 4k 240Hz in the future I might reconsider.

i mostly watch vedios and youtube and less gaming 

i play one game Wow so UW monitors is not for me.

atleast i tried the AW3423DW and had both black bars on the sides

but now i'm not going back to 21:9 and i prefer 16:9 4k OLED

when i sold the Alienware UW i was thinking to back to my old monitor

the Asus PG279Q its a 27" ips . but when i heard about the C2 42"

i went ahead and bought it.

@rotexen I'm really glad you like the C2. I think i was the one steering you towards the display in DM's after you got the Alienware and weren't that happy with it. 😉

I've also been using the C2 for over a year now.

Thanks to inherent advantages of OLED and the glossy screen the image quality is superb, response times are extremely fast and most importantly consistent across different refresh rates. We probably play more around 60 fps than 120 fps on such a high resolution display, so response time consistency is very important on a 4K monitor.

The first 1 or 2 days i still needed to get used to the size, but it feels normal now.

At 150% windows scaling, the text clarity issues some reviewers talked about are practically gone. 100% scaling is too small for me either way and i don't do a lot of multitasking, so the extra screen real estate that comes with smaller scaling is wasted on me either way.

Nowadays i only enable HDR when the content is HDR because keeping HDR enabled for SDR content results in a small amount of black crush and banding in very dark colors, so i just use the Windows hotkey to enable it when it's needed. But if you aren't as nitpicky you can run HDR 24/7 and probably not notice anything bad. Maybe it's just this noticeable because my unit is fully calibrated and a much smaller problem with factory settings.

All in all it's by far the best gaming display i've ever had. And luckily real OLED monitors are on the rise now, so by the time the C2 is done for, there are plenty of great upgrade options around. But i still hope i get at least 4 more years out of the C2 before switching over to a 32" 4K 240Hz QD-OLED or something similar/better.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

@rotexen I'm really glad you like the C2. I think i was the one steering you towards the display in DM's after you got the Alienware and weren't that happy with it. 😉

I've also been using the C2 for over a year now.

Thanks to inherent advantages of OLED and the glossy screen the image quality is superb, response times are extremely fast and most importantly consistent across different refresh rates. We probably play more around 60 fps than 120 fps on such a high resolution display, so response time consistency is very important on a 4K monitor.

The first 1 or 2 days i still needed to get used to the size, but it feels normal now.

At 150% windows scaling, the text clarity issues some reviewers talked about are practically gone. 100% scaling is too small for me either way and i don't do a lot of multitasking, so the extra screen real estate that comes with smaller scaling is wasted on me either way.

Nowadays i only enable HDR when the content is HDR because keeping HDR enabled for SDR content results in a small amount of black crush and banding in very dark colors, so i just use the Windows hotkey to enable it when it's needed. But if you aren't as nitpicky you can run HDR 24/7 and probably not notice anything bad. Maybe it's just this noticeable because my unit is fully calibrated and a much smaller problem with factory settings.

All in all it's by far the best gaming display i've ever had. And luckily real OLED monitors are on the rise now, so by the time the C2 is done for, there are plenty of great upgrade options around. But i still hope i get at least 4 more years out of the C2 before switching over to a 32" 4K 240Hz QD-OLED or something similar/better.

Yeah as you said by far the best gaming display.

I turn the hdr off when watching youtube or drop down the sdr slider.

But can you go back to 32" after using the C2.

I'm also used the size nowadays so its normal its perfect for watching movies and playing story line games

Very immersive

2 minutes ago, rotexen said:

But can you go back to 32" after using the C2.

I'm also used the size nowadays so its normal its perfect for watching movies and playing story line games

Very immersive

Good question. Before i had 42" i thought 32" is the perfect size for a 4K monitor. But i guess i hopefully have a few more years to think about it 😉

I don't plan on replacing the C2 until it's broken beyond repair.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.