Dual PSU?

piggykid1

I was making a dream build in PCPartPicker and I noticed I ran into a problem with wattage so i made a custom part for another PSU and I was wondering if you could actually do this in reality.

I think yes but I'm not an expert so that's why I asked you guys.

If you have the room for two wall plug-ins and two PSU's in your case then I don't see why not

People do it in mining rigs commonly. Anyway, its possible and fine.

Diamond 5 in League :)

It's doable and is sometimes done. There are cases with more than one psu mount for this reason.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's doable and is sometimes done. There are cases with more than one psu mount for this reason.

People do it in mining rigs commonly. Anyway, its possible and fine.

Thanks guys I thought it could be done just checking though out of curiosity 

Do the math! It's even better.

For example: 1 x 800W 82% efficiency, you'll only have 82%. But 2 x 400W 82% efficiency and you'll have 800W with 164% efficiency.  :P

But yeah, it's fine. I might be hotter than just one PSU, but if it makes it easier for your build, 2 would be great.

Some cases actually support dual PSUs, like the 900D, and the Antec 2100.(or was it 1900?)

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

one thing thought, u need to buy a dual psu starter button, because when u start up the pc, only the psu that has the 24 pin connected to the mobo will start, but even if u have 4 titans, a 1500 would still be fine

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

one thing thought, u need to buy a dual psu starter button, because when u start up the pc, only the psu that has the 24 pin connected to the mobo will start, but even if u have 4 titans, a 1500 would still be fine

Not really a button, but an adapter. Y adapter. Possibly?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do the math! It's even better.

For example: 1 x 800W 82% efficiency, you'll only have 82%. But 2 x 400W 82% efficiency and you'll have 800W with 164% efficiency.  :P

But yeah, it's fine. I might be hotter than just one PSU, but if it makes it easier for your build, 2 would be great.

Actually its just 800W with 82% efficiency. Although your efficiency could be worse when using a 2nd PSU.

Actually its just 800W with 82% efficiency. Although your efficiency could be worse when using a 2nd PSU.

You don't know what the  :P means?  :rolleyes:

Not really a button, but an adapter. Y adapter. Possibly?

You either buy a dummy plug for the 24 pin, or just short out a wire to ground with a paperclip.