New gen Consoles costs Americans $1 billion annually in power consumption.

ijKs Snow

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/video-game-consoles-could-cost-americans--400-million-a-year-%E2%80%94-when-we-aren-t-even-using-them-203733603.html

Not sure if it was already posted here in the forums, but I couldn't find it.

The new gen consoles (XbOne, PS4, Wii U) is costing about $1 billion annually in power costs, but that isn't the main point.

Interestingly enough, almost half ($400 million) is being spent on stand-by mode for these consoles.

Da fuq? I assumed these consoles would act like PC hibernation/sleep modes when not used, but I guess my assumption was way off.

Xbox is leading the pack on energy consumption in stand-by mode. It's roughly consuming 240 kWh annually, with PS4 behind it with ~180 kWh. Wii U (obviously) uses much less power then these 2 consoles coming in last with 37 kWh.

Even MORE interesting is, these new gen consoles are consuming more power then high-end laptops during HD video streaming.

The PC industry is going towards energy efficiency, but it seems this gen's consoles took the opposite path.

That's x86 for you.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I wonder how much power cryptocurrency mining takes.

I'm really surprised, since these are using GCN architecture processors which presumably have ZeroCore tech. Even the 7970 would idle at 15W (source).

Seems like it's the hardware additions and software Microsoft and Sony developed that are causing the trouble.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

That's x86 for you.

more like shitty design by sony and MS, standby on those thing must be just turn off the display and dim the lights, i really doubt the use of x86 chips is the cause, seems more like bad power management in their OS's  

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

they are probably a hell of a lot more power efficient than your average at idle, so i don't see why people are complaining.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

they are probably a hell of a lot more power efficient than your average at idle, so i don't see why people are complaining.

Most likely because $1 billion sounds like a big number and they have no way of putting it into perspective. 

I'll bet more than $1 billion is wasted on cellphone chargers that are left plugged into the wall when not used. Not that I unplug them, just saying. Most people don't even realize that a power supply still draws power when OFF, not just at idle/standby. I don't feel like shutting my gaming PC down right now to get numbers... but I have a J1800 build with a 80w power supply that draws 25w at load, 15w at idle, and 1.5w when the system is turned off but still plugged in.

The article shows how inefficient it is at idle.. which is why people are complaining.

That's x86 for you.

You mean AMD. Intel idle power on their highest power stuff is tiny. They beat ARM in effciency north of 3 W.

Hey, at least the Wii U is winning in one field... Low energy consumption... Yay...

Wii-U-sad-e1375709902118.png?resize=600%

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

The PC industry is going towards energy efficiency, but it seems this gen's consoles took the opposite path.

R9-295X2...

I wonder how much power cryptocurrency mining takes.

I would imagine a lot more than this.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Hey, at least the Wii U is winning in one field... Low energy consumption... Yay...

I disagree, Wii U has the best games.

What a waste of power

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

I disagree, Wii U has the best games.

Nuh uhhh I love to play COD refreshes at 30fps on a 50inch 720p TV on 2 sticks. I love the experience. More like #unnecesarilyhighgraphicsrace

On a serious note, I don't know if the parents would necessarily realize that the extra money they're paying was for their child's xbox or ps. Not trying to defend ms or Sony, ACTUAL power saving commands would be pretty nice, not just a button to dim your tv