Hey, Linus, how about a review on the current state of AMD MGPU and nVidia SLI ?

psionprime

Christmas is coming fast and I cannot afford a 4090. I can afford an AMD  6xxx or nVidia 3xxx and I heard some modern games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider do support AMD MGPU, at least. Maybe you guys have some laying around you can try ? I mean, if a couple 3060 Ti's are like a 4080, that's huge and the gaming community can lobby for support in other games !

Thanks for the years of tips !

SLI/Crossfire is dead and has been for several years. No more driver support from AMD or Nvidia and Game Developers have long dropped building there games for Multi GPU systems. There is nothing to report on it or test. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Only use for multiple GPUs is for some productivity/professional stuff, for games it's good as dead as mentioned above.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

The last generation of Nvidia cards that supported SLI were the RTX 2070 Supers, and even then SLI had almost no performance benefits to speak of.

The current state of mGPU for gamers is that it's dead, and will stay that way.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The reason it might seem like you haven't seen this topic covered in a while is that SLI/Crossfire are dead, dead, dead.

Nvidia stopped even putting the connectors for SLI/NVlink on all but their top of range cards a couple generations ago and no longer provides support for SLI in any game. 

AMD Crossfire didn't require a physical bridge but AMD has similarly dropped support for Crossfire in any new game.

APIs like DirectX 12 theoretically allowed using multiple non identical GPUs in conjunction, but it was entirely up to game developers to code their games to support it, and virtually none were willing to put in the effort for what would have been a very very small segment of players.

Multiple GPUs is now useful for some specific workstation tasks but a completely obsolete concept for gaming.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Nvidia stopped even putting the connectors for SLI/NVlink on all but their top of range cards a couple generations ago and no longer provides support for SLI in any game. 

The 3090(ti) still had it, the 4090 was the first to not have it

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, igormp said:

The 3090(ti) still had it, the 4090 was the first to not have it

My posts says they dropped it on all but their top end cards, and the 3090 ti is certainly a top end card. I forgot the 4090 didn't even have NVlink, though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

31 minutes ago, Middcore said:

My posts says they dropped it on all but their top end cards, and the 3090 ti is certainly a top end card. I forgot the 4090 didn't even have NVlink, though. 

Oops, my bad, seems like I can't read 😆

Lenovo N23 Yoga

I had sli GTX560ti's back 12 years ago or so.

Even back then when support was probably at its best it was a real pain in the ass to deal with,  Some games supported it and some didn't but even the ones that did had there own set of issues like micro stuttering etc.

I'm not surprised or sad it's gone because it was horrible.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset