BROADBAND SPEED: Any idea why the download speed is around 30 Mpbs on my Xbox One X, but my ISP download speed is around 900 Mpbs?

Actual_Criminal
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

10 years of ISP work and support here. Consoles are NOTORIOUS for horrible download speeds. They can not be trusted to produce decent/accurate speeds. 

Playstation's and Nintendo Switch are the 2 worst. Many many different factors are involved.

1: Time of Day

2: how loaded are servers

3: Routing path from you to the server you're downloading from

4: Network congestion between you and the servers.

5: Any type of Network QoS traffic shaping out of your control by the various owners of the route path

Tons of different factors. My PS5 downstairs hardwired into my router never tests at the 1gb down it has available to it. Nintendo Switch?? Even though the chip in it is 802.11ac, I can barely get 20mbps down on it standing 5 feet away from my Wifi 6e router. While on my phone, i get about 1.5gbps down/up. 

So any test done from your phone is not directly comparable to what you're getting on a console download as the path is going to be different and you're downloading/testing to a completely different server with completely different files being transferred. 

20231213_221234.jpg

Any idea why the download speed is around 30 Mpbs on my Xbox One X, but my ISP download speed is actually around 900 Mpbs on wired on other devices and around 480 Mpbs on Wi-Fi on other devices?

I'm in the UK with a major ISP on a 1 GB plan.

EDIT: Don't bother commenting if you plan on guessing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

assuming wireless, are you on the 5ghz or the 2.4 ghz band and far away from the router?

2.4 Ghz and no, only 1 wall between.

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

I just noticed the "Suspend my game" button at the top.

If you have a game running even when suspended, the system won't download at full speed.

Quit any game that is running and check again.

In my experience, console speedtests are always way off. Even when on ethernet.

Used to work for an ISP and had to argue that alot with customers. 

Like others have said though, 2.4Ghz will give slower speeds. Id look to moving to a 5ghz channel or using ethernet.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

On 12/13/2023 at 4:58 PM, Actual_Criminal said:

2.4 Ghz and no, only 1 wall between.

Well theres the problem.

2.4G sucks, switch to 5GHz or wired.

Also ISP speed doesn't guarantee you'll be getting full download speeds. MS has to pay premium to CDN providers for mass delivery in a rush so there's an incentive to throttle speeds.

15 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

Well theres the problem.

14 hours ago, TomChaai said:

2.4G sucks, switch to 5GHz or wired.

Also ISP speed doesn't guarantee you'll be getting full download speeds. MS has to pay premium to CDN providers for mass delivery in a rush so there's an incentive to throttle speeds.

Again, read what I've already posted.

The OP has a game running and that reduces download speeds.

The suspend button and the "you've got a game running, suspend it to help improve download speeds" text that is half off the screen should make this OBVIOUS.

Although, I now have a massive hatred for ISP provided hardware after a firmware update made wireless utter trash even on 5Ghz (this was on an xbox one S connected wirelessly on 5Ghz only inches from the router and only getting 20-50mbps download when it should be hitting close to 300).

On 12/17/2023 at 1:53 PM, demonix00 said:

The OP has a game running and that reduces download speeds.

I mean that would do it, but I do think that it being wireless is having more of an effect then the game itself

OP HERE.

Every single person that commented is incorrect.

1.) One single wall shouldn't make a difference for modern devices, despite being 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, that difference of download vs plan speed. Proof? Tried in my office right next to the router and it is exactly the same.

2.) Tried 2.4 GHz on my mobile device via Wi-Fi in the same spot (and even further away) and I get over 300 Mbps. Yes, I do get higher on my mobile device when switching to 5.0 GHz (around 480 Mbps), but still there is a huge difference between the 30 Mbps I am getting on the console vs 300 Mpbs on my mobile device even at 2.4 GHz.

3.) The existing game that was open at the time was an OFFLINE-ONLY game. Nevertheless, even without a game playing, download speeds are the same.

Sick of people on forums commenting just because they think they can 'guess/assume' an answer. Let alone a tech forum where others will usually be directed to posts like these in the future via search engines. 

I know you are trying to help, but the information you comment is just outright wrong or misleading at best 😆 

17 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

3.) The existing game that was open at the time was an OFFLINE-ONLY game. Nevertheless, even without a game playing, download speeds are the same.

Sick of people on forums commenting just because they think they can 'guess/assume' an answer. Let alone a tech forum where others will usually be directed to posts like these in the future via search engines. 

I know you are trying to help, but the information you comment is just outright wrong or misleading at best 😆 

It doesn't matter if it's online of not as download speeds will be restricted regardless as noted by the text stating so.

I was only stating the bleeding obvious, so don't go down my throat if you can't read what is on your OWN SCREEN.

10 years of ISP work and support here. Consoles are NOTORIOUS for horrible download speeds. They can not be trusted to produce decent/accurate speeds. 

Playstation's and Nintendo Switch are the 2 worst. Many many different factors are involved.

1: Time of Day

2: how loaded are servers

3: Routing path from you to the server you're downloading from

4: Network congestion between you and the servers.

5: Any type of Network QoS traffic shaping out of your control by the various owners of the route path

Tons of different factors. My PS5 downstairs hardwired into my router never tests at the 1gb down it has available to it. Nintendo Switch?? Even though the chip in it is 802.11ac, I can barely get 20mbps down on it standing 5 feet away from my Wifi 6e router. While on my phone, i get about 1.5gbps down/up. 

So any test done from your phone is not directly comparable to what you're getting on a console download as the path is going to be different and you're downloading/testing to a completely different server with completely different files being transferred. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card