Need to New motherboard since this one is a BottleNeck (AMD x Nvidia)

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

The issue with Mobo is, its PCIE 3.0

And? That's not that big a deal with a 4060 Ti. 

4 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

Same with Samsung 980, running slower than it should.

Is this a 980 or a 980 Pro? If it's just the regular 980 then that's a Gen 3 drive and an upgrade will do nothing. Even a 980 Pro you're unlikely to notice a difference, though admittedly there you will see one in benchmarks. 

Save up until you're going to upgrade the CPU at the same time. Upgrading just the motherboard makes very little sense IMO. 

So ive upgraded the following in a PC i built in 2019
- RAM: from 16Gb 3000mhz to 32 GB 3200 Mhz - Running at 3000mhz cuz Mobo doesnt support
- CPU cooler: Wraith prism broke after 3 years, installed Deepcool's AK400
- Storage Memory: Had Hard Disk 2TB which the PC doesnt work without now. Additional M.2 samsung 980 1TB, Corsair 500Gb Sata, Samsung 860 Evo M.2 Sata (was scammed)
- GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 GB to Gigabyte Windforce x3 RTX 4060ti 8GB (for $250)
All case fans changed.

only thing left that i haven't changed in CPU and Mobo.

So my GPU is not running to full potential, Same with Samsung 980, running slower than it should.
Ram running at 3000 instead of 3200 (and even when ive forced it to Run at 3000 by manual clocking, its still slow to startup)

3 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

4 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

Same with Samsung 980, running slower than it should.

Is this a 980 or a 980 Pro? If it's just the regular 980 then that's a Gen 3 drive and an upgrade will do nothing. Even a 980 Pro you're unlikely to notice a difference, though admittedly there you will see one in benchmarks. 

Save up until you're going to upgrade the CPU at the same time. Upgrading just the motherboard makes very little sense IMO. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thankyou, but i have some questions, if i move to AM5 system, do rest of my stuff work on that?

like RAM, does it have to be DDR5 only?

AM5 is DDR5 only so you would need to update ram along with it

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

As for the slow startup and everything have you tried a fresh install of windows? Or are you saying it's slow to post?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

17 minutes ago, CA8OOS3 said:

As for the slow startup and everything have you tried a fresh install of windows? Or are you saying it's slow to post?

slow to post ever since i put new ram and clocked it to run at 3000 mhz with 1.2 volts, which was running at 2133 before cuz XMP doesnt work like it should.
if i reset to default, it boots fast, rn it takes 10+ seconds to boot

20 minutes ago, CA8OOS3 said:

AM5 is DDR5 only so you would need to update ram along with it

😞 thats why i was thinking ill get a B550 Mobo for now and put everything in that, but as Ronothan said, it wont make much difference, then i rather save money.

why is the ram set to 1.2v?

have you tried setting xmp and seeing if the ram is set at 1.35v?

and did you add an extra 16g to make it 32g? if so were they the exact same ram?

try reducing it a little more 2933 but maybe up the voltage..try 1.3

when it has booted with it all set to 3000 run memtest

sounds like there is an instability with the ram

9 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

why is the ram set to 1.2v?

have you tried setting xmp and seeing if the ram is set at 1.35v?

so XMP doesnt turn on. option is there but its locked, cant turn it on or off. i tried to match my old RAM setting and it was an annoying process cuz if i mess up, it wont boot and i have to bios reset by removing mobo battery. so set it to 3000 at 1.2 like my old ram from same brand, just 8Gb sticks instead of 16 sticks.

4 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

and did you add an extra 16g to make it 32g? if so where they the exact same ram?

try reducing it a little more 2933 but maybe up the voltage..try 1.3

when it has booted with it all set to 3000 run memtest

sounds like there is an instability with the ram

i check the stability, nothing caused issues in last 2 months.

Yes, before it was Corsair 8x2 3000 mhz CL16 now its Corsair 16x2 3200 CL16

40 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

Thankyou, but i have some questions, if i move to AM5 system, do rest of my stuff work on that?

like RAM, does it have to be DDR5 only?

AM5 is only compatible with AMD 7000-series CPUs and those require DDR5 RAM. So you'd have to upgrade CPU and RAM at the least.

You could get PCIe 4.0 for GPU and one NVMe by going with B550, but it'll not make much of a difference. I've got a PCIe 4.0 NVMe and the difference to my PCIe 3.0 NVMe, as far as games are concerned, is virtually zero. Very few games show any difference in loading times and where it does it's negligible.

For the GPU it's only really needed for low end GPU like the RX 6500 XT, because it only has 4 PCIe lanes. Here's a benchmark for the RX 6600 XT (8 lanes) and the difference is already not that big: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

AM5 is only compatible with AMD 7000-series CPUs and those require DDR5 RAM. So you'd have to upgrade CPU and RAM at the least.

You could get PCIe 4.0 for GPU and one NVMe by going with B550, but it'll not make much of a difference. I've got a PCIe 4.0 NVMe and the difference to my PCIe 3.0 NVMe, as far as games are concerned, is virtually zero. Very few games show any difference in loading times and where it does it's negligible.

For the GPU it's only really needed for low end GPU like the RX 6500 XT, because it only has 4 PCIe lanes. Here's a benchmark for the RX 6600 XT (8 lanes) and the difference is already not that big: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/

my concern was since im running RTX 4060ti on a 3.0 system, and the 4060 ti has PCIEx8
im probably running with a speed of PCIE x4?

17 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

my concern was since im running RTX 4060ti on a 3.0 system, and the 4060 ti has PCIEx8

I think you're right, given it seems to slow down even a 4060.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

Huh? How do you figure that? It should be runnnig at 3.0 x8

1 hour ago, RAGNES7 said:

It is running at the speed of PCIe 3.0 x8, which is equivalent to PCIe 4.0 x4, in terms of bandwidth.

But that's genrally not an issue as the benchmark I linked shows.

You run into issues if the card only has 4 lanes, which means it would be running at PCIe 3.0 x4, which would be equivalent to PCIe 4.0 x2 bandwidth.

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

i saw the link, it was posted on

on Aug 24th, 2021,

Surely its outdated right?

33 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

on Aug 24th, 2021,

Not really, scaling hasn't changed much since then. especially on low end gpu's like a 4060

3 hours ago, RAGNES7 said:

on Aug 24th, 2021,

No, the benchmark results haven't changed. GPUs simply aren't limited by the speed of the PCIe bus in most scenarios. That might change with future hardware, but so far it hasn't.

There are exceptions like the RX 6400 and RX 6500 XT, because they only have four lanes. And I think Intel is also somewhat of an exception and e.g. also require reBar for optimal performance.

The higher up you go in the stack, the less of an issue it becomes because the cards have a lot of memory and don't need to read data from the bus that often.

Here's one where they did the same test for the 4090 at the end of 2022:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/