PC out to TV flickering

tinpanalley

I've always had an HDMI cable running to my TV from my desktop for gaming and for some PC work. But we just got a new TV and switching to the TV from the PC (via an HDMI splitter) is causing the image from the PC to flicker. What causes this typically and what settings can I check on the TV and PC to stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help!

37 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I've always had an HDMI cable running to my TV from my desktop for gaming and for some PC work. But we just got a new TV and switching to the TV from the PC (via an HDMI splitter) is causing the image from the PC to flicker. What causes this typically and what settings can I check on the TV and PC to stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help!

First of all, try changing you HDMI cable, then try updating GPU drivers, you can also try running the hardware troubleshooter and changing to a different HDMI port if your TV or GPU has multiple.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

56 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

First of all, try changing you HDMI cable, then try updating GPU drivers, you can also try running the hardware troubleshooter and changing to a different HDMI port if your TV or GPU has multiple.

How do I know if I'm using the right HDMI cable? It's been a while since I have changed any of them and it wasn't really an issue the last time I hooked things up to a TV. Do I check the version of the ports on the TV and then buy a cable that matches? Does it matter what the ports are on my GPU?

14 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

How do I know if I'm using the right HDMI cable? It's been a while since I have changed any of them and it wasn't really an issue the last time I hooked things up to a TV. Do I check the version of the ports on the TV and then buy a cable that matches? Does it matter what the ports are on my GPU?

I mean, it doesn't matter if you are using the right one or not that is contingent on which one is completely functional. Just try changing the cable if you have a spare one around.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

2 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

I mean, it doesn't matter if you are using the right one or not that is contingent on which one is completely functional. Just try changing the cable if you have a spare one around.

I put on a new cable that happened to be 2.0 (...it's just that it's 25ft long and quite thick, we used to need it in a different apartment) and there's no flickering whatsoever now. Thank you for your help. Tiny ms bit of delay on the mouse but nothing major. 

But I'm now curious...

The cable in question that wasnt working was a High Speed, so that's 1.4. The new TV takes HDMI spec 2.0. The GPU port on the PC says it supports 4K@60Hz as specified in HDMI 2.0b. So is it correct to assume I didn't have problems with the last TV because its ports were HDMI 1.4 like the cable?

1 hour ago, tinpanalley said:

I put on a new cable that happened to be 2.0 (...it's just that it's 25ft long and quite thick, we used to need it in a different apartment) and there's no flickering whatsoever now. Thank you for your help. Tiny ms bit of delay on the mouse but nothing major. 

But I'm now curious...

The cable in question that wasnt working was a High Speed, so that's 1.4. The new TV takes HDMI spec 2.0. The GPU port on the PC says it supports 4K@60Hz as specified in HDMI 2.0b. So is it correct to assume I didn't have problems with the last TV because its ports were HDMI 1.4 like the cable?

Yes, that is most likely the reason for the issue. If my comment solved your issue please mark it so.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

If line (p vs i) 1080i (i interlaced)

flicker? Hz (supporting resolution framerate)