AIO Radiator fans very aggressive; connect to which headers on mainboard?

gretchenfrage

Hey,
I've got an N7 B650E mainboard and a Cooler Master 360L Core.
I have currently - and as per the manual of the cooler - connected the AIO pump to the AIO_PUMP header and the radiator fans to the CPU_FAN header.
The radiator fans seem to be controlled very aggressively now, however, as soon as the CPU (Ryzen 7 7800X3D) gets some loads, the radiator fans immediately start pinning. The CPU barely gets over 60°C.

Should I limit the fans? I've seen some talk about wiring up the connectors differently so that the radiators are connected as case fans instead. Some suggest connecting the Aio pump not to AIO_PUMP but to CPU_FAN ?

There is also in the BIOS for all the headers besides AIO_PUMP (so all case fans and CPU_FAN) a toggle between a CPU fan mode and a water pump mode -- what should I pick for the radiator?

Yea just limit the fans aka set your own fan curve if the default one is trash which it usually is

For both the fan and aio pump just constantly run them at their fastest speed that is inaudible as theres no point running them slower than that, start ramping them up at 80c

Ok that makes sense.

I'll configure the limiting, once I know if my configuration, in terms of which cable to connect where and which setting in the BIOS, is correct.
Also, if I recall correctly the fan curve preset in the BIOS is already set to silent (the default)

Fan Control is a great program to control Fans and such.

It needs a little getting used to. But it will do anything you want.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

5 hours ago, gretchenfrage said:

Hey,
I've got an N7 B650E mainboard and a Cooler Master 360L Core.
I have currently - and as per the manual of the cooler - connected the AIO pump to the AIO_PUMP header and the radiator fans to the CPU_FAN header.
The radiator fans seem to be controlled very aggressively now, however, as soon as the CPU (Ryzen 7 7800X3D) gets some loads, the radiator fans immediately start pinning. The CPU barely gets over 60°C.

Should I limit the fans? I've seen some talk about wiring up the connectors differently so that the radiators are connected as case fans instead. Some suggest connecting the Aio pump not to AIO_PUMP but to CPU_FAN ?

There is also in the BIOS for all the headers besides AIO_PUMP (so all case fans and CPU_FAN) a toggle between a CPU fan mode and a water pump mode -- what should I pick for the radiator?

Which fans do you have on it - the included ones?

Set your curves to something moderate, make sure they're configured for DC or PWM according to what they are.

Don't move the pump to a fan header. That's just going to wear it out faster.

Radiator? Is that where the pump is? The radiator by itself doesn't get connected to anything on the mobo. If you mean the fans on it, they go to CPU_Fan and the pump to AIO_pump.

If the fan curves for those two headers are already on silent, then they're probably not set to the right setting, or not working right, unless your system is overheating. At what temp do the rad fans go crazy? Case fans? Pump?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂