Twitch shutting down in Korea next year

Not_A_Spider

Summary

Twitch is shutting down in Korea on February 27, 2024 due to the network fees being 10x as much as in most other countries.

Quotes

Posted today:

This morning, I shared with our community in Korea that we’ve made the difficult decision to shut down the Twitch business in Korea on February 27, 2024 KST.

Ultimately, the cost to operate Twitch in Korea is prohibitively expensive ... First, we experimented with a peer-to-peer model for source quality. Then, we adjusted source quality to a maximum of 720p. While we have lowered costs from these efforts, our network fees in Korea are still 10 times more expensive than in most other countries.

To all of our global communities, we want to make it clear that this is a unique situation. Operating costs in Korea are significantly higher than they are in other countries and we have been open about this challenge for some time.

My thoughts

I know most Korean streamers don't use Twitch or only multistream to Twitch, but still, rip income. Also are League and Starcraft just dead on Twitch now? Probably.

Sources

https://blog.twitch.tv/en/2023/12/05/an-update-on-twitch-in-korea/

9 minutes ago, Not_A_Spider said:

Also are League and Starcraft just dead on Twitch now? Probably.

I didn't think League's following was that Korea-centric. 

Only 2 of the top 20 most-viewed League streams on Twitch right now appear to be Korean streamers. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Im confused why korea is so expensive, I thought they were known for their solid infrastructure. 

29 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I didn't think League's following was that Korea-centric. 

Only 2 of the top 20 most-viewed League streams on Twitch right now appear to be Korean streamers. 

SKT1 is the number one league team in the world, a Korean Telecom. 

18 minutes ago, starsmine said:

That's fine, but I think the implication that League on Twitch has only Korean streamers and audiences is incorrect. 

Korean teams dominated Overwatch League too but that didn't mean that Overwatch was only popular in Korea. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

That's fine, but I think the implication that League on Twitch has only Korean streamers and audiences is incorrect. 

Korean teams dominated Overwatch League too but that didn't mean that Overwatch was only popular in Korea. 

I woudlnt say only popular, but I would argue disproportionately popular. The Korean audience and streamers were a very large chunk of the user base on twitch. For games like league and overwatch, I would not be surprised if they were the second largest group along with countless other games.  

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

Im confused why korea is so expensive, I thought they were known for their solid infrastructure. 

Government regulations. The ISPs basically wanted to double dip for bandwidth costs. At the consumer and the data provider end. Probably more focused on extracting money from Netflix. Naver might also be launching a competitor to Netflix soon, which will likely get preferential treatment.

It's far more a case of overly protectionist economics more than anything else.

I guess that means any korean twich users will just be automatically redirected to Japan/taiwan servers?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

which will likely get preferential treatment.

I love Corpocracy. Its almost like a law created by corporations will only benefit those that wrote it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

I guess that means any korean twich users will just be automatically redirected to Japan/taiwan servers?

No, I guess this means that Korean twitch users will either bother to use a VPN via Japan/Taiwan or will get IP address-based blocked from the twitch.tv streams. This whole action by twitch doesn't make sense otherwise.

For twitch embeds on websites this is going to be funky - people from Korea seeing a black square at the place of the embed...

\   ^__^ 
          \  (oo)\_______
             (__)\       )\/\

8 hours ago, Not_A_Spider said:

My thoughts

I know most Korean streamers don't use Twitch or only multistream to Twitch, but still, rip income. Also are League and Starcraft just dead on Twitch now? Probably.

Sources

https://blog.twitch.tv/en/2023/12/05/an-update-on-twitch-in-korea/

hmm, don't think so.

Korean:

image.thumb.png.810453703b7900924df6fbda5f4c0914.png

English:

image.thumb.png.01c5c2c2fec09e860331192f045328b9.png

Take note of the "League of Legends" numbers. The Korean watch time is 4 times the english watch time.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:14 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Government regulations. The ISPs basically wanted to double dip for bandwidth costs. At the consumer and the data provider end. Probably more focused on extracting money from Netflix. Naver might also be launching a competitor to Netflix soon, which will likely get preferential treatment.

It's far more a case of overly protectionist economics more than anything else.

Correction: In an interview with the Twitch CEO he claimed that the bandwith costs in Korea are 10x compared to other countries

EDIT: It would be funny if they started streaming on kick

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

On 12/6/2023 at 7:51 PM, Kisai said:

hmm, don't think so.

Korean:

image.thumb.png.810453703b7900924df6fbda5f4c0914.png

English:

image.thumb.png.01c5c2c2fec09e860331192f045328b9.png

Take note of the "League of Legends" numbers. The Korean watch time is 4 times the english watch time.

League Of Legends is the most popular game in Korea, because of that games are called successful if they maintain the most played game for even 1 week.

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

I guess it was only a matter of time before the Chaebols manage to monopolize streaming in SK too. Its a damn shame for any Korean streamers on Twitch that had majority non-Korean audiences since I imagine migrating to Afreeca or another Korean owned streaming service is not gonna be easy, and unless you already have a Youtube following, Youtube doesn't have great discovery for streams.