I keep my passwords in a text file, anyone else?

GOW3

I've been doing it in a text file for many years and just do ctrl f to find a sites password. I keep the text file on a separate partition away from windows, I signed up for roboforum trial i like it but i am wondering what you guys do for your banking passwords? Mine are so complex that copy and paste is the best way and i would not store them in a password manger regardless.

Been thinking about turning my text file into a more modern spreadsheet.

or, you could.. you know, use a proper secure method like oh say, a Password Manager App on all your devices like Bitwarden?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

A password manager is definitely the better option. If you don't trust it fully, you can try "Peppering" (I think it's called). 

That basically means you just store your random 30 character password in the manager but before logging in you always add a personalized phrase (can be the same for all passwords basically, just don't write it down ever) at the end. 

So basically:

%!Rj£j%3qTL01KR9bxGuhPINEAPPLEPIZZA

Edit: a Passwordmanager also saves you from phishing attacks. When the website is called "facebcck.com" you might overread it, but a password manager won't. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

you can find an overly long txt file that already exists and hide it in that file. like a worthless readme file some where in the program files , then just change the extension to .bmp or something to break the file for anyone looking for something.

30 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

or, you could.. you know, use a proper secure method like oh say, a Password Manager App on all your devices like Bitwarden?

Do you put your bank login info in bitwarden? We thought lastpass was safe. I feel like any of these password mangers are a bigger target than a text file on my pc.

Have you guys heard of KeePassXC? Just wondering your opinions on it.

1 minute ago, GOW3 said:

Do you put your bank login info in bitwarden? We thought lastpass was safe. I feel like any of these password mangers are a bigger target than a text file on my pc.

Have you guys heard of KeePassXC? Just wondering your opinions on it.

I do have my debit/Credit cards in it, yes. Good thing about Bitwarden is its Open Source so it gets scrutinized by the community and attack vectors are usually identified (and closed) faster than closed source. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

37 minutes ago, GOW3 said:

Mine are so complex that copy and paste is the best way and i would not store them in a password manger regardless.

Keep in mind if you copy and paste a password it will be stored in the clipboard history. Somebody without access to the password text file could still access any passwords you've copied and pasted from the clipboard.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Keep in mind if you copy and paste a password it will be stored in the clipboard history. Somebody without access to the password text file could still access any passwords you've copied and pasted from the clipboard.

That is true, i have a intel NUC that i do nothing on but bank and pay bills.

19 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I do have my debit/Credit cards in it, yes. Good thing about Bitwarden is its Open Source so it gets scrutinized by the community and attack vectors are usually identified (and closed) faster than closed source. 

I need to give Bitwarden a try i hear so much about it is it related to vaultwarden?

2 minutes ago, GOW3 said:

I need to give Bitwarden a try i hear so much about it is it related to vaultwarden?

Vaultwarden is Bitwarden, written in a different language and is not an official bitwarden product, just a fork. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 hour ago, GOW3 said:

Text files are pretty much universally accessible from any OS and hard to corrupt (at least to the point nothing is recoverable). Apps worry me (they definitely seem like targets), and I definitely don't want my passwords stored anywhere in the cloud to be compromised. 

The text file is fine, but it should be on an encrypted partition, or in an encrypted file container. Using something like Veracrypt is ideal for this as again it would make it accessible from any OS (in case something happens). 

9 hours ago, GOW3 said:

I've been doing it in a text file for many years and just do ctrl f to find a sites password. I keep the text file on a separate partition away from windows, I signed up for roboforum trial i like it but i am wondering what you guys do for your banking passwords? Mine are so complex that copy and paste is the best way and i would not store them in a password manger regardless.

Use an encrypted drive, or encrypted folder.

And no, Window's BitLocker is not acceptable, it is easily bypassed by novice users. VeraCrypt is great.

Ideally, use LastPass, BitWarden, or any other password manager. I'm a fan of BitWarden. The company I work at uses LastPass entirely.

With your current method, it's easy for an attacker to simply *yoink* the file. Or if your device gets stolen, the drive only needs to be plugged into another device, and your drive's folders are accessible. User login not required.

Jude 1:23

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

I have used VeraCrypt before it is what i use when i take my passwords with me on a long trip so i can still pay bills with a USB drive.

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Text files are pretty much universally accessible from any OS and hard to corrupt (at least to the point nothing is recoverable). Apps worry me (they definitely seem like targets), and I definitely don't want my passwords stored anywhere in the cloud to be compromised. 

The text file is fine, but it should be on an encrypted partition, or in an encrypted file container. Using something like Veracrypt is ideal for this as again it would make it accessible from any OS (in case something happens). 

It would not be the end of the world if someone got the passwords to my social media as i don't post anything and all my info is fake birthday etc

It's only the bank info i worry about maybe pen and paper is the answer for those accounts only or i could only keep half of the password in a text file and the other half on a post it note on my desk.

I have noticed a lot of these fast food places pizzahut for example don't even have a way to change your password in your account unless you do the forgot password option at sign in.

pen and paper is more secure tbh...

"but people could get access to that easily".... well yes, in theory,  but they wouldn't be able to read it! (or even make sense of it) trust me lol..

ps: after decades... i finally caved and use samsung pass on my phone,  but that's a nightmare in terms of transferring to a new (none samsung) phone ... i dont think its possible.... 👀 

hence i still have all my pws stored on an always offline laptop additionally lol...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, GOW3 said:

if you write down the random part of the passwords, and keep part memorized, that's a bit better.

eg a password file with the following

username: example

password: 9i0o8u7y-P

and from memory complete the password with the end

eg
9i0o8u7y-Password

On 12/6/2023 at 2:05 AM, GOW3 said:

Vaultwarden is a free re-implementation of Bitwarden's server. I self-host a Vaultwarden instance on a VPS. The good thing is that it's compatible with the official browser plugin and also mobile app of Bitwarden.

That's more secure than a text file and should also be less of a target, since it's not a big server containing passwords of thousands of people. Of course you still want to secure your server as much as possible and have multiple redundant backups. Losing your password safe sucks big time.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply