Ryzen 7 7800x3d OC

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
1 hour ago, StoryVFX said:

the speed is supposed to be 4.2ghz and i want to overclock it to stable 5ghz.

This is how we overclocked a decade ago, or if you're running the system in a testbench for benchmarking. For a PC you'll use, modern systems will ramp up and down the clockspeed as necessary. 

i wonder how do i make it stable 5ghz like i used to have my intel i7 8700k

You specifically do *not* want this. 

And the idel temps also fluctuates quite often from 37 celsius to 50 celsius 

Focus on load temperatures. If you want to ensure the chip is doing what its supposed to be doing, run a single Cinebench R23 run and ensure you're in the 18k-19k range for the score. 

As for "overclocking" on modern Ryzen, you'll want to look into how to enable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), the Boost Override setting (up to +200Mhz) as well as Curve Optimizer undervolting for lower temps and higher boost clocks. Ultimately there is only so much you can do with an X3D chip, realistically you're not going to get much if any real world improvement in games from any of this but its fun to tinker. 

(All of this should be done in the BIOS, btw, not in Ryzen Master)

So i got the ryzen 7 7800x3d yesterday and im seeing something weird, the speed is supposed to be 4.2ghz and i want to overclock it to stable 5ghz. But its changing all the time from like 1000mhz to 5000mhz i wonder how do i make it stable 5ghz like i used to have my intel i7 8700k ? And the idel temps also fluctuates quite often from 37 celsius to 50 celsius image.thumb.png.0d87c7e0f8f0e07be3df937a5989d605.png 

1 minute ago, StoryVFX said:

So i got the ryzen 7 7800x3d yesterday and im seeing something weird, the speed is supposed to be 4.2ghz and i want to overclock it to stable 5ghz. But its changing all the time from like 1000mhz to 5000mhz i wonder how do i make it stable 5ghz like i used to have my intel i7 8700k ? And the idel temps also fluctuates quite often from 37 celsius to 50 celsius image.thumb.png.0d87c7e0f8f0e07be3df937a5989d605.png 

This is normal behaviour, just let the CPU do its thing. Overclocking AM5 / Ryzen 7000 is not worth it, you can enable PBO though.

There is no point for a CPU to sit at 5ghz if all you do is watch Youtube.
As long as its not dropping to 1ghz during gaming, leave it alone.

9 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

This is normal behaviour, just let the CPU do its thing. Overclocking AM5 / Ryzen 7000 is not worth it, you can enable PBO though.

There is no point for a CPU to sit at 5ghz if all you do is watch Youtube.
As long as its not dropping to 1ghz during gaming, leave it alone.

Ah ok, yeah it works great during gaming and stuff like it boosts itself to 5ghz when playing so idk i just want to get the maximum performance from my gear u know

CPU's automatically vary their clock speed to save power while there isn't a significant load. It will boost the clock whenever necessary you don't have to worry about missing performance.

9 minutes ago, StoryVFX said:

Ah ok, yeah it works great during gaming and stuff like it boosts itself to 5ghz when playing so idk i just want to get the maximum performance from my gear u know

if its boosting to 5ghz then you are getting the max out of your CPU 🙂 You don't need 5ghz when watching Youtube or browsing LTT Forum, this will just increase power draw and unnecessary heat. CPU's will meassure its own clockspeeds hundreds of times a second.
Just leave it alone, its doing exactly what its supposed to do 🙂
You can set your power plan to High Performance in the power plan settings within windows.

image.png.bd53077b213845813dadf6a4a3d6df60.png

the speed is supposed to be 4.2ghz and i want to overclock it to stable 5ghz.

This is how we overclocked a decade ago, or if you're running the system in a testbench for benchmarking. For a PC you'll use, modern systems will ramp up and down the clockspeed as necessary. 

i wonder how do i make it stable 5ghz like i used to have my intel i7 8700k

You specifically do *not* want this. 

And the idel temps also fluctuates quite often from 37 celsius to 50 celsius 

Focus on load temperatures. If you want to ensure the chip is doing what its supposed to be doing, run a single Cinebench R23 run and ensure you're in the 18k-19k range for the score. 

As for "overclocking" on modern Ryzen, you'll want to look into how to enable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), the Boost Override setting (up to +200Mhz) as well as Curve Optimizer undervolting for lower temps and higher boost clocks. Ultimately there is only so much you can do with an X3D chip, realistically you're not going to get much if any real world improvement in games from any of this but its fun to tinker. 

(All of this should be done in the BIOS, btw, not in Ryzen Master)