Is using the CLI/Terminal common in the workplace?

Kiyullo

Also is it more common, less common, or about as common these days compared to say 10 years ago?

Java Trainee (Novice)

Thanks in advance~

I'd say it's as common, but really depends on what kind of project you're working with. If you're building desktop apps for windows or games, I don't think it's that common.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

There sure are a lot of workplaces out there. 

If you're a plumber, I'd say no.

For programming, straight CLI is definitely not as common as it was in, say, the 80s. Rather than booting into a Basic ROM and writing your code like on the Commodore 64, now we have IDEs (eg Visual Studio Code) or even Notepad++ rather than just putting the code down in PowerShell or something. Not much has changed in that regard over the past 10 years though, more like 20-30.

In the broader IT field, straight CLI is still used a good deal for sysadmin tasks - whether to communicate over a serial interface with network hardware, configure a server through out-of-band management, even just pinging a device to test latency... all plain old CLI. 

From what I've been by working in different companies:

• Generally speaking, It's common to use the CLI for basic things, stuff that you can learn on a 15 minute video
  • Even more common, kinda "must" have if working in roles related to: Cloud, DevOps, Back-end, Sys Admin, Networks, etc

52 minutes ago, da na said:

For programming, straight CLI is definitely not as common as it was in, say, the 80s.

I agree, although I'd like to point out that it provides quite a huge advantage over developers who don't know how to use it

I'd say more common, due to the proliferation of dev tools based in Linux, to the point where even my co-workers on Windows are having to install WSL to setup their dev environments, and more project setups seem to involve running some commands to set things up and get things going. Not to mention, a lot of the WYSIWYG stuff has died out in favor of code, and advanced settings have moved to json or other config files. In general, companies stopped spending so much time making fancy UIs for things, in favor of rapid development, trusting that the devs could handle some command line tools and file based config.

Of course if it's more of less common, or used at all, will vary greatly by job role and company.

i always use git cli for everything git related personally. my entire company is like macos only so unix terminal is pretty much always there for engineers, for better or worse. devops people generally will spend more time in cli compare to regular developers tho. at my previous role, i often ssh into linux staging vms so i had a lot more uses out of terminal than my current job(which is just front end development in react) and even so i still cli for things like yarn/npm/node as well as for running the unit test suites.

terminal is by no means outdated. a lot of softwares out there are still cli and many newer softwares written are also still cli. on the software development side, if you are gonna write a script for example, you do cli. you wouldn't want to bother with GUI. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Systems or Dev programming yes

Some systems live in a Console…