Case questions and speculations. Assistance please.

Avalith
Go to solution Solved by Avalith,

Ohh you already own it all? I was gonna suggest different parts if you hadn't. 

Just took a quick glance at the Z97 MPower and saw four 4 pin fan headers. So just plug the NHD14 fans in the motherboard and control the case fans with the integrated fan controller on the case.

Hooray, the build is finally all fleshed together! xD

I chose http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr4blw as the case I'm going to use in my build but I've noticed a problem.

I'm assuming the case's front panel is meant to button/close up, but using a fan controller...the dials/knobs would get in the way right?

Should I forgot a fan controller, or modify the front panel to let the dials/knobs/controller show through? 

And if I should do that second option...how would I go about doing that?

there are fan controllers with touch displays :) and they arent even that much more costly

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

there are fan controllers with touch displays :) and they arent even that much more costly

I heard touch displays are a little unreliable. Or am I just being paranoid? Reason why I need a fan controller is because the motherboard only supports 3 fans, but the case supports six. And with how hot my room gets in the summer, I want as much cooling as possible since this is my first rig.

The R4 has a fan controller for 3 fans,

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yeah but the R4's fan controller only has up to three fans. So maybe 3 fans on the built-in, and 3 fans on the motherboard?

Yeah but the R4's fan controller only has up to three fans. So maybe 3 fans on the built-in, and 3 fans on the motherboard?

Yeah. Are the fan headers on your motherboard 4 pin? If so, buy 3 PWM fans for your motherboard so it can dynamically adjust their speed based on temperature limits you set.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yeah. Are the fan headers on your motherboard 4 pin? If so, buy 3 PWM fans for your motherboard so it can dynamically adjust their speed based on temperature limits you set.

I think they're 3 pin.  It doesn't actually say in the description but thanks to Amazon's zoom-in ability, I saw 2 CPU fan slots and 3 three-pin system fan slots.

I'm assuming since they're three pins, it'd be better off to use a touch-screen fan controller large enough for all six, or the case's fan controller + a touch screen? Or would that just be stupid/redundant? xD

Here's my two cents; 

You only really need 3-4 case fans (case, not CPU) in it...two in the front, one in the back and one in the top. You don't have to have both top fan mounts occupied and you don't have to have the bottom fan mount occupied. 

What does your rig consist of?

Here's my two cents; 

You only really need 3-4 case fans (case, not CPU) in it...two in the front, one in the back and one in the top. You don't have to have both top fan mounts occupied and you don't have to have the bottom fan mount occupied. 

What does your rig consist of?

That's my current build.  (the fans, etc I haven't bought. But am not including in price of this tower)   

It took a while to load but got a super-zoomed in photo of the motherboard, they're 4 pin so I can control fans from the motherboard (Now just hope the LED fans I want are controllable like that)

I gotta edit out the fan controller though, since I have no need for it now.

Did you post a picture? I don't see it.

That's my current build.  (the fans, etc I haven't bought. But am not including in price of this tower)   

It took a while to load but got a super-zoomed in photo of the motherboard, they're 4 pin so I can control fans from the motherboard (Now just hope the LED fans I want are controllable like that)

I gotta edit out the fan controller though, since I have no need for it now.

Gah...that shoulda posted a link. Steam's messing with my display settings. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Meeeh/saved/4IOV

What is the intended use of the build? I can probably get better parts for the same money or less.

What is the intended use of the build? I can probably get better parts for the same money or less.

Mostly a mix of gaming and 3D design/rendering.  I'm actually pretty happy with it so far, I was just worried the case/motherboard would toss up a fan issue. xD

Mostly a mix of gaming and 3D design/rendering.  I'm actually pretty happy with it so far, I was just worried the case/motherboard would toss up a fan issue. xD

Just took a quick glance at the Z97 MPower and saw four 4 pin fan headers. So just plug the NHD14 fans in the motherboard and control the case fans with the integrated fan controller on the case.

Hooray, the build is finally all fleshed together! xD