ThinkPad X1C Gen 11 - Can I add a WWAN card later?

Go to solution Solved by Selle,
7 hours ago, eskamobob1 said:

Hey Guys,

Looking at buying a thinkpad x1 carbon gen 10 or gen 11. I would like to get a mobile plan for my laptop but know nothing about WWAN cards. Should I just get the lenovo 5g one? or am I better off getting one later once im sure it will work with my provider (AT&T) given the 5g one at least doesnt work on verison right now.

The WWAN module needs to be supported by the bios to work, you can’t just by a random one and expect it to work. You also have to spec the laptop with WWAN support when you order it, if you don’t it won’t have have the required antennas installed

Hey Guys,

Looking at buying a thinkpad x1 carbon gen 10 or gen 11. I would like to get a mobile plan for my laptop but know nothing about WWAN cards. Should I just get the lenovo 5g one? or am I better off getting one later once im sure it will work with my provider (AT&T) given the 5g one at least doesnt work on verison right now.

You can always get the card later and add it in. There are also a variety are cards that have the same form factor and would probably work with one x1 and AT&T. Ex. Quectel RM50x Series

Please refresh before you reply because I edit my posts. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not responsible for any damages or losses caused by the content I share.

_________________________________________________________________________________

7 hours ago, eskamobob1 said:

Hey Guys,

The WWAN module needs to be supported by the bios to work, you can’t just by a random one and expect it to work. You also have to spec the laptop with WWAN support when you order it, if you don’t it won’t have have the required antennas installed

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 6:10 AM, Selle said:

I did quite a bit more digging and it seems like the x1 gen 11 does support a wide variety of lte cards but unless you spec it with one you aren't guentreed go get the antennas and those are not user installable. 

I ended up doing a custom spec with a tiny hard drive (cause i store basicaly nothing on my laptop) and the 5g modem for only $50 more than the pre-built spec I was looking at.