6th gen small motherboard please?

Hey guys, this is a bit of an odd one, but I'm looking for a Micro ATX, or a mini ITX motherboard that would work with an i7 6700k + GTX 960 combo. They are from an old computer that I can't be bothered selling for parts, but they are sitting in a huge case. So I figured I'll pick up a small form MB and transplant it all into a tiny case to keep as a spare machine, or give to a family member if they can use it.

Ideally I'd like the board to be new(if that's even still a thing) and as cheap as possible, but I don't want some dodgy no name brand either. I found a case that will work for 15 quid, so that leaves more spare for the MB if needed.

All the naming for the older generations is really confusing to me so that's why I'm struggling to figure this one out. Hope you can help me.:)

24 minutes ago, LAOK said:

I'd like the case to be new(if that's even still a thing) and as cheap as possible

You can go for new, but the problem is that they tend to have no low prices available because they aren't made anymore. Micro ATX B150 and B250 motherboards are easy to come by though, I've bought several and was satisfied by all of them in terms of being fully functional. I've bought them all off eBay. I also bought a couple Z170 boards a while back, also no complaints about those.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You can go for new, but the problem is that they tend to have no low prices available because they aren't made anymore. Micro ATX B150 and B250 motherboards are easy to come by though, I've bought several and was satisfied by all of them in terms of being fully functional. I've bought them all off eBay. I also bought a couple Z170 boards a while back, also no complaints about those.

Thank you. I figured the chances of getting new were slim and I don't mind used.

So will any of these work with this CPU? Is there no Intel/AMD version sockets like with the most recent ones?

I wouldn't invest $ in a platform with uncertain W11 support and possible EOL in 10/2025. Unless Linux is an option.

Old MB are pricy. May as well get  AM4 or similar if the RAM is good. 

And a used (or even new old stock) MB could blow up as well and brings you back to square 1.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

6 hours ago, LAOK said:

So will any of these work with this CPU? Is there no Intel/AMD version sockets like with the most recent ones?

There are amd and intel sockets.

B150 and B250 are intel chipsets on intel 1151 socket.

13 hours ago, LAOK said:

So will any of these work with this CPU? Is there no Intel/AMD version sockets like with the most recent ones

B150, B250, Z170 etc. are all Intel chipsets, and they will all have the LGA 1151 v1 socket, so any of them will guaranteed work with a 6700K.

Ignore motherboards with the LGA 1151 v2 socket, like B360, Z370, and H310. They will fit the CPU physically but they are not wired the same way, so the system won't turn on

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Not sure what you mea

14 hours ago, LAOK said:

Not sure what you mean by AMD. Your Intel CPU needs that specific Intel socket and Intel chipset. There is no compatibility to an AMD system. In addition Intel needs very specific chipset and may not work even if it is the right socket. Look at the CPU compatibility list of the MB. Typically Intel break compatibility every 2 generations even if the socket is called the same (AMD is better in that regard)

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

14 hours ago, Lurking said:

I wouldn't invest $ in a platform with uncertain W11 support and possible EOL in 10/2025. Unless Linux is an option.

Old MB are pricy. May as well get  AM4 or similar if the RAM is good. 

And a used (or even new old stock) MB could blow up as well and brings you back to square 1.

I understand what you mean, but I'm not looking to pick up a new system. I already have a complete rig. All I want is to move it into a smaller box. I guess another option would be finding a small form factor case that can still fit a full ATX size board. That would probably be cheaper too, but I haven't been able to find anything.

PS. I would still sit on Win 7 if that was feasible.x)

2 hours ago, Lurking said:

Not sure what you mea

Not sure what you mean by AMD. Your Intel CPU needs that specific Intel socket and Intel chipset. There is no compatibility to an AMD system. In addition Intel needs very specific chipset and may not work even if it is the right socket. Look at the CPU compatibility list of the MB. Typically Intel break compatibility every 2 generations even if the socket is called the same (AMD is better in that regard)

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

B150, B250, Z170 etc. are all Intel chipsets, and they will all have the LGA 1151 v1 socket, so any of them will guaranteed work with a 6700K.

Ignore motherboards with the LGA 1151 v2 socket, like B360, Z370, and H310. They will fit the CPU physically but they are not wired the same way, so the system won't turn on

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

There are amd and intel sockets.

B150 and B250 are intel chipsets on intel 1151 socket.

Thank you all for clarifying. I mixed up the socket and the chipset and got confused. I was just looking for a name to search on Ebay with. Checking every board one by one with PCPP doesn't sound very fun.x)

I wouldn't buy a cheap case with no cooling. That is just e-waste. 

What RAM do you have for that? 

If I was you I'd look into these options:

- research what a new MB and case cost and decide based on that. You may be surprised to see a newer MB/CPU combo may cost less than an old MB. 

- buy nothing before you actually need a PC. If you need Windows, there is always the possibility that CPU will be useless after 10/2025. 

- Consider selling what you have. If you don't have a current need, those $50 you may get are more useful and don't require addl. money to use. That also would be best for environment since whoever buys it, uses it and doesn't buy something new.

I own a 6100 series dual core that runs W11. But MS could decide to not allow updates at any time. If the MB breaks, that CPU also will be  disposed off. 

I also have a 6700 (non-K) on W10. It is OK for browsing, YT,MS Office etc. But really not something I would invest any $ in. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

23 hours ago, Lurking said:

I wouldn't buy a cheap case with no cooling. That is just e-waste. 

What RAM do you have for that? 

If I was you I'd look into these options:

- research what a new MB and case cost and decide based on that. You may be surprised to see a newer MB/CPU combo may cost less than an old MB. 

- buy nothing before you actually need a PC. If you need Windows, there is always the possibility that CPU will be useless after 10/2025. 

- Consider selling what you have. If you don't have a current need, those $50 you may get are more useful and don't require addl. money to use. That also would be best for environment since whoever buys it, uses it and doesn't buy something new.

I own a 6100 series dual core that runs W11. But MS could decide to not allow updates at any time. If the MB breaks, that CPU also will be  disposed off. 

I also have a 6700 (non-K) on W10. It is OK for browsing, YT,MS Office etc. But really not something I would invest any $ in. 

I understand what you mean and really appreciate the input, but I would just like to keep this pc around. As a spare machine, just in case, or for some occasional odd use. It is still running Windows 7, like I mentioned, I wish all my machines could.:') So it is long since "out of date".

Tho for some reason I completely blanked out the fact that the Windows license is tied to the board. So getting a new one is not really an option.

At the end of the day all I want is to put it in a smaller box, so that it will take as little space as possible while not in use. It's currently sitting in a Define R5 case, which is a chunky boy. So I will try and sell it, if there is any market for this at all.