incorrect displayport version on (LG 27GN800) w/ RTX 2060 Super

Hey guys, 

The Issue

So I've purchased LG's 27GN800 a couple of days ago. I'm running into this error "an incorrect displayport version setting will cause the screen to be blank".  I've tried switching the display port version to 1.2, and 1.1, but when I switch the versions I get this instead "No Signal, Entering Power Saving Mode".

I get this issue whenever I'm playing games. Yesterday, I was playing GTA V and the monitor just went blank when a cut scene started. I also tried launching Sons Of The Forest, and the monitor immediately went blank. I was using display port version 1.4 while doing this. After a couple of tries I switched the dp version to 1.2 and capped the monitor to 120hz, and everything was working fine again, but the next day same thing happened again. So I messed with the refresh rate and fps cap again and it was working again for a while but then I got the same blank screen but this time it showed "No Signal, Entering Power Saving Mode" instead of "an incorrect displayport version setting will cause the screen to be blank". The displayport version setting error goes away whenever I switch to dp version 1.2 or 1.1.

One thing that occurred to me is that the monitor is going blank whenever I hit a certain refresh rate or a resolution. I could be wrong though, but this is the only thing that makes sense to me. I'm not sure if it's a combination of both or it's one of those two or what's the specific refresh rate. I have tried doing the same with hdmi cable, but I get "no signal". At this point capping the refresh rate at 60hz works most of the times, but I want to utilize 144hz which is supported by my monitor. 

I have reached out to LG but their Engineer's don't know a thing about this. 🥲

Solutions that I have and found and tried.

I have tried installing latest graphic card driver, and the monitor driver. It doesn't work, the only difference I saw was the monitor was identifying as "PnP Generic Monitor" in device manager before I installed the latest drivers. After updating the monitor drivers it identified as "LGUltraGear DisplayPort".

I have tried unplugging ever cable and letting it sit like that for 30 seconds but the issue still persists. The CPU stays on, but the monitor goes blank. The graphic cards fan is spinning and the temperature's are also normal. 40-45 while idle and 80 when I play something like GTA or Cyberpunk 2077.

I have tried uninstalling graphic drivers in safe mode by using Display Driver Uninstaller

I have tried resetting my monitor's settings. 

Here are my specs. 

• GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X 8G (rev. 2.0)  (I have read somewhere that 2060 has 1.4a dp version, but it should be backwards compatible, right? correct me if I'm wrong)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHZ
  • Cooler Master MWE 650w Power Supply

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

That sounds like your cable is dying or faulty. Have you tried using a new DP cable?

I purchased the monitor 2 days ago, mate. It's a brand new cable. I haven't tried using other cable. I remember seeing the same error when I opened the box and plugged the monitor for the first time.

7 minutes ago, Saurabh14 said:

I purchased the monitor 2 days ago, mate. It's a brand new cable. 

Manufacturing defects do happen. It could be that the monitor itself is faulty. Or that it came with a faulty cable. You also didn't specify in the OP that the cable was the one the monitor came with - I had no way of knowing whether it was an older cable or not, which is why I said "dying or faulty" and not simply "dying."

Presumably you had your computer before you bought this new monitor, and you weren't having issues before. That suggests to me that the issue is with the new monitor or its cable, because you only started having issues after you got it, and not before.

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Manufacturing defects do happen. It could be that the monitor itself is faulty. Or that it came with a faulty cable. You also didn't specify in the OP that the cable was the one the monitor came with - I had no way of knowing whether it was an older cable or not, which is why I said "dying or faulty" and not simply "dying."

Presumably you had your computer before you bought this new monitor, and you weren't having issues before. That suggests to me that the issue is with the new monitor or its cable, because you only started having issues after you got it, and not before.

Yeah, I got my pc a few years back and I got a new monitor this week. 

I just want to make sure that my graphics card is compatible with the monitor. 

2 minutes ago, Saurabh14 said:

Yeah, I got my pc a few years back and I got a new monitor this week. 

Since you also had issues when trying to use an HDMI cable, I'd try returning or exchanging the monitor. It may be faulty - which can happen either as a result of a manufacturing defect or could be damage from shipping.

With electronics, there's something called the "bathtub curve" for failures. You get a lot of failures from products right away - as a result of defects or shipping damage - and then products tend to work for a long time without issues. After that, you get a ton of failures again as components age.

So if you are going to have a product fail, it will generally happen either in the first few months, or it will take years to happen.

2 minutes ago, Saurabh14 said:

I just want to make sure that my graphics card is compatible with the monitor. 

It is compatible. DP 1.4a is backwards and forwards compatible, HDMI 2.0 is forwards and backwards compatible as well.

There is no reason that the card would work with your old monitor, but not work with this new one, as far as compatibility is concerned. DP 1.4a can handle 1440p 144Hz just fine, and HDMI 2.0 should be able to do 1440p 120Hz at least.

10 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It is compatible. DP 1.4a is backwards and forwards compatible, HDMI 2.0 is forwards and backwards compatible as well.

There is no reason that the card would work with your old monitor, but not work with this new one, as far as compatibility is concerned. DP 1.4a can handle 1440p 144Hz just fine, and HDMI 2.0 should be able to do 1440p 120Hz at least.

Thanks for confirming that. I reached out to the customer support a couple of hours ago and they said your machine might be faulty and I told then that it's not. Lol

Will see how the exchange goes. I think it's going to be hard to convince them because the blank screen happens randomly and they want to see that happening in person. I happened to record it a few times so I guess that should be enough evidence but still who knows..

3 minutes ago, Saurabh14 said:

Thanks for confirming that. I reached out to the customer support a couple of hours ago and they said your machine might be faulty and I told then that it's not. Lol

Will see how the exchange goes. I think it's going to be hard to convince them because the blank screen happens randomly and they want to see that happening in person. I happened to record it a few times so I guess that should be enough evidence but still who knows..

Are you not able to just return it in exchange for another one? You've only had it for a few days.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Are you not able to just return it in exchange for another one? You've only had it for a few days.

The engineer that visited today didn't know what was going on so he called his senior and they also had no idea. They said they will send the videos I provided to a branch office to see what they can do. I'll try to ask them for an exchange tomorrow and see how that goes.  

11 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

So I hooked up my machine to a 4k TV and ran some stress tests, but the display kept turning off while the GPU fans and other components continued to run. The monitor didn't go blank all the time, and I was able to complete some tests, but the majority of the time the display would turn off while everything else was running.

I did the same with the LG monitor and same thing happens. 

I've used FurMark for stress test with it's FHD, QHD & UHD preset. (The display turns off immediately after I click run stress test and the both the cpu and gpu keeps running and the fans are also running).

I've also tried MSI Kombuster with following presets. 

(GL) msi-01 (The display turns off immediately after I click run stress test and the both the cpu and gpu keeps running and the fans are also running).

(GL) msi-02 (PhysX4 CPU - medium) (The display turns off immediately after I click run stress test and the both the cpu and gpu keeps running and the fans are also running).

And the following two tests work 5 out of 10 times on different resolutions from 1080p to 4K. 

(VK) FurMark-MSI)

(VK) FurMark-MSI)

Am I doing the stress test correctly? During some of the tests the display stayed on till the end of the test. The GPU usage was 99% and the temps were between 65-75 Celsius. 

I've started to have doubts that the gpu might be dying as I have been using it for 4 years, but I don't know how to make sure that it is indeed the GPU, and if the GPU is dying then why are it's fans running even when the display turns off? Btw, I've tested all of the display ports and HDMI port of the GPU and same thing happens with every one of them, and I didn't do a stress test with DisplayPort because the TV doesn't have a display port. One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that I've never used the display port of the GPU until I got the LG 27GN800 3 days ago because my old monitor didn't have a display port. I was using it with HDMI. 

The fans continuing to run is normal behavior. They run because of their fan curves based on temperature as long as the system is powered on - whether it is functioning properly is largely irrelevant.

Those results sound like they could be a GPU issue, but they seem strange to me. Generally, with a dying GPU, you end up with artifacting - odd colors, weird geometry, seeing tons of boxes or patterns on the screen, something like that. The display simply shutting off, with no flashing or artifacting when you start a stress test is unusual.

Do you have any spare GPU you can test against, or a second computer to put your 2060S in, to check that it's not a Windows issue?

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

The fans continuing to run is normal behavior. They run because of their fan curves based on temperature as long as the system is powered on - whether it is functioning properly is largely irrelevant.

Those results sound like they could be a GPU issue, but they seem strange to me. Generally, with a dying GPU, you end up with artifacting - odd colors, weird geometry, seeing tons of boxes or patterns on the screen, something like that. The display simply shutting off, with no flashing or artifacting when you start a stress test is unusual.

Do you have any spare GPU you can test against, or a second computer to put your 2060S in, to check that it's not a Windows issue?

Yeah, it seems strange to me too.

Most of the times when the display turns off, I can sometimes hear the in-game sounds, discord voice chat, and the music I'm playing on Spotify. 

I might just take the entire cabinet to the shop I got the pc from and swap every component to see what the issue is. 

One thing that I'm thinking about is whether or not my power supply is providing enough power. The TV I connected to is 55' inch 4K TV, and before getting this monitor I had a basic 21' inch IPS 1080p monitor. Not sure if 650w of supply is enough. 

I have this

Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2 Power Supply - Non-Modular | 80 Plus Bronze Certified | 120mm HDB Fan | DC-to-DC Circuit Design | 2 EPS Connector | ATX 2.52 Version | 650 Waty

On 11/23/2023 at 10:20 PM, Saurabh14 said:

Yeah, it seems strange to me too.

Most of the times when the display turns off, I can sometimes hear the in-game sounds, discord voice chat, and the music I'm playing on Spotify. 

I might just take the entire cabinet to the shop I got the pc from and swap every component to see what the issue is. 

Okay, so I never thought it would be this, but the surge protector/power strip was busted. I've changed it and have been running my pc for about 6 hours, and I did a stress for 3 hours. No blank screen so far. 

And the "an incorrect displayport version setting will cause the screen to be blank" doesn't seem like a warning message, but it's like a reminder. That's what the guy from the computer store said.