Issues with DRAM frequency after installing a new RAM stick

Kamran2001
Go to solution Solved by Kamran2001,
19 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

Sometimes modules not of the same batch are not fully compatible between them.

Maybe try switching them around and make sure they are fully seated in their slot.

As for setting the RAM speed at 1600 MHz, make sure you are setting the base clock at 100MHz and the multiplier at x8.0 (you currently run at 100x6.67).

It is also a good idea to clear the CMOS battery in case you haven't already done so.

21 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

stupid question, have you changed the cmos battery?

Thank you all for your help, I performed BIOS hard reset by removing the CMOS Battery for 5 minutes and everything is working as it should now!

The computer is almost 8 years old and I'm planning to make it a little server for my personal usages by upgrading the very old creepy components.

Hardware Specifications (after upgrades):

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770

- Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS3 (unchanged, same old)

- RAM: Hynix 8GBx2 DDR3-1600 CL11

A DDR3-1333 old RAM stick was installed before (with a Hynix 8GB 1600MHz) and today I finally replaced it with another Hynix module to get that 16GB 1600MHz memory, but at the first boot I loaded into BIOS and it says both sticks are running at 1333MHz so I went to the settings and manually set the DRAM frequency to 1600MHz instead of Auto. After the restart I went into BIOS again and nothing have changed, changed the voltage from 1.5V to 1.65V but even the voltage stayed the same as 1.5V after restart, basically none of the settings I change about DRAM are applying after saving and restart.

Both the CPU and Motherboard supports DDR3 1600MHz DRAM so I'm not suspecting hardware limitations, when I go to HWiNFO or CPU-Z they say the modules are running at 665.2MHz which makes sense since its dual channel and 665.2MHz*2=1333MHz.

What is wrong and how do I get that 1600MHz?

Annotation 2023-11-22 165001.png

Annotation 2023-11-22 165718.png

40 minutes ago, Kamran2001 said:

After the restart I went into BIOS again and nothing have changed

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

42 minutes ago, Kamran2001 said:

The computer is almost 8 years old and I'm planning to make it a little server for my personal usages by upgrading the very old creepy components.

Hardware Specifications (after upgrades):

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770

- Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS3 (unchanged, same old)

I used to have a Asrock mobo with i5 4750 and it just didn't handle 1600MHz.

I know it should, the components manufacturer said they would - but they didn't.
I once succeded and could run the PC with 1600MHz for about an hour or two, but then it crashed and started restarting loop until I switched it back to 1333.

Maybe I was just the one in million that this happened to me - but it did.

I didn't really care because it was a PC I later gave my parents as a ,,TV-PC" to do certain things instead of using Smart(dumb)TV so it didn't matter.

Maybe try switching them around and make sure they are fully seated in their slot.

As for setting the RAM speed at 1600 MHz, make sure you are setting the base clock at 100MHz and the multiplier at x8.0 (you currently run at 100x6.67).

It is also a good idea to clear the CMOS battery in case you haven't already done so.

19 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

21 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thank you all for your help, I performed BIOS hard reset by removing the CMOS Battery for 5 minutes and everything is working as it should now!