R9 290x - MSI vs ASUS vs Sapphire

Go to solution Solved by Bagmup,

Why would you go with Sapphire, didn't they just slap on their cooler to the reference model? is it good enough to compete with the ASUS one, I've read a few articles about the temperature (Which i was surprised with) which are good, but I've also read some negative reviews about how the heatsinks are bad or something.

The asus cooler is the same as the one they put on their 780's, it's not optimised for the 290 at all.

Basically, sapphire make the best amd cards, of course this is my opinion only.

I can't decide between which GPU to get.

I've heard problems for the Sapphire card, 

Here's some pictures and stuff:

asus-sapphire-290x-645x519.png

five_pictures2_3016_20131210150638_g.png

I love the red on the MSI one, but I'm not sure if I should go with ASUS or consider Sapphire.

Help please!

Out of those I'd take the Asus one because it's the quietest one and the sexyiest one. 

I heard good things about all.

People usually really like MSI and ASUS, which is personally my favourite. I think the ASUS also has a choice of colours to stick on the cooler, IIRC.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Anything for overclock-ability, I might try that down the road.

Sapphire. Hands down

Why would you go with Sapphire, didn't they just slap on their cooler to the reference model? is it good enough to compete with the ASUS one, I've read a few articles about the temperature (Which i was surprised with) which are good, but I've also read some negative reviews about how the heatsinks are bad or something.

In terms of CS:  MSI > Sapphire > Asus

In terms of the card itself:  Sapphire > Asus > MSI

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Out of those I'd take the Asus one because it's the quietest one and the sexyiest one.

Actually I've heard it's pretty loud, at least according to TTL when he reviewed the Matrix version (uses the same fin and fan assembly)

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Guys the Asus one had some issues with cooling, as the only one actual heatpipe was touching the gpu dye

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

The asus cooler is the same as the one they put on their 780's, it's not optimised for the 290 at all.

Basically, sapphire make the best amd cards, of course this is my opinion only.

Slapping their cooler to the reference model is pretty much exactly what most companies do, and theres nothing wrong with it tbh. The cooler is usually the main thing about the aftermarket cards. 

Since i'll be getting the MSI Gaming 9 AC (When it comes out) would there be any benefit in getting the MSI one (i'm assuming as they are made by the same company that it may be better) would there be any benefit?

Actually I've heard it's pretty loud, at least according to TTL when he reviewed the Matrix version (uses the same fin and fan assembly)

I used two 780ti version of those for a while and they were pretty quiet so I was assuming that it would be the same. 

I used two 780ti version of those for a while and they were pretty quiet so I was assuming that it would be the same.

Not even close. TTL reviewed the 780ti and 290X Matrix at the same time and stated that the 290X was significantly louder, and that the fans were running at a high rpm the entire time.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Since i'll be getting the MSI Gaming 9 AC (When it comes out) would there be any benefit in getting the MSI one (i'm assuming as they are made by the same company that it may be better) would there be any benefit?

I asked this in the past - answer I go was no, there is no reason performance-wise as to why you should.

PowerColor PCS+ is the coolest one

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Asus use the same cooler they use on GK110 cards. GTX780s die size is much larger compare to 290s hence only partial of the cooler/heatpipe actually touching and cooling the Hawaii card.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Is all the above thesame for r9 290(non-x) cards? I might have to reconsider going to buy an asus r9 290 instead of one of those (imho) ugly black+yellowish sapphire banana's. Those sapphire cards are also 30euros==around 50dollar. More expensive than the asus ones. The powercolor pcs+ is 3slot is that true? If yes I think it might have some problems when put in crossfire... I know a lot of people that have MSI Gaming r9 290(x) reported the cards started throtteling when they where put in crossfire configuration.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Is all the above thesame for r9 290(non-x) cards? I might have to reconsider going to buy an asus r9 290 instead of one of those (imho) ugly black+yellowish sapphire banana's. Those sapphire cards are also 30euros==around 50dollar. More expensive than the asus ones. The powercolor pcs+ is 3slot is that true? If yes I think it might have some problems when put in crossfire... I know a lot of people that have MSI Gaming r9 290(x) reported the cards started throtteling when they where put in crossfire configuration.

PCS+ is pretty much triple slot but takes only two slots on the brackets. It's the cooolest though

PCS+ is pretty much triple slot but takes only two slots on the brackets. It's the cooolest though

Well I'm afraid its going to have problems with cooling when I put two of them in crossfire because there is only 3 slots spacing between the pci-e brackets...

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Well I'm afraid its going to have problems with cooling when I put two of them in crossfire because there is only 3 slots spacing between the pci-e brackets...

That should be plenty, as long as you have at least two fans in your case. I'm going to CF my PCS+

That should be plenty, as long as you have at least two fans in your case. I'm going to CF my PCS+

I'm planning to do 2x140mm intake, 3x120mm intake and 3x140mm outtake... But nevermind, there are only 3 shops here in the Netherlands that sell the card out of the 40 or so I checked... Its cheapest at a shop I've had such horrible experience with I'm never buying anything there anymore so that makes the cheapest card 40euro's (12%) more expensive then the Asus DCUII and 20 euro's more expensive then the tri-x card..

So I think I'll just play it safe and go for the tri-x one and get a nice red+black brushed alu backplate for it to make fit atleast a bit into my color-scheme....