Reddit vs PC Part Picker vs LTT Forum – Where Should YOU Go for Build Advice?

Plouffe
2 minutes ago, stenchlord said:

All I hear is hearsay with no facts to back it up.

Is it the best PSU? No, it has limitations due to budget. That doesn't make it bad.

It's capable of delivering the full power, it has good ripple suppression, uses decent caps and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Perhaps if you researched parts properly, you'd be able to recommend actual good value for performance builds.

I won't touch a PSU that has less than a 10 year warranty.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

4 minutes ago, stenchlord said:

Is it the best PSU? No, it has limitations due to budget. That doesn't make it bad.

It's capable of delivering the full power, it has good ripple suppression, uses decent caps and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Perhaps if you researched parts properly, you'd be able to recommend actual good value for performance builds.

I'll tell ya what. Go register on Tom's Hardware and/or TPU and send a PM to Jonnyguru and ask him his thoughts on that psu.

26 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/  

Tier C Low-end 
Corsair | CX-M 2021 – CV 650/750W

Don't take this the wrong way but I wouldn't live and die on such a PSU tier list. If you have seen recent GN and LTT videos for testing PSU's it's been well demonstrated that these types of lists are inherently flawed. Any list constructed by looking at design aspects simply aren't that worthwhile.

Unless the PSU has been tested properly including all safety features and those safety features are within expected operational bounds then and only then can you know it actually has those safety protections.

Corsair CX650M

image.png.59a55e48920d3a85e80a828063dcf535.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-cxm-series-650w/12.html

I don't see any reason to be calling it rubbish or shouldn't be used. There are better, often for more money, but this isn't such a great risk to use. 5V OCP percentage is the only one that's high enough to raise any concern levels with me, not enough to say don't ever use it.

I also do not agree with the requirements and metrics for the Tiers being used there. I'll weight tested and functional safety over slightly better ripple or power efficiency literally every time, I'll strongly wager there are B Tier PSUs in that list that are worse than some C Tier in this regard.

Just now, leadeater said:

Don't take this the wrong way but I wouldn't live and die on such a PSU tier list. If you have seen recent GN and LTT videos for testing PSU's it's been well demonstrated that these types of lists are inherently flawed. Any list constructed by looking at design aspects simply aren't that worthwhile.

Unless the PSU has been tested properly including all safety features and those safety features are within expected operational bounds then and only then can you know it actually has those safety protections.

Corsair CX650M

image.png.59a55e48920d3a85e80a828063dcf535.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-cxm-series-650w/12.html

I don't see any reason to be calling it rubbish or shouldn't be used. There are better, often for more money, but this isn't such a great risk to use. 5V OCP percentage is the only one that's high enough to raise any concern levels with me, not enough to say don't ever use it.

I also do not agree with the requirements and metrics for the Tiers being used there. I'll weight tested and functional safety over slightly better ripper or power efficiency literally every time, I'll strongly wager there are B Tier PSUs in that list that are worse than some C Tier in this regard.

Someone tried to fit that psu into a build on Tom's and Johnny jumped into the thread and put in his two cents and it wasn't anything good in regards to that psu.

4 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Someone tried to fit that psu into a build on Tom's and Johnny jumped into the thread and put in his two cents and it wasn't anything good in regards to that psu.

Context though? Was it being recommend in a build with a 4090? Because if so, then yes that's a stupid decision.

The build I posted wouldn't even push 400W under full synthetic load, while gaming the system would prolly be pulling 300W total. The CX650M is more than capable of that without breaking a sweat.

RYZEN 7 5700X | TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS | 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB 3600MHZ CL18 | ASUS DUAL OC RTX 4060Ti

9 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

I'll tell ya what. Go register on Tom's Hardware and/or TPU and send a PM to Jonnyguru and ask him his thoughts on that psu.

JG isn't going to trash talk one of his employer's products.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

JG isn't going to trash talk one of his employer's products.

He's already been there and done that.

10 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Yes, and he is very opinionated and doesn't always have the buyers best interest in mind or weighting the real world risk as much as he should. Technical flaws are one thing, it actually leading to failures and damage to other parts is entirely different.

Put it this way, when it does we know about it. GN grenade PSU meme happened for a reason and the CX650M has been in the market far too long to not demonstrate systemic issues if they did actually exist and were meaningful.

Sometimes "fine" actually is good enough. Something doesn't have to be "good" and something doesn't have to be "bad".

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes, and he is very opinionated and doesn't always have the buyers best interest in mind or weighting the real world risk as much as he should. Technical flaws are one thing, it actually leading to failures and damage to other parts is entirely different.

Put it this way, when it does we know about it. GN grenade PSU meme happened for a reason and the CX650M has been in the market far too long to not demonstrate systemic issues if they did actually exist and were meaningful.

Sometimes "fine" actually is good enough. Something doesn't have to be "good" and something doesn't have to be "bad".

If I was posting a build for someone who lives in Bananaland aka 3rd world country and that was their only choice then I might consider puting that psu in a build ... but that's a big if.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Agreed.

Let me also state for the record I'm not saying it's the best PSU or even the best PSU in the price bracket.

It just happen to fit the budget for the recommendation I wanted to make and it's not going to blow up when powered on.

I'm also not averse to choosing a quality part even if it's not going to give a performance increase (e.g. The SSD I recommended. I could have gone with a 1TB PCIe 3.0 QLC SSD with no DRAM but instead I chose the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 because it uses TLC and has DRAM.)

RYZEN 7 5700X | TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS | 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB 3600MHZ CL18 | ASUS DUAL OC RTX 4060Ti

8 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

If I was posting a build for someone who lives in Bananaland aka 3rd world country and that was their only choice then I might consider puting that psu in a build ... but that's a big if.

I would like to actually know why you think it's so terrible and unsafe then? Genuinely actually want to know, in your words here on this forum. So far multiple reviews shows no problems with minor points about either just 5VSB or minor rail trigger points being a little high with every safety feature tested and working.

So are you saying these tests are flawed, not true, or something else. I'd really like to know why and how you've set your opinion on this PSU.

I would like to actually know why you think it's so terrible and unsafe then? Genuinely actually want to know, in your words here on this forum. So far multiple reviews shows no problems with minor points about either just 5VSB or minor rail trigger points being a little high with every safety feature tested and working.

So are you saying these tests are flawed, not true, or something else. I'd really like to know why and how you've set your opinion on this PSU.

I'm saying Johnny had nothing good to say about that psu when he posted on Tom's and that pretty much sold me.

3 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

I'm saying Johnny had nothing good to say about that psu when he posted on Tom's and that pretty much sold me.

Yes you have said that, and I'd like to hear it in your words as to what is the actual problem.

I hate Pepsi, I would never recommend Pepsi to anyone. Is Pepsi bad?

42 minutes ago, stenchlord said:

What about an Apevia prestige Apevia Prestige 800 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (ATX-RP800W) - PCPartPicker

Or a thermaltake BM3? Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (PS-SPD-0750MNFABU-3) - PCPartPicker

Also what's everyone's obsession with a 4070?

Might not be right under budget but still

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte A620M GAMING X Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($43.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($499.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse G300A (1 Fan) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1019.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-20 12:17 EST-0500

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

5 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

By nothing good. do you mean he didn't praise it or that he damned it?
because I would say calling something as low end but fine, not saying anything good, but also not an issue.

Yes you have said that, and I'd like to hear it in your words as to what is the actual problem.

Am I supposed to find a three year old post. He jumped a poster on there for squeezing that psu into a build just so he could come in under the OP's budget. I've went rounds with Johnny before but he was pretty opinionated with that psu.

1 minute ago, filpo said:

What about an Apevia prestige Apevia Prestige 800 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (ATX-RP800W) - PCPartPicker

Or a thermaltake BM3? Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (PS-SPD-0750MNFABU-3) - PCPartPicker

Might not be right under budget but still

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte A620M GAMING X Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($43.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($499.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse G300A (1 Fan) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1019.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-20 12:17 EST-0500

According to the link posted by @Why_Me

Both those PSUs are also C-Tier trash paperweights...

I personally have not had any experiences with them nor have I seen reviews for them so am not in a position to rate or comment on their quality.

As for why the 4070, DLSS just looks better to me and drivers tend to be more reliable as well.

1 minute ago, stenchlord said:

According to the link posted by @Why_Me

Both those PSUs are also C-Tier trash paperweights...

I personally have not had any experiences with them nor have I seen reviews for them so am not in a position to rate or comment on their quality.

As for why the 4070, DLSS just looks better to me and drivers tend to be more reliable as well.

Just so we are 100% clear
C-tier is LOW end

NOT TRASH
There is absolutely nothing wrong with C-tier PSU for 90% of PC builds and it is expensive to people to suggest otherwise.

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

NOT TRASH

Johnny:

image.jpeg.35f9d553eaa54edd3a834707753f4b47.jpeg

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Just so we are 100% clear
C-tier is LOW end

NOT TRASH
There is absolutely nothing wrong with C-tier PSU for 90% of PC builds and it is expensive to people to suggest otherwise.

I was being facetious.

The CX650M I originally recommended is in C-tier...

7 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Am I supposed to find a three year old post. He jumped a poster on there for squeezing that psu into a build just so he could come in under the OP's budget. I've went rounds with Johnny before but he was pretty opinionated with that psu.

I was hoping you actually remembered what the actual problem was, that's not a high expectation. You don't have to find the post. But there is a few problems here, the CX-M PSU has undergone multiple upgrades over time so some old comments about the 2016 revision may have nothing to do with the 2021 revision.

With that said Johnny here on this very forum has said both the 2016 and 2021 CX-M are fine and to buy either

image.thumb.png.f764f5c01b7b144b5d606672f051fd8b.png

image.thumb.png.72fe380fa31eb962a4caec1fe1f980de.png

image.thumb.png.d48b1356113d20183a35d9e36820bba8.png

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1406027-two-different-same-psus-from-corsair/page/2/

So I've seen multiple reviews give this recommendations for budget build and proven good safety feature functionality and no concerns raised in forum posts by him here. That's why I want to know what you actually think is wrong with it, aside from maybe it no longer being relevant to the 2021 variant.

22 minutes ago, filpo said:

Better fit for the "wants to stream" requirement. AMD cards are also fine but as you saw in the video the performance reduction was more than with the Nvidia for whatever reason.

There are a lot of aspects I really liked in @Why_Me build it's just that unfortunately going with more premium parts in general lead to a lower performance GPU to fit in the budget. My ideal would have been to buy most of the parts, wait and spend a little extra to get the GPU but that was never going to be an option for this video project LTT did.

Also getting a super cheap used Nvidia GPU off ebay just for stream encoding is a thing to, Pascal generation is just fine for that.

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't think this is quite a fair analogy because liking Pepsi is entirely a matter of opinion, whereas whether a PSU is good, bad, or in between is something we should be able to determine objectively.

Even if we take the so-called cultists' list as Gospel truth, a C-rated unit certainly isn't in the "trash" or "never use" realm. Although for a $1000 budget build it would be nice to do better. 

One other thing I thought was worth addressing as I read through this discussion: 

1 hour ago, stenchlord said:

I still don't see the issue. As mentioned, the build recommended isn't going to come close to loading the PSU.

We need to be specific about what we mean when we talk about "loading the PSU." You should never come close to "loading the PSU" even if you have the best unit available. You want at least a couple hundred watts of headroom over your system's total draw for best efficiency and protection from sudden spikes. If your system draws 550W, that doesn't mean you buy a 550W PSU, even the greatest 550W PSU there is. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

I don't think this is quite a fair analogy because liking Pepsi is entirely a matter of opinion, whereas whether a PSU is good, bad, or in between is something we should be able to determine objectively.

It may not be fair but all I was hearing was opinion which isn't much better than Pepsi vs Coke. Coke till I die btw 😉