Reddit vs PC Part Picker vs LTT Forum – Where Should YOU Go for Build Advice?

Plouffe
7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Better fit for the "wants to stream" requirement. AMD cards are also fine but as you saw in the video the performance reduction was more than with the Nvidia for whatever reason.

There are a lot of aspects I really liked in @Why_Me build it's just that unfortunately going with more premium parts in general lead to a lower performance GPU to fit in the budget. My ideal would have been to buy most of the parts, wait and spend a little extra to get the GPU but that was never going to be an option for this video project LTT did.

Also getting a super cheap used Nvidia GPU off ebay just for stream encoding is a thing to, Pascal generation is just fine for that.

I think a modern AMD card could stream better than the dated NVENC on a Pascal card, and it would be simpler than having two cards with one just for streaming. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Better fit for the "wants to stream" requirement. AMD cards are also fine but as you saw in the video the performance reduction was more than with the Nvidia for whatever reason.

There are a lot of aspects I really liked in @Why_Me build it's just that unfortunately going with more premium parts in general lead to a lower performance GPU to fit in the budget. My ideal would have been to buy most of the parts, wait and spend a little extra to get the GPU but that was never going to be an option for this video project LTT did.

Also getting a super cheap used Nvidia GPU off ebay just for stream encoding is a thing to, Pascal generation is just fine for that.

I always recommend builds like why_me for reasons Linus brought up in the conclusion of the video, the tests were not good to it because its a future looking PC.

Replacing GPUS for more performance is relatively very cheap and very easy. It may not be the most bang for the buck today, but it will be in 3-4 years. when you can spend 250 on a used GPU to double your fps then spending 500 on a new CPU platform and getting 10% more.  Any any production tasks TODAY it will be faster in. But to be fair, that isnt what was requested or tested, and it demonstrates the weakness in my suggestions

The GPU swap is also something even the least handy person can do, CPU platform requires rebuilding the entire thing.

And OBS does support AMF, so im wondering why that wasnt a thing in the video

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I think a modern AMD card could stream better than the dated NVENC on a Pascal card, and it would be simpler than having two cards with one just for streaming. 

Sadly not actually the case. I think AMD is currently about the same as Pascal. I just suggest that as an option because if you can find one for next to nothing and get a better new GPU, Nvidia or AMD, then you can stream as much as you like without any performance reduction at all. Of course 2 GPUs in a system isn't issue free, I have a 6800 XT and 2x 3060 Ti in mine right now and it's not issue free haha.

Edited by leadeater

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I don't think this is quite a fair analogy because liking Pepsi is entirely a matter of opinion, whereas whether a PSU is good, bad, or in between is something we should be able to determine objectively.

Even if we take the so-called cultists' list as Gospel truth, a C-rated unit certainly isn't in the "trash" or "never use" realm. Although for a $1000 budget build it would be nice to do better. 

One other thing I thought was worth addressing as I read through this discussion: 

We need to be specific about what we mean when we talk about "loading the PSU." You should never come close to "loading the PSU" even if you have the best unit available. You want at least a couple hundred watts of headroom over your system's total draw for best efficiency and protection from sudden spikes. If your system draws 550W, that doesn't mean you buy a 550W PSU, even the greatest 550W PSU there is. 

Totally agree. As I mentioned in a later post though.

1 hour ago, stenchlord said:

Context though? Was it being recommend in a build with a 4090? Because if so, then yes that's a stupid decision.

The build I posted wouldn't even push 400W under full synthetic load, while gaming the system would prolly be pulling 300W total. The CX650M is more than capable of that without breaking a sweat.

RYZEN 7 5700X | TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS | 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB 3600MHZ CL18 | ASUS DUAL OC RTX 4060Ti

6 minutes ago, starsmine said:

I always recommend builds like why_me for reasons Linus brought up in the conclusion of the video, the tests were not good to it because its a future looking PC.

Replacing GPUS for more performance is relatively very cheap and very easy. It may not be the most bang for the buck today, but it will be in 3-4 years. when you can spend 250 on a used GPU to double your fps then spending 500 on a new CPU platform and getting 10% more. 

The GPU swap is also something even the least handy person can do, CPU platform requires rebuilding the entire thing.

I think there was some excellent choices in his build recommendation (choice of 5700X was great, especially considering the OP mentioned playing at 1080p) but as I originally mentioned, I think it could have done with some tweaks that could have netted some savings which could then have been put towards a better GPU for more performance.

Things like RAM and storage are relatively easy upgrade procedures that don't require a tear down of the build. Saving a little there with the intention of upgrading down the road would have been my suggestion. Asking the OP if aesthetics were important could have meant being able to go for a cheaper case that might not be as pretty but just as functional. Checking if overclocking was an option or not could have meant going for a less feature rich mainboard.

Plenty of things that could have been done.

RYZEN 7 5700X | TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS | 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB 3600MHZ CL18 | ASUS DUAL OC RTX 4060Ti

On 11/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Why_Me said:

I never volunteered for a build off contest vs Reddit nor anyone else.

We appreciate that you replied to us and were helping out someone looking for a build 🙂