6900xt Gen4x8

tjrose91

i might have to go into bios once my backup is completed but GPU is running at Gen4x8 which i understand to be Gen 3x16 speeds anyways so I'm unlikely so soo any performance loss, seems like my MOBO splits the PCIE lans and i need to change it to PCH if possible but will the 6900xt see any gains from Gen4x16 

When using Gen 4, a x8 connection is not going to make a meaningful difference for any GPU on the market. Even the RTX 4090 doesn't see a meaningful difference in performance with that amount of bandwidth - it's around 5% in some cases, but usually shows no difference. Gamers Nexus found a single example early in the 4090's life of a 14% difference, but it may have been driver related - they never followed up as far as I know.

So for your RX 6900XT, the answer is: it will almost certainly make no meaningful difference. If it does, it's probably within 5%. Maybe there's some random outlier game that's a bit more, but that's unlikely.

13 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

i might have to go into bios once my backup is completed but GPU is running at Gen4x8 which i understand to be Gen 3x16 speeds anyways so I'm unlikely so soo any performance loss, seems like my MOBO splits the PCIE lans and i need to change it to PCH if possible but will the 6900xt see any gains from Gen4x16 

Nothing you'd notice, but maybe by 1%. Noting the RTX 4090's bandwidth requirement is substantially higher, so an extreme example.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 PCI-Express Scaling - Relative Performance | TechPowerUp

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

I had a mobo that for whatever reason would not run gpus 4x16, only 4x8. It wasnt from m.2s or other pcie devices either because I tried taking everything out. Anyway I ran a 3070 on it, a 4070 and a 4090 and performance was always good. I will admit that I found it very annoying that I wasnt able to diagnose the problem but outside of that it wasnt a big deal.

31 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

When using Gen 4, a x8 connection is not going to make a meaningful difference for any GPU on the market. Even the RTX 4090 doesn't see a meaningful difference in performance with that amount of bandwidth - it's around 5% in some cases, but usually shows no difference. Gamers Nexus found a single example early in the 4090's life of a 14% difference, but it may have been driver related - they never followed up as far as I know.

So for your RX 6900XT, the answer is: it will almost certainly make no meaningful difference. If it does, it's probably within 5%. Maybe there's some random outlier game that's a bit more, but that's unlikely.

i have 4 NVME drives populating the 3 onboard NVME and an adapter for the Boot drive as i wanted the 3x4tb NVME not being on an adapter as idk why one drive died but got it RMA'd, just something i noticed with the 6900xt when i poked around in Wattman, i think the bandwidth for the 6900xt isjust above at 16gbps