What features do you look for in a smartphone?

We all have them, each with their own unique brand and style , More often we change them few years after buying one. buy we dont buy the same sh** over and over again, So made me wonder what features do you guys look for in a smartphone when you buy a new one?

So, What made you pick your smartphone? :huh: Post your comments and rants down below.

like & follow this thread if you like it..

*cough* NSA is following/watching this thread. B) *cough*

:ph34r: ninja hates tracking devices

Details separate people.

I will only buy iPhones.

Ease of use, smallish form factor, good web browser and rugged screen. Ultimately it comes down to how little tweaking I have to do to get it to suit me.

Screen size and resolution, cant be lower than 1080p and 5".

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Price to performance...

Well... Not even that, as I haven't bought a single phone I've had (all my phones are hand-me downs from my godparent when he has bought a newer phone for himself). But if I did, then it would definitely be price to performance, camera quality (wouldn't give a sh*t about megapixel count, just other things than that), OS (well... Only Android, so doesn't matter much), connectivity, battery life, looks. All in this order, but mostly only the first 3 mentioned.

Wouldn't care about resolution, as long as it's 480p or higher on a 5" screen. Size and weight doesn't matter at all.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Almost checked none of them. I couldn't care less about what fancy processing solution my phone is using as long as it works. I want a good, fluid user experience in a well-designed and well-built package. I don't care at all about OS customisation and I barely use my phone for anything else than calling, texting, internet browsing and taking the occasional picture when my DSLR is out of reach.

I would like to get a deal for 4G LTE unlimited but my operator ditched the idea :(

I look for everything that you've listed, if it's possible that someone brand of mobile devices could release a product that would be never outdated (which is probably never gonna happen since the life cycle of the mobile phone is around 6 months to 18 months).

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Wanted to change the poll view from "anyone can view" to "private"   B)

but apparently i cannnot, sorry peeps, i guess it's a one time thing. can any mod help me with this? 

:ph34r: a ninja always finds a way...

Details separate people.

I would like to get a deal for 4G LTE unlimited but my operator ditched the idea :(

I look for everything that you've listed, if it's possible that someone brand of mobile devices could release a product that would be never outdated (which is probably never gonna happen since the life cycle of the mobile phone is around 6 months to 18 months).

*Average life cycle. Some have the same phones for years either not wanting to upgrade as they don't see it necessary or can't afford a new phone every year or two (not everyone's rich / spoiled).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Honestly- how smooth does it work and how does it handle resources it has. I've changed 5 android phones and last year I switched to a Lumia 920, the OS and the lack of features compared to Android bothered me a lot, but I got used to it and MS started updating the system more often to the latest 8.1 right now. I'm more than happy with WP8.1 and it's the smoothest and most reliable mobile OS I have ever used (And yes, I have used several iPhones).

I'm not bashing Android or iOS. I just need a reliable device, I still get plenty of updates, apps are getting updated more and more often and overall I'm happy with it.

I am bothered about CPU speed up to the point where it doesn't lag on normal use, but after that I'm not bothered. Battery life is good, but I don't use my phone all that much because I can't in lessons, or I have my computer at home, so it doesn't really affect me too much. The main thing for me I guess is the performance per price, which led me to my Nexus 5.

HTTP/2 203

Aesthetics

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

The OnePlus One fits all my needs. You should add it to the poll :P

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Display, design and I prefer iOS. Storage eventually will be my iPhone killer for sure. I mean 128GB micro sd card? That's mouth watering content with you at all times, for the price to double base storage on an iPhone to 32GB.

But, umm, how about overall camera quality? That's HUGE.

ALL JOKES ASIDE:

Megapixels are just a number.

Processor speed. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

*Average life cycle. Some have the same phones for years either not wanting to upgrade as they don't see it necessary or can't afford a new phone every year or two (not everyone's rich / spoiled).

I do agree but I would argue that I'm not spoiled as you may or may not have suggested, alike most young people under 20+ I have still got a decent working mobile phone which is the htc one x upgrading later on this year but I would believe that if I could get a phone with mildly good specs that would last 5+ year with great dev+ software support it'd spend alot if I had the money. was planning to get one of htc's phone which is a more viable replacement for dedicated calling + texting no app etc which only cost 100GBP looks exactly like first original phone the sony ericsson w800.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Only battery and ease of use for me. If I were to check all of the above I would have just gotten a phablet.

hello random lurker welcome to linus tech tips

Wireless charging, software only buttons, all day battery life, stock Android, and unique design/colors (optional). That's the bare minimum. With each phone my standards tend to raise from there.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

That it's shock proof, Waterproof, has a flashlight. And i can make calls and check my e-mails. Other than that i don't give any cares what so ever

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Display, design and I prefer iOS. Storage eventually will be my iPhone killer for sure. I mean 128GB micro sd card? That's mouth watering content with you at all times, for the price to double base storage on an iPhone to 32GB.

But, umm, how about overall camera quality? That's HUGE.

ALL JOKES ASIDE:

Megapixels are just a number.

Megapixels DO matter in a phone because you don't have optical zoom so when cropping into an image having more megapixels is better.

I search for a good front and back camera, good battery, good performance for the money and from a reputable brand. Oh and stock android of course.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

@Ruostunut kokis although I would like to carry on our discussion here is a link of the htc phone I want just for calling & texting, pretty standard looking and relatively cheap for 2 functions. Forgot to mention its has the application of a remote control for a tv sweet :)

http://www.htc.com/uk/accessories/htc-mini-plus/#/

I would prefer a phone like this if it's ideally for basic use over my current smartphone.

Megapixels DO matter in a phone because you don't have optical zoom so when cropping into an image having more megapixels is better.

Having extra megapixels is helpful in that case, but sensor must be bigger too or else you can only shoot in good light. Having too many pixels crammed into a tiny sensor weakens low-light performance quite a bit (and by low-light I mean almost anything else than bright sunlight / cloudy outside light). Same applies to other things as well like dynamic range. HTC for example has acknowledged this and thus HTC's phone cameras usually beat other manufacturers' phone cameras in low-light. But you're right on cropping things to zoom.

@Ruostunut kokis although I would like to carry on our discussion here is a link of the htc phone I want just for calling & texting, pretty standard looking and relatively cheap for 2 functions. Forgot to mention its has the application of a remote control for a tv sweet :)

http://www.htc.com/uk/accessories/htc-mini-plus/#/

I would prefer a phone like this if it's ideally for basic use over my current smartphone.

Haha! Whatever floats your boat... :lol:

I guess some people like simplicity. Suit yourself. I personally like having tons of features as long as it doesn't bring the price tag too high and are actually useful...

The camera is a tiny concern for me, as I have a dedicated camera. My concerns are mainly speed, looks, and the screen.

A man of charm with strange quarks.