Optimus Laptop - Switch to Dedicated GPU

SafeArt

A few hours ago, I was playing L4D2 with my friends and after I quit the game, left the laptop on idle for a few minutes, the screen suddenly glitched and everything went black as well as it glitching very often. I thought at first that it was the iGPU dying. But after I shut it down, left it for a while and then turned it on, went to BIOS, it fixed itself. But after a while of watching YouTube, it started to do it again. This time however, even if I go to BIOS, the screen still glitches. Signalling that it might be a hardware issue. 

Therefore I came to my conclusion. Is there a way to use my dGPU which is a 940mx, to render the whole thing rather than the iGPU? Windows only fix, preferably. Don't wanna tinker around much with Linux.

21 minutes ago, SafeArt said:

A few hours ago, I was playing L4D2 with my friends and after I quit the game, left the laptop on idle for a few minutes, the screen suddenly glitched and everything went black as well as it glitching very often. I thought at first that it was the iGPU dying. But after I shut it down, left it for a while and then turned it on, went to BIOS, it fixed itself. But after a while of watching YouTube, it started to do it again. This time however, even if I go to BIOS, the screen still glitches. Signalling that it might be a hardware issue. 

Therefore I came to my conclusion. Is there a way to use my dGPU which is a 940mx, to render the whole thing rather than the iGPU? Windows only fix, preferably. Don't wanna tinker around much with Linux.

Do you have any option in BIOS to disable the iGPU? That would, I believe, be the only way. Could also be your screen that's failing.

More likely to be the dGPU failing than the integrated one...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

More likely to be the dGPU failing than the integrated one...

Agreed but I think it would be the iGPU that's used to display the BIOS. But iGPUs rarely fail so I'd guess it's the screen controller.

@SafeArt Does the glitching not occur when using the dGPU?

6 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

Do you have any option in BIOS to disable the iGPU? That would, I believe, be the only way. Could also be your screen that's failing.

I don't remember seeing the option to disable any gpu on the BIOS... And even if I could go into the BIOS, I won't be able to see where I am currently because it only shows a black screen. Aside from that, this was a new screen replacement. I also plugged an HDMI into my laptop and the output was also glitching... However, I tried moonlight to my phone and it was fine... Which was confusing.

7 minutes ago, chtorogu said:

Agreed but I think it would be the iGPU that's used to display the BIOS. But iGPUs rarely fail so I'd guess it's the screen controller.

@SafeArt Does the glitching not occur when using the dGPU?

I haven't tried... Lemme try run a game.

EDIT: The screen still glitches...

8 minutes ago, SafeArt said:

I don't remember seeing the option to disable any gpu on the BIOS... And even if I could go into the BIOS, I won't be able to see where I am currently because it only shows a black screen. Aside from that, this was a new screen replacement. I also plugged an HDMI into my laptop and the output was also glitching... However, I tried moonlight to my phone and it was fine... Which was confusing.

Not the screen then. So it either must be the iGPU or something wrong with the video processing before display from either GPU goes to your screen or HDMI.