"Image"-Show on Dvd, ghost image overlap on a lot of the quick movement...art choice or defect?

jmc111

OK, someone moves their hand and looking at their finger tip there will be a half inch of faded ghost finger tip following the movement.

Someone mentioned interlacing to me but there are not any "lines" like what I see with interlacing.

I've seen multi image movement overlaps and that was obviously an artistic choice. (any idea the name of that filter?)

But doing this on a ordinary British tv show "Strictly Confidential". Never seen it before or since.

I've read of certain video filters effect that can be reversed if you know what was used.

But I'm probably not that lucky. I imagine that once the episode is fully processed that it can't be changed back.

Thankfully this is a one series problem.

Just like to understand what they did. (not going to try for "why")

Thoughts Welcome.

Thanks!

Hard to say without a visual example. Interlacing was my first thought too. If done raw and unprocessed it does look like two sets of lines, but one technique to deinterlace is to blend everything and it can end up looking like two images superimposed on top of each other. This is probably destructive so can't be undone.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Sounds like poor encoding, or maybe artifacts from the frame rate conversion process if you're in NTSC-land.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

StrictlyConfidential1.jpg.ff0b15fbefb2b28d3d110d479a9048a4.jpgNot use to uploading images, seems to have worked.

You can see the ghosting on the right side of shirt and ear.

The face is moving so it is "smeared". This happens a LOT but not every time.

Of course watching the show it is much less noticeable but you still know that

there is something wrong with this series.

I checked several other shows and there is no ghosting and "smearing" like what

you see here.

And none of my deinterlace setting had any affect at all on what you are looking at.

I don't know what they did here but thank goodness they stopped doing it!

1 hour ago, jmc111 said:

And none of my deinterlace setting had any affect at all on what you are looking at.

If it was the mechanism I mentioned (deinterlace blend), it can't be undone as it is destructive.

Needfuldoer makes a good point, it could also be a side effect of frame rate changes. It is an option in video editors how to handle it. One option is to blend nearest frames which can result in this effect. Again there isn't a way to undo that. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'll consider it a one off total screw up by the people that made it.

Now the story and acting are good so watch it even if it is a bit painful to see what

the ham fisted idiots did to the video.

I am in NTSC land but I order from the UK for UK shows.

Thanks for all the thoughts!