Gaming Monitor Heats too much - Best replacement options (+ LTT suggestion)

Hi, first time to the forums after exhausting all alternative places to ask, so bear with me! 

Currently: Running 2x Dell SG2417DG's bought in 2019 ; 24" 1440p 144hz 8-bit color TN Panel

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3c3d64a

Since i WFH and GameFH, these monitors served me well running 10+ hours a day typically at 75~100% brightness, BUT it generates too much heat on the monitor itself (bottom edge specifically) and it's starting to become unbearable in the room despite addressing as much as possible. 

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: What are my solutions? I'm very new to understanding monitors especially in terms of energy/watts/heat and especially panel types (TN/VA/IPS/OLED) etc. 

Ideal monitor specs: 
1)  32 inch | 4k |  ~144hz | 10-bit color
2)  27 inch | 1440p/4k | ~144hz | 10-bit color

3) 24 inch | 1440p | 144hz | 10-bit color

FYI it helps if they're thin from the sides too, as in Power Supply is NOT integrated into monitor since im mounting them and my desk is shallow depth due to space constraints

I'm very likely going to buy a pair of them too. 

If you guys happen to have some good suggestions that doesnt break the bank, please let me know! lol, that means idk buying a $1500+ monitor is almost out of the question... 

P.S. if LTT reads this, I really think energy consumption/heat output of monitors would be a good metric to add for their reviews especially if they put things in perspective with their FLIR cameras, compare it to idk, 60hz base monitor + best selling average gaming monitor with the reviewed monitor for the video. 

I want to slow down for a second.
This panel averages 33W of power consumption, with 70W peak. 
This is VERY Typical, it is not likely that we can find a monitor significantly better than that. 

the heat may be localized at the bottom edge of the monitor, but its heating the room as a closed system the exact same as any 33W monitor. 

Is your issue that it's dumping the heat over your keyboard area before it naturally defuses with the rest of the room when you say the room becomes unbearable? Thats something you can look at and find a way to modify what you already own.

ALL power consumed is distributed to the room as heat. 

21 minutes ago, Xeliox said:

Dell SG2417DG

these are quoted at 33 watts, which afaik is not exceptionally high. my early dell 4K panel is rated at 80 watts, and even that doesnt do a whole lot to room temperature... it just mostly spends time overheating itself.

22 minutes ago, Xeliox said:

f LTT reads this, I really think energy consumption/heat output of monitors would be a good metric to add for their reviews especially if they put things in perspective with their FLIR cameras, compare it to idk, 60hz base monitor + best selling average gaming monitor with the reviewed monitor for the video. 

meh.. it's largely a flat line across the whole range, aside from some outliers, and they are outliers for obvious reasons.

the TL:DR is this: a monitor is a backlight that is selectively blocked to generate an image, so brightness means heat, and pixel density means heat. past that processing pixels requires compute, and compute means heat.. so more pixels being processed also means more heat.

but in all of this.. the average person at rest produces about 105 watts of heat if the added heat load of the two monitors is a problem, having someone sitting beside you would be at least as much of a problem.. so either you have an absolutely tiny room, and you should be ventilating for oxygen reasons, or this is something that's more between your ears than it is on your desk.

i also want to mention... 75-100% brightness.. how bright is your room? i dont run any of my monitors past 20%, and if it's very bright, blocking some sunlight is probably more helpful for cooling down the room than replacing the monitors will be.

37 minutes ago, Xeliox said:

Hi, first time to the forums after exhausting all alternative places to ask, so bear with me! 

Currently: Running 2x Dell SG2417DG's bought in 2019 ; 24" 1440p 144hz 8-bit color TN Panel

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/3c3d64a

Since i WFH and GameFH, these monitors served me well running 10+ hours a day typically at 75~100% brightness, BUT it generates too much heat on the monitor itself (bottom edge specifically) and it's starting to become unbearable in the room despite addressing as much as possible. 

QUESTION TO THE FORUM: What are my solutions? I'm very new to understanding monitors especially in terms of energy/watts/heat and especially panel types (TN/VA/IPS/OLED) etc. 

Ideal monitor specs: 
1)  32 inch | 4k |  ~144hz | 10-bit color
2)  27 inch | 1440p/4k | ~144hz | 10-bit color

3) 24 inch | 1440p | 144hz | 10-bit color

FYI it helps if they're thin from the sides too, as in Power Supply is NOT integrated into monitor since im mounting them and my desk is shallow depth due to space constraints

I'm very likely going to buy a pair of them too. 

If you guys happen to have some good suggestions that doesnt break the bank, please let me know! lol, that means idk buying a $1500+ monitor is almost out of the question... 

P.S. if LTT reads this, I really think energy consumption/heat output of monitors would be a good metric to add for their reviews especially if they put things in perspective with their FLIR cameras, compare it to idk, 60hz base monitor + best selling average gaming monitor with the reviewed monitor for the video. 

Sounds like you need to get room venting. If you are in a closed box with 0 air flow, its going to heat up. Monitors like that dont consume enough power to generate heat to make a significant difference. If you are in a room with 0 ventilation, yeah its gonna heat up with the computer running until you open a door.

You need to have a window or some sort of airflow in the room, otherwise no matter what you do its just gonna heat up regardless of what you buy.

20 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Is your issue that its dumping he heat over your keyboard area before it naturally defuses with the rest of the room when you say the room becomes unbearable? 

ALL power consumed is distributed to the room as heat. 

I see, I do tend to keep my room closed because of family and such, so that actually might be the root of my problems at the end of the day. 
And Yes to that question, it is very noticably warm around that part of the desk, and there is some panel discoloration at the bottom 1~2 pixel rows that make me think its starting to die? maybe? 

18 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but in all of this.. the average person at rest produces about 105 watts of heat if the added heat load of the two monitors is a problem, having someone sitting beside you would be at least as much of a problem.. so either you have an absolutely tiny room, and you should be ventilating for oxygen reasons, or this is something that's more between your ears than it is on your desk.

i also want to mention... 75-100% brightness.. how bright is your room? i dont run any of my monitors past 20%, and if it's very bright, blocking some sunlight is probably more helpful for cooling down the room than replacing the monitors will be.

Appreciate the explaination, put a lot of things into perspective. My room at evening at max brightness forces me to use between 50~75% brightness, and during day time 100% brightness because the window is directly behind my head causing glare on the matte display. might need sheer curtains or something haha

Given that it all seems like a venting issue I will look into some solutions for my specific room, however I do eventually want to upgrade to preferably monitors i listed in the 1 or 2 priority i listed above. What would be some decent suggestions? If i can find a monitor that fits the 32 inch spec i said above WITHOUT the PSU built into the monitor, i'd buy it in a heartbeat 🙂 Also which of the panel types do you recommend for my usecase? OLED seems to still be a bit out of reach and I can never understand the better of the two between IPS/VA. 

even in a completely closed room, i don't feel any heat until my gpu goes above 300w, this isn't a monitor problem, but an airflow problem of the room itself.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Since this monitor is quouted around 33-70W, it's not the culprit of your problem. Even your own body is likely putting more heat into the room than this monitor. Open a window. If the room doesn't have any window and you have to keep the door closed, then at least install a vent into the door.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.