Seeking Recommendations for Hardware/Mini PC for pfSense Router (1Gbps/2.5Gbps)

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up a pfSense router for my 1Gbps/2.5Gbps home network. I'm looking for recommendations on suitable hardware components or pre-built mini PC systems that are known to work well with pfSense.

My primary requirements include achieving reliable throughput, using energy-efficient components, ensuring compatibility with pfSense, having the option for expansion, and selecting hardware known for its durability.

If you have specific models or brands in mind that have worked for you.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Best regards,

For a simple pre-made solution, would recommend looking at 'Protectli'. They have multiple configurations available to suit a wide variety of use cases. I'm currently running a older model, about 6 years old at this point, that I acquired used. It originally had pfsense installed on it, I installed opnsense for my personal preference; it's been running rock solid, no complaints. 

20 hours ago, BM813 said:

For a simple pre-made solution, would recommend looking at 'Protectli'. They have multiple configurations available to suit a wide variety of use cases. I'm currently running a older model, about 6 years old at this point, that I acquired used. It originally had pfsense installed on it, I installed opnsense for my personal preference; it's been running rock solid, no complaints. 

Thank you very much for your help ! I am going to look at used ones then as it seems a bit expensive for a brand-new one.

On 10/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, Adrien35 said:

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up a pfSense router for my 1Gbps/2.5Gbps home network. I'm looking for recommendations on suitable hardware components or pre-built mini PC systems that are known to work well with pfSense.

My primary requirements include achieving reliable throughput, using energy-efficient components, ensuring compatibility with pfSense, having the option for expansion, and selecting hardware known for its durability.

If you have specific models or brands in mind that have worked for you.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Best regards,

I bought myself one of these and so far it has been great. 

https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-Appliance-Processor-Ethernet-Barebone/dp/B0C7499CVL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3ISI54PPFRT9Z&keywords=n100+2.5+fanless&qid=1699027041&sprefix=n100+2.5+fanless%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3