Can a GPU affect CPU temps?

The Sergal Dude
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

If the new GPU is physically larger, it could impact airflow and in turn, temperatures.

Your temperatures are within the safe zone still, I'd worry when they start crossing 100 degrees. If you're concerned, you can try buying a new CPU cooler or adding some case fans to improve airflow.

My setup:
  • Intel Core i5 11400F (Stock cooler, the newer black one with the copper core)
  • ASUS Phoenix 3060 (12GB)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Motherboard: PRIME H510M-K

I recently upgraded from a 970 to a 3060. I'm playing the same games with the same graphical settings, on the same Windows installation, without making any changes. However, my CPU is hitting temperatures up to 100ºC, and I assume it's throttling to prevent overheating.

I checked if I had accidentally bumped the cooler while installing the GPU and dislodged the plastic clips, which are notorious for coming off with the slightest breeze of air. But everything was in place. I even lifted the cooler, changed the thermal paste, and ensured it was properly attached to the motherboard. However, temperatures are still through the roof.

With the 970, I remember when I tested it, it used to idle at around 30-40 degrees and turbo at around 70-80 degrees. Now, I'm idling at 40-60 degrees and turboing at 90-100 degrees with the 3060.

My question is, does the GPU affect the CPU temps in some way? I can be playing a GPU-intensive game where the CPU is sitting at 20-30% load, and the temps are dangerously roaming around the 80-90º mark. If I play a game that hits both the CPU and GPU, it gets to 100º instantly.

image.png.41a9a6df7204a95b3852acb41507484c.pngimage.png.45493187f607c538e1a95251179225b8.png

The first picture shows temps from running Cinebench with a custom number of 2 threads, and the second picture is with all 12 threads.
Why the sudden increase in temperature? Can the GPU be an issue or is it something else?
Any help is appreciated.

If the new GPU is physically larger, it could impact airflow and in turn, temperatures.

Your temperatures are within the safe zone still, I'd worry when they start crossing 100 degrees. If you're concerned, you can try buying a new CPU cooler or adding some case fans to improve airflow.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

17 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

14th gen is a hot-running architecture. I strongly recommend getting a better CPU cooler for it, like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin series.

I agree with your other points, but this is in fact an 11th gen CPU.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

The 3060 often has a passthrough cooler so that can assist.

However what is most likely happening here is that your gtx970 was simply too weak to really load the cpu and now that you have a MUCH faster 3060 your cpu is actually finally having to put in the work.

A cheap cooler to get would be a thermalright peerless assasin 120. Its top end performance for like 35$

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The GPU is smaller funly enough (I had de 3 fans windforce version of the 970) and the case is humoungous, GPU gets it's own fan intake from the front and CPU has two exhaust fans, one at the top of the case directly above the cooler and one at the back directly behind it.

The setup looks something like this: (I still got room for one more fan at the front, any change is aiflow configuration is welcomed)

image.png.776df618ac6caad7b2d1b1f0928b05ba.png

I've been reading about others using this same GPU-CPU combo and they do not hit those temps.

I will look into getting a new cooler as the other user mentioned.

16 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

The increase in temperature is likely for two distinct reasons.

1. The TDP of the RTX 3060 is a bit higher than that of the GTX 970.
  2. Your new GPU is significantly more powerful than the one you had in there previously, and thus the CPU must work harder to keep it filled with data.

14th gen is a hot-running architecture. I strongly recommend getting a better CPU cooler for it, like the Thermalright Peerless Assassin series.

But is it really THAT MUCH more data hugry? I got the low end of the spectum specifically to avoid any bottlenecks and and I still got them LOL, I was about to get a 4060 Ti just to future proof, I'm thankful I didn't get that one then.

1 minute ago, The Sergal Dude said:

The GPU is smaller funly enough (I had de 3 fans windforce version of the 970) and the case is humoungous, GPU gets it's own fan intake from the front and CPU has two exhaust fans, one at the top of the case directly above the cooler and one at the back directly behind it.

The setup looks something like this: (I still got room for one more fan at the front, any change is aiflow configuration is welcomed)

That looks about as good as you can hope for in most cases. I applaud the DVD burner, as a physical media aficionado.

6 minutes ago, The Sergal Dude said:

But is it really THAT MUCH more data hugry? I got the low end of the spectum specifically to avoid any bottlenecks and and I still got them LOL, I was about to get a 4060 Ti just to future proof, I'm thankful I didn't get that one then.

I could see it being that much better. GTX 970 to RTX 3060 is a pretty big leap in terms of hardware capability. 4060Ti would likely be the exact same story(with regards to temperatures and utilization)as you're currently having, except the GPU will be bottlenecked by the CPU rather than the CPU keeping up with the GPU.

Two things at play here: the stock cooler on the CPU, as well as the graphics card.

If the graphics card is pushing the CPU harder(which it is very much so), that will cause it to increase in power draw, and thus heat output. Second thing is the graphics card probably draws more power than the 970 does, or is more efficient at removing heat, and thus affecting the CPU - that warmer air will be used to cool the fins on the heatsink.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thank you all for the replies, I'll be buying the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler, looks good enough. I was looking into some Nocua options... but oh boi those prices...

I will also be looking into upgrading that CPU down the line, even tho I bought it just a year ago. I have a spare case, I can throw together a rig with the leftover parts and sell it on the aftermarket to recoop some of the money.

1 hour ago, The Sergal Dude said:
My setup:
  • Intel Core i5 11400F (Stock cooler, the newer black one with the copper core)
  • ASUS Phoenix 3060 (12GB)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Motherboard: PRIME H510M-K

I recently upgraded from a 970 to a 3060. I'm playing the same games with the same graphical settings, on the same Windows installation, without making any changes. However, my CPU is hitting temperatures up to 100ºC, and I assume it's throttling to prevent overheating.

I checked if I had accidentally bumped the cooler while installing the GPU and dislodged the plastic clips, which are notorious for coming off with the slightest breeze of air. But everything was in place. I even lifted the cooler, changed the thermal paste, and ensured it was properly attached to the motherboard. However, temperatures are still through the roof.

With the 970, I remember when I tested it, it used to idle at around 30-40 degrees and turbo at around 70-80 degrees. Now, I'm idling at 40-60 degrees and turboing at 90-100 degrees with the 3060.

My question is, does the GPU affect the CPU temps in some way? I can be playing a GPU-intensive game where the CPU is sitting at 20-30% load, and the temps are dangerously roaming around the 80-90º mark. If I play a game that hits both the CPU and GPU, it gets to 100º instantly.

image.png.41a9a6df7204a95b3852acb41507484c.pngimage.png.45493187f607c538e1a95251179225b8.png

The first picture shows temps from running Cinebench with a custom number of 2 threads, and the second picture is with all 12 threads.
Why the sudden increase in temperature? Can the GPU be an issue or is it something else?
Any help is appreciated.

Yes,

The case fan usually form a expanding cone of air flow behind it, so assume the 3060 is bigger longer, the GPU block some of the air might wen to CPU.

On top of that, depend on the 3060 you have, it may have a flow through design, which means some of the air heated by the GPU are pushed right onto the RAM and infront of the CPU.

29 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

Yes,

The case fan usually form a expanding cone of air flow behind it, so assume the 3060 is bigger longer, the GPU block some of the air might wen to CPU.

On top of that, depend on the 3060 you have, it may have a flow through design, which means some of the air heated by the GPU are pushed right onto the RAM and infront of the CPU.

I have the 1 fan version, It's actually smaller than the 970. It does not have a flow through design. And I have a fan above the ram and cpu cooler (Diagram posted earlier)

Just now, The Sergal Dude said:

I have the 1 fan version, It's actually smaller than the 970. It does not have a flow through design. And I have a fan above the ram and cpu cooler (Diagram posted earlier)

The card can be wider too. But I think it's the card itself is causing it. 970 actually didn't run that hot.