Why my 5800X3D runs only at 4% eventhough my temp is 91° while gaming?

Go to solution Solved by irfankamil,

Guys I think I just figured out. Apparently my MSI afterburner is bugged? My CPU utilization in task manager shows at 70% while MSI afterburner shows only at 4%

I know CPU temp is high. I'm planning to buy a better cooler. Specs and details below:

RTX 3070

5800X3D

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

RAM 32GB

Screenshot2023-10-27163718.png.e09ddee035e251e357af1e28f88c62d6.png

3984ty9u839y.thumb.png.74517eb9de0e84688a511c70591c8433.png

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

What model of cooler do you have? Is the fan plugged in and spinning? Did you remove the plastic on the base of the cooler before installation? This is a super common mistake to make.

I'm using Wraith Prism. I have been using the cooler for years so I am sure there is no plastic at the base.

2 minutes ago, irfankamil said:

I'm using Wraith Prism. I have been using the cooler for years so I am sure there is no plastic at the base.

You've been using a wraith prism for years on a 5800X3D? Pretty sure they're only sensible to use up to something equal or less hot than a Ryzen 5.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

I think you're confusing things. Utilization percentage is not a metric to measure temperature-related performance.

If your CPU gets too hot, it will throttle frequency. This is not measured in percentage utilization.

What you're seeing is that the CPU load is low, which makes sense since you're just looking at a menu.

2 minutes ago, venomtail said:

You've been using a wraith prism for years on a 5800X3D? Pretty sure they're only sensible to use up to something equal or less hot than a Ryzen 5.

I use wraith prism on my 3700X. No I just upgraded to 5800X3D while using the same cooler

Guys I think I just figured out. Apparently my MSI afterburner is bugged? My CPU utilization in task manager shows at 70% while MSI afterburner shows only at 4%

1 minute ago, irfankamil said:

I use wraith prism on my 3700X. No I just upgraded to 5800X3D while using the same cooler

Yea old cooler not gonna cut it. Pre Zen 3 CPU's were very cool. I had a stock 280mm AIO. While it could keep it could it was at very loud noise levels, I had to upgrade the fans. Stock wraith cooler isn't gonna stand a chance. There's a reason why they don't include one with the 5800X3D.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

29 minutes ago, irfankamil said:

Are you using the latest version of AfterBurner? I've had some issues where the GPU clock speed and some others were not reported anymore. Other apps were reporting the clocks fine.

Also can't believe the comments saying to check your cooler etc. By using the Prism you're obviously fine with the temperatures. Your CPU may throttle but it's perfectly fine. I get that a good cooler is better and may even increase performance, but that wasn't your question. Your question was why the utilization % reported was so low while gaming.

9 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Are you using the latest version of AfterBurner? I've had some issues where the GPU clock speed and some others were not reported anymore. Other apps were reporting the clocks fine.

Also can't believe the comments saying to check your cooler etc. By using the Prism you're obviously fine with the temperatures. Your CPU may throttle but it's perfectly fine. I get that a good cooler is better and may even increase performance, but that wasn't your question. Your question was why the utilization % reported was so low while gaming.

A throttling CPU can often be worse than a non throttling cheaper lowered tiered one. Y spend money on a flagship if it'll throttle and start performing like a midrange product? Sure OP's GPU bottlenecked badly but CPU is already at 91~ C. 5800X3D starts throttling at 90C~.

5 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Gotcha. Check the cooler and see if the fan is spinning.

If it's spinning, shut down the PC, remove the cooler, and send a pic of the thermal paste spread pattern. I'm almost certain it's a bad mount.

and im almost certain that a wraith prism doesn't cut it for a 5800x3D... they don't even sell 5800x3D with coolers, they expect you to buy your own appropriate one (so, idk 150w minimum? )

^my 5800x3D uses ~130w easily ĺwith pbo2)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Naijin said:

Your question was why the utilization %

yeh, but the problem here really are the crazy temps,  that op uses outdated software to measure % seems like a secondary issue tbh. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity