ROG, what's so great?

Go to solution Solved by s3ns3,

nothing

So an ROG Maximus VII Hero is 230$ on newegg and an asrock z97 extreme6 is 170$.

With the extreme6, i get more sata expansion ports, an ultra m.2 connection, all the same high end componentry (12K caps, gold plated RAM slots, etc), same sound (also has that BS DTS thingy), an extra ethernet port (although not intel, it still is an extra one which would be used for a NAS for example), 2 more USB3.0 connections at the back I/O and one more USB 3.0 connector on the motherboard, same 3 year warranty and more.

What would convince me to buy the Hero, especially at a $50 premium to the Extreme6 (looks and included BS software (eg Xsplit) aside)?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Red/black color scheme. 

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

The built quality of Asus, I personally think asus's built quality is superiour to most other brands in general (for motherboards) and all the "features" like keybot.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Build quality, some of the ROG features, and how nice the board looks. At least in my opinion.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

nothing

Now this is the answer i was looking for ;)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

if u want to get asrock mobo then get it...but dont compare asus with that crap... :P

Proof? All asrock, msi, gigabyte and asus motherboards are made by foxconn. The caps of both mobos are the exact same one, made by Nichicon.

Proof?

people always complaining they have probs with asrock mobo...their built quality isnt that good...and most of the time they copy asus...

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

it looks amazing for people who care about aesthetics, ocing potential is usually amazing, and the reliability of ASUS.

people always complaining they have probs with asrock mobo...their built quality isnt that good...and most of the time they copy asus...

Proof of complaints after Z87? All motherboards have a few complaints around the internet. I do agree that asrock was bad back in 2012 and before in terms of build quality, but asus also had those moments, like with one of their P55 motherboards.

Z77 mobos and before had issues.

I have a Z87 Extreme4 in my bros rig and a Z87 Extreme9 in my film teacher's editing rig (built both myself) and there were no problems so far.

it looks amazing for people who care about aesthetics, ocing potential is usually amazing, and the reliability of ASUS.

In the question i stated it says "looks .... aside". OCing potential depends on the CPU mostly (both the extreme6 and the hero use a 12 digital power phase design). I got my bros 4670K to 4.8 with only 1.24V @ 65 degrees under load with a Z87 Extreme4 (H100i). I have had no problems so far with my bros and my film teacher's asrock boards. My friend's asus p8z77 v le had 2 caps explode last year in November.

Do not dwell on the past, embrace what is the build quality of the motherboards at this present day and do not compare asus to asrock as they were 3+ years ago.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Proof of complaints after Z87? All motherboards have a few complaints around the internet. I do agree that asrock was bad back in 2012 and before in terms of build quality, but asus also had those moments, like with one of their P55 motherboards.

Z77 mobos and before had issues.

I have a Z87 Extreme4 in my bros rig and a Z87 Extreme9 in my film teacher's editing rig (built both myself) and there were no problems so far.

still i dont prefer asrock...from beginning i saw them just copying asus...and ya i agree that they r gud ocing mobos but still...

still i dont prefer asrock...from beginning i saw them just copying asus...and ya i agree that they r gud ocing mobos but still...

:)

How are they copying Asus?

If you do want to bring up that argument, asrock used to be a sub division of asus, so naturally some asus people may have went over to asrock therefore having similar ideas.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

:)

How are they copying Asus?

If you do want to bring up that argument, asrock used to be a sub division of asus, so naturally some asus people may have went over to asrock therefore having similar ideas.

may be..i m not talking about any performance benefits...but in case of durability and product life...asus is much ahead of asrock...

Asus used to own asrock years ago they splitted but pegatron owns Asrock now and Asus owns pegatron now. Pegatron makes boards for Asus & Asrock. Thats probably why you see their uefi interfaces with a similar layout :P

Asus used to own asrock years ago they splitted but pegatron owns Asrock now and Asus owns pegatron now. Pegatron makes boards for Asus & Asrock. Thats probably why you see their uefi interfaces with a similar layout :P

Aah. I didn't know that. Good to know. Thank you for the information :)

So if both are owned by the same company, the quality control should be just the same i assume.

http://www.pegatroncorp.com/manufacturing/qualityManagement.php

may be..i m not talking about any performance benefits...but in case of durability and product life...asus is much ahead of asrock...

Again, proof?

Also, read the response to the quote above.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

:P ...but shouldnt they keep some difference in the designs for both...

its not just ROG. Asus' software shits all over Asrock. The uefi is much nicer and the board will physically be nicer to handle

nothing

Imma Rog fanboy so i dissagre with this:D

On topic:

Quality

Features

OC is amazing on those boards

Colour theme looks amazing

The prices started to go downwards since the Maximus VII XXXX so its great..

Stability

and much more i dont know about, lol

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

its not just ROG. Asus' software shits all over Asrock. The uefi is much nicer and the board will physically be nicer to handle

Perhaps, but once again, in the question that i asked, quote: "looks and included BS software (eg Xsplit) aside)".

I agree that the UEFI is nicer, but then again i am not a total noob.

How do you know it will be physically nicer to handle?

Imma Rog fanboy so i dissagre with this:D

On topic:

Quality

Features

OC is amazing on those boards

Colour theme looks amazing

The prices started to go downwards since the Maximus VII XXXX so its great..

Stability

and much more i dont know about, lol

Uh, it is always the same on LTT, no one bothers to read the question.

Apart from those, do you have proof of the statements you made (looks aside)?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Aah. I didn't know that. Good to know. Thank you for the information :)

Again, proof?

many of my friends used asrock mobos...some got bios crashes...some got fried mobo...and here also i have seen many threads regarding prob with asrock mobos and not prob like audio not working or like that but similar like dead mobo too soon, bios crashes...not able to flash bios and even some people got a new dead mobo when they just bought it...

So if both are owned by the same company, the quality control should be just the same i assume.

not necessary that same company controls the quality control...if asus outsource the manufacturing then it is the company who gives instructions about the quality control to which it outsources to...

The built quality of Asus, I personally think asus's built quality is superiour to most other brands in general (for motherboards) and all the "features" like keybot.

Build quality is not asus's strong point, a while back an article was here about asus having the highest failure rate(well its merely a difference of 1%), asus's customer service is also prone to being under attack. Gigabyte had for a while had the crown for  the most reliable products. the features on asus boards are pretty awesome however and im glad they no longer have those pathetic gold boards, they were shameful.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

many of my friends used asrock mobos...some got bios crashes...some got fried mobo...and here also i have seen many threads regarding prob with asrock mobos and not prob like audio not working or like that but similar like dead mobo too soon, bios crashes...not able to flash bios and even some people got a new dead mobo when they just bought it...

Which exact models? (eg Z77 pro4)

There is not a big difference between asrock and other brands when it comes to motherboards being DOA. I have read through many newegg comments are more asus mobos were DOA then asrock.

Build quality is not asus's strong point, a while back an article was here about asus having the highest failure rate(well its merely a difference of 1%), asus's customer service is also prone to being under attack. Gigabyte had for a while had the crown for  the most reliable products. the features on asus boards are pretty awesome however and im glad they no longer have those pathetic gold boards, they were shameful.

I agree :)

Sadly gigabyte boards lack some functionality i need, otherwise i'd get one for sure.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Perhaps, but once again, in the question that i asked, quote: "looks and included BS software (eg Xsplit) aside)".

I agree that the UEFI is nicer, but then again i am not a total noob.

How do you know it will be physically nicer to handle?

I dont care for the red and black thing really.. that's all preference. EDIT: fan control, fast phone charging and network control software do work better and look nicer than asrock's.

Get the nicer uefi then, you'll benefit from stuff like the "hint table"

I have asrock and asus boards. POS asrock board..the power connections are junk, a hair too small for easy removal of cables. the PCB it's self is thin and brittle. The solder mask is too thin and shows up brown. On top of that, it overheats and needs a fan screwed into the heatsinks

But if i was like.. buying it for someone else, yeah you're getting asrock and i'm getting profit.

Which exact models? (eg Z77 pro4)

There is not a big difference between asrock and other brands when it comes to motherboards being DOA. I have read through many newegg comments are more asus mobos were DOA then asrock.

I agree :)

Sadly gigabyte boards lack some functionality i need, otherwise i'd get one for sure.

no point in arguing here...everyone got own opinion....u prefer asrock..i prefer asus... :)