HP Z400 setup what should I know about it?

Hello, So I got some good deals on a HP Z400 6dimms motherboard, 12GB of ram and a Intel w3570 CPU need to got a few more things but I noticed that they said it uses a proprietary PSU. I tried to modify my existing PSU and realise it got frayed in my last build so a no go there. Besides I need a new PSU and a modded extension cable for it is there anything else I should know about this platform?

I recommend just buying a cable for the PSU HERE as I have heard this source is reliable.

Also keep in mind that this generation of CPUs likes RAM in triples. Don't go and install two or four sticks if you upgrade from 12GB - 3 or 6 is the way to go. Additionally, Install the SATA driver from the HP website. Z-series workstations, older ones in particular, can run into some stability issues with their Intel IRRT/RAID drivers on Windows 10 if you use more than a couple hard drives.

In addition to the PSU, the motherboard in Z-series HP systems is also proprietary, so you won't be able to mount it in a traditional ATX case.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 hours ago, da na said:

I recommend just buying a cable for the PSU HERE as I have heard this source is reliable.

Also keep in mind that this generation of CPUs likes RAM in triples. Don't go and install two or four sticks if you upgrade from 12GB - 3 or 6 is the way to go. Additionally, Install the SATA driver from the HP website. Z-series workstations, older ones in particular, can run into some stability issues with their Intel IRRT/RAID drivers on Windows 10 if you use more than a couple hard drives.

The kit I ordered was 3x4gb so I guess that's ok but after I ordered them I notice on a forum somewhere that this motherboard only accepts E-Type unbuffered ECC ram? And I'm not sure what type ram I got only that it's unbuffered ECC.

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In addition to the PSU, the motherboard in Z-series HP systems is also proprietary, so you won't be able to mount it in a traditional ATX case.

Funny story, the case a have is old but it allowed me to reset 3 of the standoffs to the right to fix the motherboard missing one or two at the top right but it's fits I guess 😅 so that's solved.

Just remember that platform is close to 15 years old, and temper your expectations accordingly.

Premade ATX adapters for those HP motherboards are out there.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/ATX-to-HP-Z400-24-Pin-Non-Standard-ATX-Pinout-Main-Power-Adapter-Cable.html

18 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think the single-socket LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 motherboards are standard ATX layout, but with proprietary power supply and front panel connectors. (And the cases have holes punched in them instead of standard IO shield holes, but you can get aftermarket IO shields shipped from overseas.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, Decoder Tech said:

But still im just worried about the ram that a got.

Why? Your Xeon supports registered ECC.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Why? Your Xeon supports registered ECC.

I found on this Website "System Technical Specifications" that it take UDIMM's? This how I learnt about UDIMM's and EDIMM's. So that's why I'm a little worried.

5 minutes ago, Decoder Tech said:

I found on this Website "System Technical Specifications" that it take UDIMM's? This how I learnt about UDIMM's and EDIMM's. So that's why I'm a little worried.

It should do both, but not at the same time. You can use one type or the other.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It should do both, but not at the same time. You can use one type or the other.

Well it's going to be awhile before I can test everything because I still need to get a PSU and cooler thats works with this type of motherboard. side note... Fun fact, I originally ordered a 4 dimm slot board but I got a 6 dimm slot instead so the Intel Xeon W3570 I found was for the 4 dimm one or else I would have try and get a higher cpu but. 🤷‍♂️

how much moeny you spending? triple channel is the best for that mb.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

how much moeny you spending? triple channel is the best for that mb.

Don't really have a budget but trying to stay in the minimum money i can spend as I get it lol. So cheap as possible.

26 minutes ago, Decoder Tech said:

Don't really have a budget but trying to stay in the minimum money i can spend as I get it lol. So cheap as possible.

well im asking because things can cost way more if you have to buy parts apostoo different full pc.

you need to buy the psu that works with the mb or that adapter to use atx psus and the oem psu can cost alot on there own... i have built 6 hp z400 and t3500 and i spent about $150 each(with 12gb ram w3670 cpu). but now you can get something better and faster for that amount of moeny...

if you want to add a gpu in with oem psu only has 1 6pin and limited space to fit it.

as for cooler i dont no some say 1366 cpu coolers fit some say it dose not fit. that is a thin pc so cpu cooler hight can be a problem. you can buy oem cooler and would be fine for that cpu.

is this going to be a gaming pc? or just a web pc?

Meltdown and Spectre virus you get by connecting to the net will eat away alot of the proformance you can disable it but they say it leave you  Vulnerable even thow this is a virus...🤔

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

well im asking because things can cost way more if you have to buy parts apostoo different full pc.

you need to buy the psu that works with the mb or that adapter to use atx psus and the oem psu can cost alot on there own... i have built 6 hp z400 and t3500 and i spent about $150 each(with 12gb ram w3670 cpu). but now you can get something better and faster for that amount of moeny...

if you want to add a gpu in with oem psu only has 1 6pin and limited space to fit it.

as for cooler i dont no some say 1366 cpu coolers fit some say it dose not fit. that is a thin pc so cpu cooler hight can be a problem. you can buy oem cooler and would be fine for that cpu.

is this going to be a gaming pc? or just a web pc?

Meltdown and Spectre virus you get by connecting to the net will eat away alot of the proformance you can disable it but they say it leave you  Vulnerable even thow this is a virus...🤔

Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a ASUS strikes rx 470 4g graphics card from my previous build I’m going to put in it and yes I’ll the adaptor and a standard psu that’s a little higher than the one previously came with the motherboard.

2 hours ago, Decoder Tech said:

Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a ASUS strikes rx 470 4g graphics card from my previous build I’m going to put in it and yes I’ll the adaptor and a standard psu that’s a little higher than the one previously came with the motherboard.

ok then i would just get the oem cooler even if you put a w3670 in it it should be fine

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the last update but I finally got the system put together enough to boot and try it out. I did ordered a modded adapter for the z400 motherboard but it's stuck somewhere in shipping from AliExpress so I did my own mod in the meantime but planning on getting a new more powerful PSU in the near future. Pics of the mod trick I used.

Link: HP Z400 24pin mod

Also some pics of the specs in task manager. 

b5bbdff020dbf18aeb8790b9e72418af1a0b0f7c.png

Screenshot_20231227-150104-504.png

Screenshot_20231227-150137-598.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update...

Finally got to pickup the cooler for the LGA1366 platform and I most say it's looking really nice, it's my first time owning a dual fan radiator. 😁 Straight from AliExpress

IMG_20240220_174846287.jpg

IMG_20240220_174837820.jpg

IMG_20240220_174829742.jpg

IMG_20240220_174802405.jpg

IMG_20240220_174734154.jpg

IMG_20240220_174740204.jpg

IMG_20240220_174753573.jpg

IMG_20240220_174448011.jpg