LTT and their influence on consumers

More than a month ago, the Fairphone 5 was released. After Linus his good impression on the Fairphone 4 and his personal investment in "Framework", surely you could expect a Fairphone 5 review from him. But nope, despite all his claims that he is a big fan of sustainability, long software support and repairability, he published videos about Apples new phone, Googles new phone, A laptop on Aliexpress, game consoles with illegal game collections on Aliexpress, a Temu gaming setup, etc... 

If he is honestly so "invested" in a better future for consumer hardware. Why does he keep creating videos about products form companies that are mostly fishy ( Chinese webshops and their sellers ) or products from companies that already dominate the hardware space ( Apple, Google ) and not actual products that were designed to change the way consumers handle their hardware?

He got the phone for free, he claims he likes products like that, but refuses to publish a video on it? The only possible explanation I have is that Framework is working on a smartphone. Or he's simply someone who just tells people what they want to hear.

8 minutes ago, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

The only possible explanation I have is that Framework is working on a smartphone. Or he's simply someone who just tells people what they want to hear.

If you're going to be the type that jumps to these wild accusations you really should be listening to the WAN show to get the unfiltered behind the scenes. 

Also its an entertainment channel.. its just not that serious. 

9 minutes ago, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

. Why does he keep creating videos about products form companies that are mostly fishy ( Chinese webshops and their sellers ) or products from companies that already dominate the hardware space

Because he runs a business and creates videos to make money. He focuses on videos that perform well to maximize profits.

On 10/18/2023 at 1:22 AM, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

He got the phone for free, he claims he likes products like that, but refuses to publish a video on it? The only possible explanation I have is that Framework is working on a smartphone. Or he's simply someone who just tells people what they want to hear.

Mr Fantastic would be proud of that stretch.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

The only possible explanation I have is that Framework is working on a smartphone. Or he's simply someone who just tells people what they want to hear.

Highly unlikely. 

Or they (LMG is a company with a bunch of writers, every video isn't Linus' personal idea) just don't have your laser focus on a specific niche. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I mean as far as sustainability goes framework and fair phone aren’t exactly great examples of how to reduce materials or impact. 

14 minutes ago, RabbidEwok said:

I mean as far as sustainability goes framework and fair phone aren’t exactly great examples of how to reduce materials or impact. 

You are spot on.

The best way to reduce impact is to NEVER buy new. Always reuse something that has already been manufactured and is sitting doing nothing.

2 minutes ago, art12354 said:

You are spot on.

The best way to reduce impact is to NEVER buy new. Always reuse something that has already been manufactured and is sitting doing nothing.

The best thing from a manufacturing perspective is to reduce part production. Having a business model that relies on producing parts to sit on shelves isn’t exactly eco friendly. After than you’re reusing which would be selling your device on or buying a used device rather than having it sat on a shelf or throwing it away and finally recycling a device that’s at the point where you can’t really resell it is better than throwing it away and allows manufacturers to use recycled materials instead of virgin metals etc. 

4 hours ago, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

Or the phone doesn’t work on NA towers so there’s only so much testing that can actually be done for a review. 
Im sure people would be thrilled to see a half assed review. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

37 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Or the phone doesn’t work on NA towers so there’s only so much testing that can actually be done for a review. 
Im sure people would be thrilled to see a half assed review. 

It does work on NA bands though. 

6 hours ago, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

If he is honestly so "invested" in a better future for consumer hardware. Why does he keep creating videos about products form companies that are mostly fishy ( Chinese webshops and their sellers ) or products from companies that already dominate the hardware space ( Apple, Google ) and not actual products that were designed to change the way consumers handle their hardware?

So lets start with this. It could be valid criticism. But your framing doesn't quite work. The reason why Youtubers, the more serious ones, do this type of content is to SHOW that quality of these cheap stores if bad. Or did you get something else from those videos? That you should buy from them because how good they are? Even on iPhone and other phones, the bad parts are said out aloud.

He got the phone for free, he claims he likes products like that, but refuses to publish a video on it?

There could be any number of reasons for this. Like the fact that company was just hit with massive drama over rushed video releases.

Now we get into interesting claims. LMG has reviewed other repairable devices besides Framework since Linus invested into company. What reason would Linus, as single investor, not even notable owner, to screw his own reputation by promoting a brand over others? Just after said drama over video quality??? The reasoning makes no sense here.

As for your title, I thought you were going to go with different route. But this is just very thinly covered "I'm mad I didn't get review of the thing I want to buy". You could have talked about so much more. But stayed on very superficial things, most of which aren't under LMGs control. Like consumerism. If you, and others, would actually listen what is said in videos, you wouldn't push so hard against LMG and them showing the crap quality of something thats popular.

Which isn't to say that they don't make mistakes. But most of your claims are smashed by simply listening what is said.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

28 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

So lets start with this. It could be valid criticism. But your framing doesn't quite work. The reason why Youtubers, the more serious ones, do this type of content is to SHOW that quality of these cheap stores if bad. Or did you get something else from those videos? That you should buy from them because how good they are? Even on iPhone and other phones, the bad parts are said out aloud.

There could be any number of reasons for this. Like the fact that company was just hit with massive drama over rushed video releases.

Now we get into interesting claims. LMG has reviewed other repairable devices besides Framework since Linus invested into company. What reason would Linus, as single investor, not even notable owner, to screw his own reputation by promoting a brand over others? Just after said drama over video quality??? The reasoning makes no sense here.

As for your title, I thought you were going to go with different route. But this is just very thinly covered "I'm mad I didn't get review of the thing I want to buy". You could have talked about so much more. But stayed on very superficial things, most of which aren't under LMGs control. Like consumerism. If you, and others, would actually listen what is said in videos, you wouldn't push so hard against LMG and them showing the crap quality of something thats popular.

Which isn't to say that they don't make mistakes. But most of your claims are smashed by simply listening what is said.

I mean he does it with Noctua, promote them over other product regardless of they’re actually suitable or not 

8 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Every video they don't make is a conspiracy!

Also Every video they DO make is a conspiracy.

LTT is a conspiracy. Created by big tech to sell you everything or push you from buying depending on how the wind blows that day.

(heavy sarcasm intended)

10 hours ago, JRMBelgiumTwitch said:

More than a month ago, the Fairphone 5 was released. After Linus his good impression on the Fairphone 4 and his personal investment in "Framework", surely you could expect a Fairphone 5 review from him. But nope, despite all his claims that he is a big fan of sustainability, long software support and repairability, he published videos about Apples new phone, Googles new phone, A laptop on Aliexpress, game consoles with illegal game collections on Aliexpress, a Temu gaming setup, etc... 

because its fun to watch ... duh its not that deep

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Also Every video they DO make is a conspiracy.

LTT is a conspiracy. Created by big tech to sell you everything or push you from buying depending on how the wind blows that day.

(heavy sarcasm intended)

We're through the looking glass here, people!

5d25cb404bf59.jpeg

13 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Because he runs a business and creates videos to make money. He focuses on videos that perform well to maximize profits.

The previous video had more than 3 million views. And keep in mind this got published before fairphone launched in the US. So there is definitely potential for a high profit video. It's not because the brand is popular, but the concept of having a repairable sustainable phone is interesting to many.

The Fairphone idea to me would be interesting if it was a flagship phone. Current price specs it's crap. They have longer software support, but with * being 5 os updates at least, so already kinda worse actually than Google as of late. 

Framework is shaping very well it looks. I'd wish to see a larger model with extra ports and sure more hardware choices.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'd wish to see a larger model with extra ports and sure more hardware choices.

Honestly, I would love to see a desktop replacement laptop from framework

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 2:00 PM, Doobeedoo said:

The Fairphone idea to me would be interesting if it was a flagship phone. Current price specs it's crap. They have longer software support, but with * being 5 os updates at least, so already kinda worse actually than Google as of late. 

Framework is shaping very well it looks. I'd wish to see a larger model with extra ports and sure more hardware choices.

If you would have to build a flagship phone built with recycled materials, with fair wages, that is repairable and with 5 OS upgrades and 7 years of updates, it would have to be a 2000 dollar phone. How would that be interesting? If only the 0,1% of consumers can actually afford that and are willing to take the risk to invest that much in to one device. 

And sure Google has beat them in terms of software support. But you are comparing a phone, which is more expensive, built by one of the biggest tech companies on the planet, that made it with cheaper labor, more wasteful recourses and not as repairable. And guess what is pushing Google to do this? Because companies like Fairphone and bigger competition like Apple are setting a new standard. 

Everyone is responding here like I'm some flath earther... The facts are that Linus is all about "reducing waste" in many WAN shows and it's one of his key selling points of LTT products and his investment in framework, but then won't even do a 5min video about a phone that he got for free that pushes the limit on sustainability. The previous fairphone video got lots of views so the "nobody will watch it" argument doesn't make any sense. 

If you would have to build a flagship phone built with recycled materials, with fair wages, that is repairable and with 5 OS upgrades and 7 years of updates, it would have to be a 2000 dollar phone. How would that be interesting? If only the 0,1% of consumers can actually afford that and are willing to take the risk to invest that much in to one device. 

And sure Google has beat them in terms of software support. But you are comparing a phone, which is more expensive, built by one of the biggest tech companies on the planet, that made it with cheaper labor, more wasteful recourses and not as repairable. And guess what is pushing Google to do this? Because companies like Fairphone and bigger competition like Apple are setting a new standard. 

Everyone is responding here like I'm some flath earther... The facts are that Linus is all about "reducing waste" in many WAN shows and it's one of his key selling points of LTT products and his investment in framework, but then won't even do a 5min video about a phone that he got for free that pushes the limit on sustainability. The previous fairphone video got lots of views so the "nobody will watch it" argument doesn't make any sense. 

I'm more saying that if they chose to build a phone with recycled materials all good but at least put a better chip though, it wouldn't add too much. It's just an odd combo with specs and such price. Also, I was more dragging a parallel with a better spec phone in similar price range is quite doable. And I didn't necessarily mean going full on recycled materials, but just good plastic build, easily repairable and that's it as far as that, but as a flagship spec and OS support.

But yes now Google is to offer a way longer software support which is awesome for Android. So they kinda beat the idea of long-lasting phone feeling fresh with software over the years, but a flagship.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |