Best cases for a tech reviewer?

RevGAM
1 hour ago, freeagent said:

So.. you are going to tell me that will cool better than this?

IMG_1078.thumb.jpeg.b2bf6faf9e3c5e5507402c2570033291.jpeg

Whatever you say boss.

Torrent's. What more do you need, its a damn wind tunnel. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

35 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Torrent's. What more do you need, its a damn wind tunnel. 

Hell yeah brother

Edit:

Screenshot2023-10-17215141.thumb.png.5b7decd4a1499e5d3932e559ad84e4cf.png

LinpackAIO.thumb.png.6991e7ccf308535549c8e71c7c042f9f.png

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

test bench is better if you have no case cooling and will alow the gpu to exust out witch is a big factor in case. not enuff air to move the heat from gpu out, gpu too close to the side, thow with a good air flow casei think different would be miner.(not tested thow)

there alot of good case with good air flow the torrent being one of them. but kinda need to no more about what you want to test.

i got the thermaltake cte c750 for testing 120mm fans vs 140mm fans and this case i can put 2 top, 3 front, back and bottom and side. ya its a fliped case but that wont matter and i can just flip it if need be. im not buying 14 fans each as that would cost alot so. things ill test is front vs side and how many fans is needed.

front intake for best cooler temps and bottom intake for best gpu temps imo would be the case.

aslo im sick af... 😞 maybe doing work on my build cursed me... 🤷‍♂️

there that mod free case that can be interesting but most likely will cost a bit.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

16 hours ago, freeagent said:

So.. you are going to tell me that will cool better than this?

Whatever you say boss.

Ok.. less smoking.. more.. tech..
we are talking cases... 

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

15 hours ago, freeagent said:

The fast moving air chills heatsinks big and small..

Yes, I agree. You can hang out laundry when it's cold but there's a good wind and they'll dry out. I use fans to chill myself.  😉

13 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

aslo im sick af... 😞 maybe doing work on my build cursed me... 🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry. I hope you'll be well soon!

12 hours ago, NorKris said:

Ok.. less smoking.. more.. tech..
we are talking cases... 

What is it that we all know?

Did you suggest a case?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

47 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

What is it that we all know?

Did you suggest a case?

we know that test benches / "open air cases"  gives the best cooling, and often ppl say that they dont wanna test coolers that way cuz its not realistic 

5 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Its part of the topic.

When 2 men are right, and none are wrong, this is what happens lol.

Test benches are not, and I asked about cases, not about cooling methods. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Just now, RevGAM said:

Test benches are not, and I asked about cases, not about cooling methods. 

I am not arguing in favor of benches. Who is arguing about cooling methods?

Anyways, I am out entirely, no more posting at this forum.

Peace and thermalgrease.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

other good cooling case can be

lian li lancool 2

lian li lancool 3

Lian Li LANCOOL 216

Fractal Design north with mesh side would be really good for gpu temps i would think

Fractal Design Meshify C dose have a bottem fan

torrent but only point of this case is the 2x 160 fan imo

Antec Performance 1 FT

Phanteks  Enthoo Pro 2

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

*** Thread cleaned ****

Again. If you don't want to be helpful, want to argue about semantics or "educate" about what you think is correct, do it somewhere else. You are not being helpful, you are not being productive and you for sure aren't being smart.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

27 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ****

Again. If you don't want to be helpful, want to argue about semantics or "educate" about what you think is correct, do it somewhere else. You are not being helpful, you are not being productive and you for sure aren't being smart.

Thank you!

the problem with a case is the gpu heat. the side being too close and gpu exhaust to the side and some gos up well some down and sucked back in the gpu. in a case with bottom fans this helps the problem.

cpu with front intake and cpu cooler normally not any problems. case with side in take make slight worse temps for cpu as air has to do a 90 in to the cooler.

using an aio in front can sent more hot air towards the gpu making it hotter with case that dont have bottem intake.

all imo and i have not test it but that seem to be the problem traped heat. something a test bench wont have. the fans will get as much cool air and remove the heat fast although things like ram and mb vrms can also benefit from air across it so a good air flow case could be as good as a test bench. but test bench you dont have to do anything, its cheap and give grate temps for doing nothing. yes a tech bench would be better with fans blow at it but no one dose it. ocer are really lazzy people and dont bother spending any moeny on anything... they spend it all on ram or cpus or gpus...

its kinda like using a pool for a reservoir with a water cooling loop your pc will never heat the water as the surface area is too large and dissipate the heat.

Edited by thrasher_565

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

using an aio in front can sent more hot air towards the gpu making it hotter with case that dont have bottem intake.

For this reason, i will no longer buy cases that don't have direct feed bottom intakes firing straight into the GPU. It has made such a dramatic difference to keeping a 3090 and now a 4090 cool and happy, I can't go back if sticking with air cooling. The O11 Mini kept my 3090FE chilly, as does this Torrent and 4090TUF. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

20 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

the problem with a case is the gpu heat. the side being too close and gpu exhaust to the side and some gos up well some down and sucked back in the gpu. in a case with bottom fans this helps the problem.

cpu with front intake and cpu cooler normally not any problems. case with side in take make slight worse temps for cpu as air has to do a 90 in to the cooler.

all imo and i have not test it but that seem to be the problem traped heat. something a test bench wont have. the fans will get as much cool air and remove the heat fast although things like ram and mb vrms can also benefit from air across it so a good air flow case could be as good as a test bench. but test bench you dont have to do anything, its cheap and give grate temps for doing nothing. yes a tech bench would be better with fans blow at it but no one dose it. ocer are really lazzy people and dont bother spending any moeny on anything... they spend it all on ram or cpus or gpus...

its kinda like using a pool for a reservoir with a water cooling loop your pc will never heat the water as the surface area is too large and dissipate the heat.

I understand, however thermals are an integral part of some of my testing, so - again - I have no interest in test benches. Without explaining everything, I need this to be in reference to my OP. You've given a good list of cases. It's very important that the case I eventually choose makes it easy to swap things out.

17 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

For this reason, i will no longer buy cases that don't have direct feed bottom intakes firing straight into the GPU. It has made such a dramatic difference to keeping a 3090 and now a 4090 cool and happy, I can't go back if sticking with air cooling. The O11 Mini kept my 3090FE chilly, as does this Torrent and 4090TUF. 

So which larger cases?

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I understand, however thermals are an integral part of some of my testing, so - again - I have no interest in test benches. Without explaining everything, I need this to be in reference to my OP. You've given a good list of cases. It's very important that the case I eventually choose makes it easy to swap things out.

So which larger cases?

ya i get it. a big case should have lots of room. the lancool has brackets that are removable for front fans anyway. that antech cases has the top removable thought Fractal Design also has that if i remember?

torrent has the psu at the top witch could be nice i guess. but i think the big torrent was not as good at the smaller one.

Edited by thrasher_565

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

So which larger cases?

Well, Torrent of course, its absurdly large. 2x180 and 3x140 fans stock out of the box, all intake. Big fans spinning slowly is dead silent and still move a lot of air. Best case I've ever used for air cooling, hands down.. and there have been a lot. 

Then you have your large "fishtank" cases, so your O11 EVO XL's and Phanteks NV7/9's. Again with direct bottom intakes. Aesthetically these cases work best for fancy looking water loops but air cooled GPU cooling still works quite well. Not so great for CPU air cooling, in fact I'd highly suggest something else if thats what you were after. Not great platforms for testing parts due to this. 

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Well, Torrent of course, its absurdly large. 2x180 and 3x140 fans stock out of the box, all intake. Big fans spinning slowly is dead silent and still move a lot of air. Best case I've ever used for air cooling, hands down.. and there have been a lot. 

Then you have your large "fishtank" cases, so your O11 EVO XL's and Phanteks NV7/9's. Again with direct bottom intakes. Aesthetically these cases work best for fancy looking water loops but air cooled GPU cooling still works quite well. Not so great for CPU air cooling, in fact I'd highly suggest something else if thats what you were after. Not great platforms for testing parts due to this. 

ya fish tank case are best with water cooling or an aio kinda the point of them.

011 was bad because they didn't even add a 120m fan to the back and the grill are kinda bad but its a for looks case...

Edited by thrasher_565

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya fish tank case are best with water cooling or an aio kinda the point of them.

011 was bad because they didn't even add a 120m fan to the back and the grill are kinda bad but its a for looks case...

The only O11 I own is the Mini (which actually did have a rear exhaust fan) though the top 3x120's did most of the exhuasting. Airflow is obviously fully bottom to top. 

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The only O11 I own is the Mini (which actually did have a rear exhaust fan) though the top 3x120's did most of the exhuasting. Airflow is obviously fully bottom to top. 

the the mini fix that problem but also they made one with sff psu but later on made an atx one...

i have the evo and i had problem with it so i have a bios with lian with some of there case. like my v3000 plus case an inch longer and i could have fit 560 rads... but nop.... 🤷‍♂️

other things are like you have to remove all the panels all the time... what ever happen to the hinged door...🤷‍♂️

Edited by thrasher_565

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah, I'm not into terrarium cases and I use air cooling. So, maybe the Torrent.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

the the mini fix that problem but also they made one with sff psu but later on made an atx one...

i have the evo and i had problem with it so i have a bios with lian with some of there case. like my v3000 plus case an inch longer and i could have fit 560 rads... but nop.... 🤷‍♂️

other things are like you have to remove all the panels all the time... what ever happen to the hinged door...🤷‍♂️

Sounds horrible for me.

I remember be quiet has a nice big case to build in

Fractal has the Torrent case

Lian Li 011 and hyte y40 but those are very non standard case,so for reviews dont think its too good

Phanteks has a good airflow case forget the name,its big spacious

I have a Liant LI LANCOOL 216 which is a nice spacious case,eazy to build into (its got rgb but u can get without rgb) ,it also has a nice interesting feature where it has 2 sets of standoffs u can select from 2 positions. 

1 position suited for air cooling 

1 position suited for AIO

Another advantage i see is ease of gpu vertical mounting,good space for vertical mount aswell (wont choke the GPU)

Its also got a wierd but might be usefull addition of a case external (intake?) fan for the GPU that will push(pull?) air for the GPU especialy when vertical mounted

image.png.fed096622031a02230d12cbdcadf0be5.png

4 hours ago, Lukjo said:

Lian Li 011 and hyte y40 but those are very non standard case,so for reviews dont think its too good

I have a Liant LI LANCOOL 216 which is a nice spacious case,eazy to build into (its got rgb but u can get without rgb) ,it also has a nice interesting feature where it has 2 sets of standoffs u can select from 2 positions. 

Another advantage i see is ease of gpu vertical mounting,good space for vertical mount aswell (wont choke the GPU)

Its also got a wierd but might be usefull addition of a case external (intake?) fan for the GPU that will push(pull?) air for the GPU especialy when vertical mounted

Great info, thanks!

7 hours ago, Lukjo said:

hmm didn't no a case came with a pci fan nice info. also looks like the top is removable. ya would be a good cases imo.

i no silver stone sell a pcie fan but wants $90 for it... it can bolt on to other case but still...

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

hmm didn't no a case came with a pci fan nice info. also looks like the top is removable. ya would be a good cases imo.

i no silver stone sell a pcie fan but wants $90 for it... it can bolt on to other case but still...

7 hours ago, Lukjo said:

So, for ease of swapping components, especially fans and coolers, which of the cases would probably be best?

I know it's hard to say about the ModFree. I left a message on HC's video asking their opinion but I don't know if they respond at all.