Needing a laptop for computer science next year.

I'm going into computer science next year and need a laptop, cant be a MacBook. I wont use it for gaming, just for uni work. The course work is primarily coding, so something with a high battery life would be appreciated.
these are the universities recommended specs as a guideline:

• SCREEN: 13-15.6" HD screen
  • RAM: 8GB minimum prefer 16GB.
  • STORAGE: 256GB Minimum.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Athlon X4 740 (or equivalent CPU/processor capable of virtulization).
  • VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 660 (2048 MB) or Radeon R9 285 (2048 MB)
  • SOUND CARD: DirectX compatible.

budget is a max of $3000 AUD, fine with a little extra if really needed

Basically anything then. What is your preferred screen size? 

Also do you require a laptop for lectures or is it for work at home. Doing a lot of work in your room is much better on a desktop. If you need a laptop though setting aside some money for a dock, KB+M and a display might be wise. 

Those are some ridiculously low minimum specs if you have 3k to spend 😄

I'd first look for battery life and RAM. At the very least 16GB, I'd probably go for 32GB.

Next up is a nice screen and keyboard. Definitely going to be a really nice thing to have seeing as you are likely going to be using this laptop for most of the day almost every day for the next 3-5 years.

My recommendation is to go for something fairly slim and 14" or below, I am extremely happy to not be lugging around a thick and heavy 15.6" during my days.

The graphics might be tricky, seems like they want you to have a dedicated GPU, any discrete GPU you can find in a laptop from the last five years or so will probably be good enough.

Buying used can get you a heck of a lot more value too. I got my surface laptop 2 for €300 when my pro 4 died, you have about 6x that budget so you should not have a hard time finding something suitable in your price range.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, RabbidEwok said:

Basically anything then. What is your preferred screen size? 

Also do you require a laptop for lectures or is it for work at home. Doing a lot of work in your room is much better on a desktop. If you need a laptop though setting aside some money for a dock, KB+M and a display might be wise. 

iv got a pc for home use, the laptop's mainly for lectures but ill also use it for work. 15" + would be ideal 

I bought an Acer Swift 3 for CS with a Ryzen 4700U I think? Great small laptop and Ryzen was a great enough powerhouse that sipped power compared to Intel at the time. The new Swifts are very presentable with a handy 16:10 aspect ratio. I'd still get a Ryzen, not get a laptop at all if it isn't. 

Here's a link to a Ryzen and then the admitedly more moden 16:10 OLED.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, HowlingStein said:

iv got a pc for home use, the laptop's mainly for lectures but ill also use it for work. 15" + would be ideal 

Maybe an XPS 13 they’re about A$2000-3000z

maybe a gram is an option too Dunno Aussie retailers sorry