Wall-mounted height-adjustable desk?

Stonelesscutter

Hi! As per usual, I find myself wanting something which seems to not be a standard thing. I've had my eye on height-adjustable desks for a while. But, I want one without legs. The room it would be placed in is about 2.5 meters wide anyway. I figure I don't need legs and just make a large desk surface and mount it to the walls on the sides. That's easy enough, but I would like to be able to adjust the height of it. Not even necessarily by a huge margin, like switching from regular desk height to standing desk height, but at the least I want to be able to finetune the height to what is comfortable for me, which may take some trial and error to figure out. I've searched online, but I guess I haven't figured out the appropriate search terms, because I'm not getting anything similar to what I have in mind, just basically desks with legs. I would appreciate any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Stonelesscutter said:

Hi! As per usual, I find myself wanting something which seems to not be a standard thing. I've had my eye on height-adjustable desks for a while. But, I want one without legs. The room it would be placed in is about 2.5 meters wide anyway. I figure I don't need legs and just make a large desk surface and mount it to the walls on the sides. That's easy enough, but I would like to be able to adjust the height of it. Not even necessarily by a huge margin, like switching from regular desk height to standing desk height, but at the least I want to be able to finetune the height to what is comfortable for me, which may take some trial and error to figure out. I've searched online, but I guess I haven't figured out the appropriate search terms, because I'm not getting anything similar to what I have in mind, just basically desks with legs. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'd imagine the engineering would be much more complex on this for a niche product, as all the weight would be going on the wall brackets rather than evenly distributed across legs.  So its understandable that nobody is making them, it would likely have to be a custom design and insanely expensive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

i guess if you added plywood to the wall and cut the leg off and welded on a wall mount plate i guess the could work...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Two separate and different height desks can be mounted to a wall with simple triangular brackets for very cheap.

A monitor arm that can move between the two heights can be setup.

You can easily move a mouse and keyboard between the two "desks" quickly.

7 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Two separate and different height desks can be mounted to a wall with simple triangular brackets for very cheap.

A monitor arm that can move between the two heights can be setup.

You can easily move a mouse and keyboard between the two "desks" quickly.

But, one would be in the way of the other. ?

Just now, Stonelesscutter said:

But, one would be in the way of the other. ?

no, one desk on the wall with another to the left or right.  so you can use both desks.
         [ screen ]
_______   |
              |   ___________

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

no, one desk on the wall with another to the left or right.  so you can use both desks.
         [ screen ]
_______   |
              |   ___________

I see. I suppose that could be a solution for some, but it's not what I'm looking for. Thanks in any case for the suggestion.

You won't find anything off the shelf. But I don't see issue on why not. It's just about how forklifts or stair elevators work.

Sp like this https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/garage-shelf/ or similar. Things to consider though are how much desks pace you need, and how much weight it will be.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/8/2023 at 7:09 AM, LogicalDrm said:

You won't find anything off the shelf. But I don't see issue on why not. It's just about how forklifts or stair elevators work.

Sp like this https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/garage-shelf/ or similar. Things to consider though are how much desks pace you need, and how much weight it will be.

That or similar might be the best DIY solution. I just want to add that a desk 30" deep (and user leaning on it) will create much more leverage than the self shown. You'll need some well engineered anchoring to the wall and a good wall to begin with. You also want to review specs or contact manufacturer of that lift system what limits are.

Furniture system manufacturers design assuming some hundred pounds pushing down. This just being in your home may require less. But you want to design for some worst case (your drunk 400 pound cousin coming over and supporting himself etc). Don't want to have the whole setup fall on your feet 

It is a great idea. But you now see why all pre-made solutions have legs.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

On 10/7/2023 at 12:11 AM, Stonelesscutter said:

Not even necessarily by a huge margin, like switching from regular desk height to standing desk height, but at the least I want to be able to finetune the height to what is comfortable for me, which may take some trial and error to figure out.

Get some mounting rails, fix them to the wall and mount the tabletop to the rail instead of the wall. Adjusting it would mean using a wrench / screwdriver, but you can experiment with it all you want and the rail will make sure you distribute the load into the wall.

If it needs to be electrically driven, it will be much more complicated and expensive, but nothing too special. You need one or two lifting columns and two linear bearings with rails to counter the torque. You can get lifting columns with the very same control system like motorized desks off the shelf. Linear bearings and rails are standardized industrial parts.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Thanks, that looks neat. In my case though, it won't be mounting to the wall at the back of the desk, but at the walls to the left and right sides of the desk.

well, it could be done except there would be 2 metal rods and it would be very expensive and (somewhat) ugly

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

3 hours ago, Stonelesscutter said:

Thanks, that looks neat. In my case though, it won't be mounting to the wall at the back of the desk, but at the walls to the left and right sides of the desk.

Then you need 2 lifting mechanisms. They need to be synced and also detect the other mechanism's failure. Probably some other issues a single-mechanism wouldn't have. 

You also need a horizontal steel beam or similar brace to prevent bending of the desk surface. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

could suspend it from the roof but would need a rail to make it not move around.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, Stonelesscutter said:

With 2.5m cap you are needing the center support unless you're going to use some really thick and sturdy table material (like +5cm solid) or steel reinforcements. 2m starts to be the point where you really need to start thinking about the weight and how much the table can hold.

11 hours ago, Stonelesscutter said:

Concept is still same. I would probably go with passive supporting rails at the other side while motor/lift mechanism is just on other side. Like have support/stop as you will need cross-beam since its long distance from mounting point to the other side.

(Not mechanical engineer, just basics of physics)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I was kinda hoping someone would come along and say "ah, you need a set of these", but it looks like my best bet would be to either mount standing desk legs to the walls or just go for the standing desk option, which to be fair would seem to be the more sensible option of the two. Thanks to all for your input.

8 hours ago, Stonelesscutter said:

I was kinda hoping someone would come along and say "ah, you need a set of these", but it looks like my best bet would be to either mount standing desk legs to the walls or just go for the standing desk option, which to be fair would seem to be the more sensible option of the two. Thanks to all for your input.

To be fair, most domestic walls aren't build with the idea of holding upwards of 50+lbs on a few points of contact

13 hours ago, Stonelesscutter said:

There's also middle option to just buy legs and motor separate from tabletop. This would allow more flexibility if set sizes aren't suitable for your space. For example Ikea sells their legs separate.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, Stonelesscutter said:

I've searched online, but I guess I haven't figured out the appropriate search terms, because I'm not getting anything similar to what I have in mind, just basically desks with legs. I would appreciate any suggestions.

This just popped up in my email inbox...

image.png.5360410080d3289b583476d3e2387797.png

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

This just popped up in my email inbox...

image.png.5360410080d3289b583476d3e2387797.png

Wow, that's some interesting timing!

Looking at this thing though, it doesn't offer any benefits to having a standing desk for my usecase. And the price, ouch!