My problem with Nvidia

Adam1984
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
On 10/6/2023 at 1:22 PM, Adam1984 said:

Given the ridiculous prices of gpus over the last few years, and most of that goes on nvidia.. you would think they would cut gamers some slack.

Yeah, because it truly is gamers who need to get some slack right now. We poor gamers don't have it easy, because the price of graphics cards has increased so much. If anyone deserves some slack, it's us.

However, the real problem for me is things like frame generation. They could easily have made that compatible with 20 and 30 series gpus... but they didnt. Why? Because they want to sell the 40 series gpu's, which have dissapointed, so the real performance upgrade comes from frame generation.

I thought the 40 series seemed to have a pretty decent performance uplift. It's certainly not all from the frame-generating stuff.

Also, do you have any source that Nvidia could "easily have made that compatible with 20 and 30 series gpus"? A while ago I read some interviews and Q&As with Bryan Catanzaro, the VP of applied deep learning research at Nvidia and he shed some light on the situation.

He said that as DLSS3 is built today, it could run on older generations of graphics cards but it wouldn't work well, thus defeating the whole purpose. DLSS3 relies on the Optical Flow Accelerators (OFA) on the graphics card to work, and those got a massive uplift in the 40 series. DLSS3 running on the 40 series cards already struggles a bit and will introduce some latency (hence why Nvidia also bundles it with Nvidia Reflex).

So while Nvidia could port it to older generations like the 20 and 30 series, it would not result in higher FPS but rather worse FPS, more uneven frame rates, and higher latency, because the OFA couldn't keep up.

I will choose to believe this explanation because they did backport other features to earlier generations like RTX voice and ray reconstruction.

AMD FSR 3 frame Generation will be not only compatible with Nvidia GPUs too, but 20 and 30 series cards.

So AMD are about to do more for my nvidia GPU than Nvidia have ever done, for FREE. 

Yes, it's true that FSR 3 is compatible with Nvidia GPUs... But you have looked into FSR 3?

It's easy to look at some binary checklist like where it just says "generates frames" and "works on Nvidia GPUs". You have to also look at how well something works, and for that I think Hardware Unboxed made a good video. Here is a quote from the video:

So overall I ahven't been very impressed with what I've seen from AMD's FSR 3 technology so far in its two launch titles. To me this feature seems rushed, incomplete and not fully ready for prime time. There are too many incompatibilities and configuration issues which stands out badly compared to Nvidia's DLSS 3 technology, itself a feature with issues.

The resulting FSR 3 frame generation experience is difficult to recommend outside a few niche use cases. 

-snip-

When we have DLSS 3 generation that, to use an Nvidia:ism "it just works" with features like VRR, going backwards on compatibility with FSR 3 really stands out.

The video also brings up limitations AMD has on older graphics cards, like Anti-Lag+ which only works on the RX 7000 series (not 6000 or older).

It is possible that some of these issues (or all of them?) might be fixed in the future, but I think it is misleading to paint this picture of FSR 3 being equal to DLSS3 and therefore AMD are doing a better job than Nvidia with frame generation. 

It seems to me like Nvidia is careful and wants to deliver a really good and smooth experience. If they don't think something will work well then they don't even give users the choice to try it.

AMD on the other hand seems to do the exact opposite and just lets everyone try it out. The end result is that people get really inconsistent experiences.

I think there are merits to both approaches, but I wouldn't really say either one is better or worse than the other.

Apologies in advance if this has already been said...

Given the ridiculous prices of gpus over the last few years, and most of that goes on nvidia.. you would think they would cut gamers some slack.

But they dont, and I understand they have to make money, its 100% a business, I get it.

However, the real problem for me is things like frame generation. They could easily have made that compatible with 20 and 30 series gpus... but they didnt. Why? Because they want to sell the 40 series gpu's, which have dissapointed, so the real performance upgrade comes from frame generation.

But everyone can probably see this, so the reason I posted this is....

AMD FSR 3 frame Generation will be not only compatible with Nvidia GPUs too, but 20 and 30 series cards.

So AMD are about to do more for my nvidia GPU than Nvidia have ever done, for FREE. 

Ok so in reality it wont be perfect, currently no support for VRR whilst using frame generation, but that will happen guaranteed.

Overall, Nvidia needs to stop being so corporate, and apple like and start to value their customers more.

They won't. They've no need to and the people only they respond to don't want NVIDIA to. 

NVIDIA's 900 series and onwards marketing was SS+ tier and is still paying dividends for people's preference. Marketing so often repeated that people now think it's fact.

But just like politics, we deserve what we sow. If we vote for stupid people in power then don't be surprised we're worse off. Same goes here. Vote with your wallets people and its seems like the people are still happy with these GPU prices as well as actions by NVIDIA.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

10 minutes ago, Adam1984 said:

Overall, Nvidia needs to stop being so corporate, and apple like and start to value their customers more.

however, they have no reason to do so,

for them their ways are comparable basically to an overflowing sink of cash, why should they stop the sink from overflowing with money?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Nvidias main business is in the Datacenter so they dont really care about gamers who buy a 300-1000$ GPU when they can sell one H100 for 34.000$

Its sad but thats the world we live in 😞

8 minutes ago, podkall said:

however, they have no reason to do so,

for them their ways are comparable basically to an overflowing sink of cash, why should they stop the sink from overflowing with money?

Absolutely, and I completely get that, but thats exactly my point, its an abuse of that financial comfort and power. Whereas AMD also have a lot of money and industry clout, but they allow their technology to be used by nvidia users, freesync too which is a huge one. Ive never had an AMD gpu but they might end up getting my money next time

23 minutes ago, Adam1984 said:

But they dont, and I understand they have to make money, its 100% a business, I get it.

Ok so in reality it wont be perfect, currently no support for VRR whilst using frame generation, but that will happen guaranteed.

They won't, and maybe they'll become even worse, as gaming is becoming a side business for them, and way less profitable than AI stuff

They'll still do hi end cards to show their technological advance to the masses, then some lower tier crap for people that gobbled their marketing and want the brand, but they won't give a sh#t about their gaming customers anyway

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

21 hours ago, Adam1984 said:

"Overall, Nvidia needs to stop being so corporate, and apple like and start to value their customers more."

Yet which two companies make as shitload of money for their investors?

I'll give you two guesses.  Take your time.

Also:

"But they dont, and I understand they have to make money, its 100% a business, I get it."

Do you get it or do you not get it?  Because you answer your question even before answering it, but still ask it and rant about it.

So I take it that you don't truly understand business, investors, returns, economics or anything related. 

Sure you WANT them to be nicer and give money away.  Me too.  Not going to happen tho.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

36 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

"Overall, Nvidia needs to stop being so corporate, and apple like and start to value their customers more."

Yet which two companies make as shitload of money for their investors?

I'll give you two guesses.  Take your time.

Also:

"But they dont, and I understand they have to make money, its 100% a business, I get it."

Do you get it or do you not get it?  Because you answer your question even before answering it, but still ask it and rant about it.

So I take it that you don't truly understand business, investors, returns, economics or anything related.  What year of school are you in, maybe they cover it later?

Sure you WANT them to be nicer and give money away.  Me too.  Not going to happen tho.

Wow how rude, this is just an internet forum, calm down a little. So what if I answered my own question?? Who cares. I dont know what you are so angry about but its not me

1 hour ago, Adam1984 said:

There is a hardware difference between 40 and earlier RTX GPUs. On 40 they beefed up the optical flow processing which is part of what they use to implement frame generation. The optical flow processing on older series is lower performance. It may be ok for non-realtime processing, but it isn't gaming grade.

1 hour ago, Adam1984 said:

I'm waiting for reputable sites like Digital Foundry to do a detailed test on how FSR 3 really performs vs DLSS3. If it is anything like FSR 2 vs DLSS 2, then it may work "ok" but objectively not as good as nvidia's solution.

FSR 3 still comes with its hardware limitations and requirements. AMD recommend RDNA2 and newer, although it functions on RDNA1. Likewise on NV side, AMD recommend 30 series, although it functions on 20 series. To be worth using it has to work well.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

I'm waiting for reputable sites like Digital Foundry to do a detailed test on how FSR 3 really performs vs DLSS3. If it is anything like FSR 2 vs DLSS 2, then it may work "ok" but objectively not as good as nvidia's solution.

FSR 3 still comes with its hardware limitations and requirements. AMD recommend RDNA2 and newer, although it functions on RDNA1. Likewise on NV side, AMD recommend 30 series, although it functions on 20 series. To be worth using it has to work well.

Well, for now there's HwU ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, Angusticlavii said:

Nvidias main business is in the Datacenter so they dont really care about gamers who buy a 300-1000$ GPU when they can sell one H100 for 34.000$

Its sad but thats the world we live in 😞

Yah how sad that they know their customers and can sell things companies with money need

How DARE they grow the business!!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, for now there's HwU ?

I'd tolerate them to do basic benchmarking but they don't have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to anything beyond that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Checking it out now.

19 hours ago, Adam1984 said:

yeah, but amd has a ridiculously small market share, they need to do "something" trying to stay relevant. nvidia doesn't.  they could stop selling gamer gpus altogether and would probably be fine - and amd couldn't even fulfill the demand, even if they wanted (no production capacity lol)

On the contrary,  you should blame amd for even making consumer gpus, if that wasn't the case nvidia would instantly have to deal with anti monopoly laws around the world and probably be forced to sell at more reasonable prices...

imo amd only makes gpus to help keep nvidia afloat, conspiracy theory?  Maybe, but did you know the ceos of amd and nvidia are closely related? "coincidence"???

i dont believe in coincidents personally,  but you're free to do so of course... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

You don't have a problem with Nvidia, you have a problem with a shareholder based market

also i hate upscaling, and buzzwords, leave me alone with this low quality gimmick! xD

Spoiler

actually im using fsr 25% in ow, but only because its the default and i don't *really* see a difference to no fsr and it helps my pc stay more silent...  but IF i had the choice i would run without it and HDR on, HDR looks absolutely stunning in OW, but sadly i can't, because windows refuses to switch to none HDR when on desktop automatically... too bothersome... BUT it does look really awesome ingame! 

16 hours ago, porina said:

I'd tolerate them to do basic benchmarking but they don't have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to anything beyond that.

is hwu (uwu?) hardware unboxed?  The most biased "reviewer" ever?  people really still watch that? i guess everything to justify their baseless "brand loyalty" huh...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, but amd has a ridiculously small market share, they need to do "something" trying to stay relevant. nvidia doesn't.  they could stop selling gamer gpus altogether and would probably be fine - and amd couldn't even fulfill the demand, even if they wanted (no production capacity lol)

On the contrary,  you should blame amd for even making consumer gpus, if that wasn't the case nvidia would instantly have to deal with anti monopoly laws around the world and probably be forced to sell at more reasonable prices...

imo amd only makes gpus to help keep nvidia afloat, conspiracy theory?  Maybe, but did you know the ceos of amd and nvidia are closely related? "coincidence"???

i dont believe in coincidents personally,  but you're free to do so of course... 

Interesting, I did not know that. For me it boils down to something very simple, human decency. Clearly nvidia do not care as they are making crazy money, and as people have said, the gpu market isnt their primary interest now. So I think a very simple but good point to make is, so give people more then, just out of decency, nothing else, just as decent human beings. We pay way too much for gpus now, so just give is more performance simply with a firmware update allowing frame generation on all rtx gpus. Its so easy, so uncomplicated. The thing is, as everyone keeps saying, they dont have to.... and they wont.... it really isnt about that, or about being brutally honest about how coprorations work... its just basic, in a better world they would, therefore its better. Im against the capitalism today, this issue isnt even one that bothers me, my gpu performance is fine. Its just a logical thought, and an idea for how the world could be better for all, not just the big tech companies. Sadly it isnt reality, I am in no way ignorant to this fact, but when something is possible, never stop hoping or challenging

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

When there is basically only two gpu manufacturers throughout the world, and one closes up shop (not due to buyout or corporate take over) ... how does any anti monopoly laws apply? 

Yes, Nvidia would be the only manufacturer of gpu's, but i doubt seriously it would run a foul of any anti monopoly laws because AMD defaulted on their own. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

On 10/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, Adam1984 said:

Interesting, I did not know that. For me it boils down to something very simple, human decency. Clearly nvidia do not care as they are making crazy money, and as people have said, the gpu market isnt their primary interest now. So I think a very simple but good point to make is, so give people more then, just out of decency, nothing else, just as decent human beings. We pay way too much for gpus now, so just give is more performance simply with a firmware update allowing frame generation on all rtx gpus. Its so easy, so uncomplicated. The thing is, as everyone keeps saying, they dont have to.... and they wont.... it really isnt about that, or about being brutally honest about how coprorations work... its just basic, in a better world they would, therefore its better. Im against the capitalism today, this issue isnt even one that bothers me, my gpu performance is fine. Its just a logical thought, and an idea for how the world could be better for all, not just the big tech companies. Sadly it isnt reality, I am in no way ignorant to this fact, but when something is possible, never stop hoping or challenging

yeah, that is true, i guess.

its just that these companies coexist just fine, even benefit ftom each other (don't forget intel either) 

as long no one investigates in the obvious market manipulations they'll keep making business as usual, there's no decency here. 

On 10/8/2023 at 2:20 AM, Rocketdog2112 said:

Yes, Nvidia would be the only manufacturer of gpu's, but i doubt seriously it would run a foul of any anti monopoly laws because AMD defaulted on their own. 

don't forget intel, just because they make mostly igpus doesn't mean they aren't in the market.

so while that technically isnt a monopoly,  there are obviously laws against market manipulation and both surviving companies would face more scrutiny most likely...

on the other hand nobody seems to really care, because this is ongoing since 2 decades now.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Why would they change when they have a near-monopoly on the GPU market and are essentially printing money?

Your remark about frame generation compatibility is also worth noting. Companies often make judgements about software and hardware compatibility based on different criteria, including marketing objectives. The competitive landscape in the tech business can influence these choices.

Yeah, because it truly is gamers who need to get some slack right now. We poor gamers don't have it easy, because the price of graphics cards has increased so much. If anyone deserves some slack, it's us.

I thought the 40 series seemed to have a pretty decent performance uplift. It's certainly not all from the frame-generating stuff.

Also, do you have any source that Nvidia could "easily have made that compatible with 20 and 30 series gpus"? A while ago I read some interviews and Q&As with Bryan Catanzaro, the VP of applied deep learning research at Nvidia and he shed some light on the situation.

He said that as DLSS3 is built today, it could run on older generations of graphics cards but it wouldn't work well, thus defeating the whole purpose. DLSS3 relies on the Optical Flow Accelerators (OFA) on the graphics card to work, and those got a massive uplift in the 40 series. DLSS3 running on the 40 series cards already struggles a bit and will introduce some latency (hence why Nvidia also bundles it with Nvidia Reflex).

So while Nvidia could port it to older generations like the 20 and 30 series, it would not result in higher FPS but rather worse FPS, more uneven frame rates, and higher latency, because the OFA couldn't keep up.

I will choose to believe this explanation because they did backport other features to earlier generations like RTX voice and ray reconstruction.

Yes, it's true that FSR 3 is compatible with Nvidia GPUs... But you have looked into FSR 3?

It's easy to look at some binary checklist like where it just says "generates frames" and "works on Nvidia GPUs". You have to also look at how well something works, and for that I think Hardware Unboxed made a good video. Here is a quote from the video:

So overall I ahven't been very impressed with what I've seen from AMD's FSR 3 technology so far in its two launch titles. To me this feature seems rushed, incomplete and not fully ready for prime time. There are too many incompatibilities and configuration issues which stands out badly compared to Nvidia's DLSS 3 technology, itself a feature with issues.

The resulting FSR 3 frame generation experience is difficult to recommend outside a few niche use cases. 

-snip-

When we have DLSS 3 generation that, to use an Nvidia:ism "it just works" with features like VRR, going backwards on compatibility with FSR 3 really stands out.

The video also brings up limitations AMD has on older graphics cards, like Anti-Lag+ which only works on the RX 7000 series (not 6000 or older).

It is possible that some of these issues (or all of them?) might be fixed in the future, but I think it is misleading to paint this picture of FSR 3 being equal to DLSS3 and therefore AMD are doing a better job than Nvidia with frame generation. 

It seems to me like Nvidia is careful and wants to deliver a really good and smooth experience. If they don't think something will work well then they don't even give users the choice to try it.

AMD on the other hand seems to do the exact opposite and just lets everyone try it out. The end result is that people get really inconsistent experiences.

I think there are merits to both approaches, but I wouldn't really say either one is better or worse than the other.