Steam deck screen dead after 1 week

QcKraag
Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,
41 minutes ago, QcKraag said:

the display settings doesn’t show the decks screen only the asus 144htz monitor

Sounds like a loose or dirty connector. If Steam screws you over 'till the end, tear down the Deck and rebuild it. That should take care of bad connections.

Woke up this morning and when I tried to turn my deck screen on, the screen would not light up or turn on. Weird because the deck is only 1 week old. Started searching the forums and so by holding power for 10 seconds or by holding vol+ and power get it to booth on bios but this did not work. Screen doesn’t power on, so I tried hooking it up to a dock a yes, I can see the desktop on my monitor no problem but still no power to the deck screen. Went on to contact steam support and explained the problem and after a few tests they told me that warranty doesn’t cover this and I would have to pay. I am totally baffled right now, haven’t even played 5 hours on it and get told that I al the cause and broke it. Like WTF, I am waiting for a supervisor to get back to me and have asked for a reimbursement. I can’t believe the hassle this is causing me right now, brand new, wasn’t damaged and screen not working and I get treated like I am the cause of the problem. If I can get this reimbursed, I will definitely not recommend anyone purchase from Valve. I am also looking at the Quebec consumer protection agency for legal help. How can you even argue with a company you can’t even call? I was setting the deck up for my son’s birthday in 2 weeks and wow baffled

12 minutes ago, QcKraag said:

Woke up this morning and when I tried to turn my deck screen on, the screen would not light up or turn on. Weird because the deck is only 1 week old. Started searching the forums and so by holding power for 10 seconds or by holding vol+ and power get it to booth on bios but this did not work. Screen doesn’t power on, so I tried hooking it up to a dock a yes, I can see the desktop on my monitor no problem but still no power to the deck screen. Went on to contact steam support and explained the problem and after a few tests they told me that warranty doesn’t cover this and I would have to pay. I am totally baffled right now, haven’t even played 5 hours on it and get told that I al the cause and broke it. Like WTF, I am waiting for a supervisor to get back to me and have asked for a reimbursement. I can’t believe the hassle this is causing me right now, brand new, wasn’t damaged and screen not working and I get treated like I am the cause of the problem. If I can get this reimbursed, I will definitely not recommend anyone purchase from Valve. I am also looking at the Quebec consumer protection agency for legal help. How can you even argue with a company you can’t even call? I was setting the deck up for my son’s birthday in 2 weeks and wow baffled

can you return it? also your son is extremely lucky to be getting it. its a very good console. i have it and sometimes i have that issue but it goes away

edit: try plugging into a tv, maybe it might work and you can reinstall the os

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

I had a 2tb sabrent in it, first thing I did when I couldn’t get it to work was reinstall its 64gb counterpart and that one doesn’t work either, also on desktop side, the display settings doesn’t show the decks screen only the asus 144htz monitor so no can do. It’s the way steam is treating me that is most disconcerting 

41 minutes ago, QcKraag said:

the display settings doesn’t show the decks screen only the asus 144htz monitor

Sounds like a loose or dirty connector. If Steam screws you over 'till the end, tear down the Deck and rebuild it. That should take care of bad connections.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Gonna try that, thanks, otherwise I will be totally pissed and order the parts from ifixit

The connectors were well connected, so it’s not the issue, console being 1-2 weeks old shouldn’t have dirty connectors either…

guess I’ll order a new screen

For those wondering about the experience of Valve's only way to contact them... web page based chat. Writting to someone who is half the continent over and responds like hours later is very frustrating and then to be bluntly told: Based on the information you've provided, we've determined that this damage is not covered by your warranty. This means your unit is not eligible for warranty repair or replacement.

All I did was try to turn the deck on in the morning after putting it on charge all evening. A bad screen to them means I damaged it??? Then being offered a 145$US fee to diagnose the unit or being told to go to ifixit to buy the part... for a steam deck that I played maybe 2-3 hours and used for a total of about 5...

The screen on my deck died about a month in and was the same situation. It worked all day, charged over night and just black the next morning. I messaged back and forth with support over about 5 days and in my first message gave them all the steps I had done to troubleshoot. They of course had me do all those again and eventually conceded that it was faulty. I shipped mine back and had a new one about a week after and have had no issues. This is some time ago, maybe almost a year now, a little less. I can't believe they won't cover it under warranty.

Now they have stated that because I installed a Sabrent hard drive, that the unit cannot be fixed under warranty for screen that has stopped working, that it is my fault

Yes it's official, I will never buy another Steam product. They have officially blamed me for breaking the screen, by changing a hard drive...