Faulty cable or faulty monitor?

treeroy

My second monitor is very glitchy. It cuts off and on very frequently. As if it has a loose connection.

I am unsure if this is being caused by the cable or the monitor. It's a HDMI-to-VGA cable. The VGA is the only port on the monitor, and I have no other VGA devices to test the cable on. The cable is fairly new, maybe 1 year old, and the monitor is 10 years old. I have inspected the cable and I dont see anything loose or damaged.

Any advice welcome as to how to fix this. Thank you.

Video is of the cutting in and out. The photo is from a few days ago when the monitor just turned to static and would not work when I pulled the cable out and back in. I restarted the PC and it was working again.

mdtUkop.jpg

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

Usually is the cable. Snowy picture would be a handshake failure with HDCP (which VGA does not support anyways). Drop-outs and loss of sync can cause snowy picture as well. They all tie back to a bad connection or cable usually.

I think it could be either or. Or even bad port on the GPU. I would try another cable first tho. And plugging it in to another port on the GPU if you have other ones.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking