WARNING: When purchasing from Best Buy remove trials from cart! - CHARGED $33 for cancelled order!!!!

AbbaHalevi

Maybe this was common knowledge, but it's news to me.

I ordered the USB-C Airpod Pros from Best Buy.

They 'conveniently' add free trials for Apple News+, TV+ and Music for 3-4 months.

About 30 minutes later I realized the delivery ETA wouldnt work for me and went to cancel the order.

The self-help option said I would be charged $32.97.  Thinking this was a bug because WTF I proceed to chat...

image.png.53f841e7c82452f04d73664af3c9dcba.png

i.e. Its free with purchase of main item, but since thats cancelled we'll charge you. 

Obviously this is meant to be something like we sold you a bundled item and since you only returned part of it we'll partially refund it.

Makes no sense here.

Bottom line: I highly recommend removing any extra crap in your cart when checking out from Best Buy.

End Result: Chat wasn't helpful, told me to call 888-237-8289 and speak to digital department.

15 minute phone call to get it supposedly refunded.  I'll update back here when I see it on statement, receipt doesn't show it yet.

Assuming it worked, thats still an hour to cancel a simple order 🙄

I don't think you should be charged, since it looks like it was a free trial, however I always look at what's in the cart before I check out.
Should be common practice when making any online purchase.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't think you should be charged, since it looks like it was a free trial, however I always look at what's in the card before I check out.
Should be common practice when making any online purchase.

Just to clarify, in cart its $0 so who cares (I thought). I've had 'trials' from them before they just send a link to your email.

The system is programmed that its a bundle, so now that we're cancelling main item and I can't return the whole 'bundle' it triggers only a partial refund.

IMO, if this isnt illegal, it should be.

you have no leg to stand on, because no one is going to sue over 33 bucks.. but this is a good reason to never use worst buy again.

hunt this one out to the bottom, threaten with lawyers if you must, i'm sure this is just something predatory that some level of support will just be able to cancel so they can harvest those who wont chase it for money, but wont actually have to worry for a class action by those who will actually go that far.

29 minutes ago, AbbaHalevi said:

Just to clarify, in cart its $0 so who cares (I thought). I've had 'trials' from them before they just send a link to your email.

The system is programmed that its a bundle, so now that we're cancelling main item and I can't return the whole 'bundle' it triggers only a partial refund.

So if that's the case I'm sure they'll refund you, and it's more of an issue with their return system than it is something that's malicious.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

IMO, if this isnt illegal, it should be.

you have no leg to stand on, because no one is going to sue over 33 bucks.. but this is a good reason to never use worst buy again.

hunt this one out to the bottom, threaten with lawyers if you must, i'm sure this is just something predatory that some level of support will just be able to cancel so they can harvest those who wont chase it for money, but wont actually have to worry for a class action by those who will actually go that far.

Eh I wouldn't use that to ban them for personal purchases, I'd just be more careful when checking out. BestBuy has easily some of the best deals on Open Box hardware around. I would never recommend paying for lawyers to get $33 back. What a horrible decision that would be.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Eh I wouldn't use that to ban them for personal purchases, I'd just be more careful when checking out. BestBuy has easily some of the best deals on Open Box hardware around. I would never recommend paying for lawyers to get $33 back. What a horrible decision that would be.

if they pull this crap straight-faced, i dont want to know what other levels they will sink to.

i've once had threats of a debt collection agency coming to collect two dollars for a store that decided after the fact that an item that cost 10 bucks should have been 12 bucks. it took me forwarding the surreal mail chain i've had with their support to every public facing E-mail address they have to get this resolved.

also - i never said getting lawyers involved. the threat of lawyers is often enough to get things done.