What Generally Panned Tech Product Did You Really Like?

maplepants

I have been using my Gen 1 Pixel Buds since I had an iPhone 7. I love 'em, and I really like the mitten string that holds them together. The gestures don't really work on iOS, but generally I think they're great little ear buds.

What about you guys? What did tech reviewers dislike but you loved?

Skylake-X. The mainstream tech tubers totally missed the point of the product. I'm still using 7920X today and it is sad there isn't anything else in its price range to really replace it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

37 minutes ago, porina said:

Skylake-X. The mainstream tech tubers totally missed the point of the product. I'm still using 7920X today and it is sad there isn't anything else in its price range to really replace it.

What did the X cores do differently or bring to the table, first time hearing about them

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

What did the X cores do differently or bring to the table, first time hearing about them

The microarchitecture was essentially Skylake but with added 2 unit AVX-512 capability, bigger L2 cache, and L3 mesh cache. It also came with 4 ram channels (8 slots at 2 DPC) and a load more PCIe lanes depending on the CPU model.

The problem was it was released in 2017, after Ryzen launched earlier that year. That 1st gen Ryzen was massively overhyped. AMD would sell you an 8 core CPU for the price of an Intel quad core. Cinebench scores were all that mattered to AMD fanboys to demonstrate superiority as it was about the only thing it ran well. In that year Intel transitioned from desktop quad core Kaby Lake to 6 core Coffee Lake. For most games of the time, the quad core Intel CPUs were much faster than Ryzen. So what about Skylake-X? While it offered more cores, the far superior platform features commanded a small price premium but this was largely ignored. Skylake-X was also slower than consumer Intel CPUs in gaming due to the mesh cache, but it was still no worse than Ryzen.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

I'm still using 7920X today and it is sad there isn't anything else in its price range to really replace it.

You would probably have to wait awhile for Sapphire Rapids to come down in price...unfortunately the motherboard prices really keep that platform out of reach for many ($850-$900 for a board). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

My AMD FX-8150 has served me real well, lol.

To me, that CPU is like that crappy car your old man gives to you when you first get your driving license. I still remember it fondly and have a soft spot for it in my heart, even though I know it was never a good CPU.

I actually ended up selling it and my GTX 960 to a friend of mine who occasionally plays old games. He's happy with it. So that crappy little hero of a CPU is still putting in work and making someone happy, all these years later. 🥹

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I have a synology RS819. It is nearly universally panned because "synology rack hardware is overpriced" and "ARM means it's no good for Plex" and "can't expand RAM".

I freaking love the thing. Because it's ARM based, it uses 10W idle. I don't like the quality hit of transcoding, so I just Plex stream everything at full quality-- and it never hiccups with 4+ streams of 4k at the same time. Everything else I do with it is a back ground task (cloning, backups), so speed matters not at all. And, I got the thing for $150, and it is super quiet and barely takes up any space in my rack. Plus, BRFS, so no bit rot.

It's just awesome all the time, and never puts a step wrong-- and every single synology enthusiast will say I bought the wrong unit 😛

13 hours ago, Obioban said:

I have a synology RS819. It is nearly universally panned because "synology rack hardware is overpriced" and "ARM means it's no good for Plex" and "can't expand RAM".

I freaking love the thing. Because it's ARM based, it uses 10W idle. I don't like the quality hit of transcoding, so I just Plex stream everything at full quality-- and it never hiccups with 4+ streams of 4k at the same time. Everything else I do with it is a back ground task (cloning, backups), so speed matters not at all. And, I got the thing for $150, and it is super quiet and barely takes up any space in my rack. Plus, BRFS, so no bit rot.

It's just awesome all the time, and never puts a step wrong-- and every single synology enthusiast will say I bought the wrong unit 😛

I've seriously been eyeing an ARM synology but they get so panned for their Plex performance. But given the energy prices in Germany I care way more about the 10w idle than I do about Plex (especially because my Mac Studio handles Plex just fine).

16 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

My AMD FX-8150 has served me real well, lol.

I still remember it fondly and have a soft spot for it in my heart, even though I know it was never a good CPU.

Still running mine (8300 overclocked somewhat). It was pretty good when optimised in the day, just not a good deal. Useless today if you want to do anything cpu heavy. 

but hey still runs cyberpunk at 1440 medium/high for me (albeit 60fps).  

As for crap reviewd hardware, my shitty dlink 2 bay nas has been great for the home. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

7 hours ago, maplepants said:

I've seriously been eyeing an ARM synology but they get so panned for their Plex performance. But given the energy prices in Germany I care way more about the 10w idle than I do about Plex (especially because my Mac Studio handles Plex just fine).

It's great for plex so long as your client devices can play the content in full quality-- only an issue if you try to have the synology transcode. 

On 9/25/2023 at 3:56 AM, porina said:

My i7-9800X paired with an EVGA X299 Dark runs pretty good. 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI