Dwarf Fortress Releases to Linux after 20+ years

iggy12345

Summary

On September 19th Dwarf Fortress, a beloved ASCII Dwarf colony simulator in development since 2002, has finally been released with support for Linux!

Quotes

50.10 now live: Alerts, ammo, food, and Linux

My thoughts

I think now is a great time to look at dwarf fortress if you've never heard of it, it's made by two guys as a passion project that have been working on it since 2002. It's been notoriously a windows only game for a long time, but now it's available natively on Linux!

To understand the history of this game:

I think this is a big deal, it means I can finally play the game on my linux machines, but it also means the game is more easily available to players, so it deserves recognition

Sources

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/5430833992895813012?l=english

What's more impressive is that this game has multicore, something many triple A games still struggle with.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 9/23/2023 at 10:07 PM, williamcll said:

What's more impressive is that this game has multicore, something many triple A games still struggle with.

Does it? Last time I played the game, it pegged out but a single core. From what I recall, the game favors very fast single-thread performance, and low latency memory. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 9/21/2023 at 10:47 AM, iggy12345 said:

Summary

On September 19th Dwarf Fortress, a beloved ASCII Dwarf colony simulator in development since 2002, has finally been released with support for Linux!

Well, finally Star Citizen knows what the record is, it can now go for it.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:29 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

Does it? Last time I played the game, it pegged out but a single core. From what I recall, the game favors very fast single-thread performance, and low latency memory. 

They've been getting it to work since june, you need to enable it in the settings however.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/eventcomments/3806153359217295682

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder if it needed the port. I'm sure Steam Proton or Wine would've done the job just fine. Just seems like more work for little benefit, or maybe I'm missing something key to development. 

I'm more interested to see if it ever gets Deck Verfied. Maybe the port would make it easier to do so.

On 9/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, Kaffeinated Aura said:

Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder if it needed the port. I'm sure Steam Proton or Wine would've done the job just fine. Just seems like more work for little benefit, or maybe I'm missing something key to development. 

I'm more interested to see if it ever gets Deck Verfied. Maybe the port would make it easier to do so.

Honestly I don't know why it wasn't on linux to begin with, like Hu4d said, it's the most linuxy game I know, and it was windows only for 20+ years?

Wine and Proton are pretty overkill to be able to play this game, and it's not like anything is forcing the game to use windows, I'm sure all it needed was updating header files to include different headers and tweaking a few things.