Badly applied thermal paste out of factory - experiences?

demolitionGoat

Since i bought my 2070 turbo (a blower style card) i always thought it was just it's build type that made it as loud as a jet engine when under load. 
Recently i decided to just clean it. Turns out you have to fully disassemble the thing to get to the fin stack.
In the process i found out that the thermal paste on there was just terribly applied. Not at all covering the whole die. 
Have any of you guys had similar experiences? 
Should one just open cards up every time after purchase?

15 minutes ago, demolitionGoat said:

Since i bought my 2070 turbo (a blower style card) i always thought it was just it's build type that made it as loud as a jet engine when under load. 
Recently i decided to just clean it. Turns out you have to fully disassemble the thing to get to the fin stack.
In the process i found out that the thermal paste on there was just terribly applied. Not at all covering the whole die. 
Have any of you guys had similar experiences? 
Should one just open cards up every time after purchase?

Most of the time the thermal applications is spot on. Depends if you got high temps then maybe. Normally I would advice to just return or RMA the card to not void the warranty. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Every time I decided to repaste a GPU once it got more than a couple years old, I never saw a bad pasting. Even redoing it with a high end paste of the time, it made no practical difference to temperatures.

I can't rule out there may be bad applications out there. Was it out of the factory? Did a previous owner do it? Beware also it wasn't disturbed in the removal process.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Every time I decided to repaste a GPU once it got more than a couple years old, I never saw a bad pasting. Even redoing it with a high end paste of the time, it made no practical difference to temperatures.

I can't rule out there may be bad applications out there. Was it out of the factory? Did a previous owner do it? Beware also it wasn't disturbed in the removal process.

I bought it years back new and rarely had the opportunity to run it full load. 
I can't rule out that i disturbed it though i was as careful as i could. 
The before/after was night and day though. It's not silent but it's quiet for sure now when used normally and even under some solid load. The paste wasn't overly dry so I doubt that was it.
I guess if it's rarely a thing i can rest easy when i get my next card eventually.

45 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Normally I would advice to just return or RMA the card to not void the warranty. 

Probably depends on where you live, but in the US, that SHOULD not void your warranty.  However, you have horrible companies like ASRock that ignore these things (they aren't the only one, just a recent example, and a GPU, so a good example for this thread). 

Knowing how RMAs have been going for people recently through some of these companies, I think I'd be checking the card as soon as you get it, and just returning it to the vendor within the return window if you think something is wrong with it.