Storage Solution for Home

More Spencer

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to fix up my storage solution for my home server. Currently this is how everything is setup

image.png.4d47f33169a75198e3f9fb31d86fab07.png

• My network shares are running on my home server (i5 7400, 16GB Ram, GTX 1080) using Samba and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
    • One 4TB drive and one 2TB drive. These are their own drives running seperately
    • I access them through the network using a Powerline adapter and they're external drives, so I use the single front panel USB 3 port with a hub connected to it, just so I can get USB 3 (I know, it's terrible)

As you can tell, I'm running out of storage very quickly. I need to move everything on my D Drive and E Drive to my server so I can free up some space on my PC. I'm trying to figure out the most cost efficient and best way to do this.

If you guys have any ideas (networking, drives in RAID, component upgrades, etc) then let me know! No specific budget in mind, but I'm open to anything.

Cheers

id say just direct connect a 10gig lan cable to the server and make folders for the drives on the server, then drag and drop your files across.

in relation to getting new drives, if you got the money, get some green 2/4tb ironwolf drives if you need raw storage without needing too much speed

7 hours ago, More Spencer said:

I need to move everything on my D Drive and E Drive to my server so I can free up some space on my PC. I'm trying to figure out the most cost efficient and best way to do this.

Add harddrives to your NAS..? Just buy some internal drives, plug them in via SATA, and away you go. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Connecting external drives as a NAS is less than ideal, especially if they have no redundancy.

Install a pair of large hard drives in your home server and run them in a mirror, or install four and run a striped mirror (RAID 10).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

20 hours ago, maplepants said:

Is the windows machine the home server? 

22 hours ago, More Spencer said:

My network shares are running on my home server (i5 7400, 16GB Ram, GTX 1080) using Samba and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

That screenshot was taken from my host, so no

14 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Connecting external drives as a NAS is less than ideal, especially if they have no redundancy.

Install a pair of large hard drives in your home server and run them in a mirror, or install four and run a striped mirror (RAID 10).

Newbie question here, but RAID 10 doesn't work as backup.. Right?

14 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Add harddrives to your NAS..? Just buy some internal drives, plug them in via SATA, and away you go. 

Thanks, but do you think RAID or something like that is a good idea for what is essentially just an archive server (if you don't count plex)? Genuine question by the way, not trying to sound like a smartass lol

26 minutes ago, More Spencer said:

Thanks, but do you think RAID or something like that is a good idea for what is essentially just an archive server (if you don't count plex)? Genuine question by the way, not trying to sound like a smartass lol

For speed, no, but just in case a drive fails, yes.

If you ned lots of storage I would not go with any HDD lower than 8TB personally.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

54 minutes ago, More Spencer said:

RAID is always a good idea, but likely not a great idea if it’ll either be software RAID in windows or hardware RAID via your mobo. 

Windows can be ok, but I just don’t know enough about it to tell you what makes it actually a not bad idea. I run truenas, and it uses ZFS, which is by far and away the best file system out there. A ZFS RAID array I 100% recommend, but that would entail switching to a different OS for your NAS (assuming your using windows..?. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

2 hours ago, More Spencer said:

Newbie question here, but RAID 10 doesn't work as backup.. Right?

Correct. RAID is not a backup, but it adds a layer of insurance against having to restore from your backups!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Correct. RAID is not a backup, but it adds a layer of insurance against having to restore from your backups!

To expand here, backups are to protect against data loss. RAID is to protect against drive failures.

On 9/20/2023 at 4:12 PM, LIGISTX said:

RAID is always a good idea, but likely not a great idea if it’ll either be software RAID in windows or hardware RAID via your mobo. 

Windows can be ok, but I just don’t know enough about it to tell you what makes it actually a not bad idea. I run truenas, and it uses ZFS, which is by far and away the best file system out there. A ZFS RAID array I 100% recommend, but that would entail switching to a different OS for your NAS (assuming your using windows..?. 

I'm using Ubuntu Server. It's running a multitude of stuff under docker so AFAIK I can't just install truenas or unraid or something? Unless I used a VM. Very new to storage server stuff, so apologies if I sound really stupid here haha

1 hour ago, More Spencer said:

I'm using Ubuntu Server. It's running a multitude of stuff under docker so AFAIK I can't just install truenas or unraid or something? Unless I used a VM. Very new to storage server stuff, so apologies if I sound really stupid here haha

ZFS can trivially be installed and set up on Ubuntu - it's actually easier than running mdadm. Just Google for it and find a tutorial you like the look of 🙂

2 hours ago, digitalscream said:

ZFS can trivially be installed and set up on Ubuntu - it's actually easier than running mdadm. Just Google for it and find a tutorial you like the look of 🙂

This. Run ZFS, just look into its limitations (can’t easily add more drives), but it’s the best option by far imo.