First time building a server for a small company, would this be a good build? What server OS would be needed?

Skyyblaze
1 hour ago, Skyyblaze said:

Thanks for that! Honestly I don't mind either way, I just thought that running off an iGPU is "cleaner" for a system I likely won't ever access directly anymore after the initial setup, all maintenance I would do via RDP anyhow The cache is of course an upgrade but purely out of curiosities sake, would you even notice the difference in everyday office tasks?

I'll actually call with one of the bosses this evening and within the coming days I'll phone up the Curasoft support so instead of guessing around they should just tell me what we would need on the server for Curasoft to be working and then I'll be done with it. As for the legalities, before we do anything the whole thing will be signed off by a lawyer anyhow and that's not my task-area so I'll just give them my proposal and adjust things as needed.

I'll actually call with one of the bosses this evening and within the coming days I'll phone up the Curasoft support so instead of guessing around they should just tell me what we would need on the server for Curasoft to be working and then I'll be done with it. As for the legalities, before we do anything the whole thing will be signed off by a lawyer anyhow and that's not my task-area so I'll just give them my proposal and adjust things as needed.

All workstations were recently updated and run Windows 11 Pro, we couldn't have used Home for legal reasons anyhow. As for the rest both bosses told me they would ideally not want any external HDD/SSD to care about and just dump everything once a day into a secure cloud-storage. I'm not a fan of Cloud only for backups but ultimately that won't be my decision, I'll just give my recommendations and concerns and the final decision will be made by the bosses and the lawyer.

As for downtime, my idea is to build a parallel network for testing purposes with the old workstations and if that runs smoothly I'll just mirror that setup to the new workstations over a weekend as no office work is being done on weekends.

All workstations run 11 Pro, we couldn't have used Home for legal reasons anyway.

Everything will be signed off by a lawyer before anything is being done, all I'll be doing is voicing recommendations and concerns and adjust things as legally necessary so I don't worry about that part.

Technically the 5700G and 5800x have more different than just the L3 cache. The 5700G uses a monolithic die with the Vega iGPU versus the 5800x which uses standard Ryzen MCM architecture. The practical outcome of that is 32MB vs 16MB of L3 cache, but otherwise their raw single/multicore performance scales about the same relative to clock speed. Budget wise, the 5700G is just more cost efficient and will likely consume less power, where the extra L3 cache really only matters for specific applications, most of which being games.

The legalities are important in this context since it can limit/dictate how the network structure is. This would be a scenario where you'd want to get a proper recommendation, likely based on a template for how the company structure is. Depending on the state's legalities, having official designation for the system/network administrators being apart of that. I can only speak on the US side of this minefield and therefore HIPAA, however.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017