Is the top side of my psu safe to touch while its connected to socket but not running?

CheersDude31

I  turned off the clicky thing on the psu to be sure and used a q-tip to clean the surface of the psu.Did ı do anything wrong?Its a new psu msı a650 gold

It's fine. The entire PC case is connected to that PSU too you know. The out casing of the PSU is grounded. If it were to hurt you something is very wrong.

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

It's fine. The entire PC case is connected to that PSU too you know. The out casing of the PSU is grounded. If it were to hurt you something is very wrong.

This is correct. The “shell” of the PSU is entirely safe to touch unless the PSU is damaged. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

This is correct. The “shell” of the PSU is entirely safe to touch unless the PSU is damaged. 

Is it safe to clean the small dust spots with q tip too?

Just now, CheersDude31 said:

You can just use your hand, or a towel. Q tip is fine. Just don’t stick anything inside the outer shell. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, CheersDude31 said:

Yes.  The q tip isn't going to conduct electricity.  Even if it did, the transformer inside is also safe to touch.  It isn't till you get to the capacitors and voltage rails that you are in danger.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

7 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Yes.  The q tip isn't going to conduct electricity.  Even if it did, the transformer inside is also safe to touch.  It isn't till you get to the capacitors and voltage rails that you are in danger.

Are all that stuff located inside it?

IF you have your AC cable plugged in a grounded outlet/socket (or in a power strip with grounding and that in turn plugged in an outlet with grounding), then you're fine.

If you don't use grounding, it's best to change it and plug the computer in a grounded socket otherwise you may experience some tingles in your hands when you touch any exposed metal. 

The metal of the case is connected on purpose to the grounding wire of the AC cable.  The power supply is designed to make contact with the metal case through the metal screws used to attach power supply to the case... and through any part of the case that's not covered by paint.

Most cases are nowadays covered with paint, which would somewhat insulate the case but even if you touched metal of the psu case or the case itself, it's fine to touch it. It's grounded.