rx 7900 xtx power limiting to 250W?

JoHeJo06

is there any way to get a 7900 xtx to not use more than 250W? its not because my psu isnt good enough, i live in belgium and electricity is crazy expensive here. i dont want my total setup to use more than about 400W. my monitor uses about 50-60W so that leaves 340W for the pc. for cpu i picked the 7800x3d for its efficiency, undervolted it and now it barely uses any energy. (like 35W max) now there is about 300W left, the rest of the pc uses 30W. now we have a little over 250W left for the gpu. in amd adrenalin and other gpu tweaking softwares, you can only choose to set the PL to a min of -10% (355W-->315W). but is there any other way to limit the power consumption lower than this or do i just have to limit the frequency?

(you might ask yourself, why dont you buy a 4080 instead? yes, it uses close to 250W in game but amds adrenalin software and gaming features are way superior imo. geforce experience is just basically a game launcher with some extra hardware things.)

Do you have some kind of electricity meter to measure how much power your PC actually uses? The GPU's maximum power limit being 315W does not mean it'll draw that much all the time.

I would look into AMD's Wattman (it's a part of Adrenalin), you should be able to undervolt the card to reduce its power draw. But it'll likely take some fiddling to get it to run stable. Other than that, limiting clocks is also a good way to limit maximum power draw. Otherwise, there's also the option of limiting frame rate/enabling V-Sync to ensure the GPU doesn't have to run at 100%.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Do you have some kind of electricity meter to measure how much power your PC actually uses? The GPU's maximum power limit being 315W does not mean it'll draw that much all the time.

I would look into AMD's Wattman (it's a part of Adrenalin), you should be able to undervolt the card to reduce its power draw. But it'll likely take some fiddling to get it to run stable. Other than that, limiting clocks is also a good way to limit maximum power draw. Otherwise, there's also the option of limiting frame rate/enabling V-Sync to ensure the GPU doesn't have to run at 100%.

yes i have a little meter with a lcd display, works really nice, it can measure almost everything from the wall. and i know about the power limit, it depends on the game with RDNA3, its really weird. in some games it can do 2.9Ghz and dont max out the power limit and in other games it can only hit 2.4 and it sits right on the PL border.

looks like limiting core clock speeds per game with a memory OC is the best option in my case

10 minutes ago, JoHeJo06 said:

looks like limiting core clock speeds per game with a memory OC is the best option in my case

Completely forgot, for newer cards there's also an auto-undervolt button. I'd give that a try. It should get you fairly similar result to a manual undervolt, while being a lot less work.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Completely forgot, for newer cards there's also an auto-undervolt button. I'd give that a try. It should get you fairly similar result to a manual undervolt, while being a lot less work.

yeah ill tune it manual, i tuned multiple cpus, gpus and memory before.

You might not get it all the way down to 250W considering its a 350W card with OC models such as my Red Devil running 375W stock.

However, there is a very easy way to reduce power built right into AMDs Adrenaline Driver Software.

Simply head to "Performance" > "Tuning" tab and then enable custom tuning/overclocking. At the bottom on the right hand side below fan tuning you will see "Power Limit". Turn the tuning option on and slide the bar all the way to the left to reduce power limit by 15%. This should bring the power down to 280-300 Watts.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Sell it and buy an Nvidia 😄

Outside of absolutely crippling the card, that’s about all you can do to save juice.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

On 9/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Undervoltinf does not reduce the 7900XTX power draw by itself, All it does is increase the clock speed for the giving power limit , its just a form of overclocking.

You can definately set a lower maximum clock but there's no way to get it to an exact power figure.

I can get 3100mhz in Valhalla with 355w or I can do 2500mhz in furmark with 355w on the 7900XT.

Best option for you OP would be do undervolt but also set a framerate cap in games to keep the power usage low.

Ironically a 7900XT with -10% power limit would get you to 277w , very close to your target.

Also the 7800X3D will use alot more than 35w in some games , I am getting to 60-70w in starfield , its efficient but its not that efficient.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

18 hours ago, freeagent said:

Sell it and buy an Nvidia 😄

Outside of absolutely crippling the card, that’s about all you can do to save juice.

nvidia software sucks tho

I'm surprised that AMD would limit the power reduction options so much. My old RX 580 is allowed to go down to -50%.

Another way to limit power consumption would be to use a tool like RivaTuner Statistics Server to cap your framerate. That will throttle your GPU's performance, although how effective that would be would be game dependent.

4 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I'm surprised that AMD would limit the power reduction options so much. My old RX 580 is allowed to go down to -50%.

Another way to limit power consumption would be to use a tool like RivaTuner Statistics Server to cap your framerate. That will throttle your GPU's performance, although how effective that would be would be game dependent.

Yeah this is the problem.

Would be nice to get atleast a -25% option but -10% Is a bit weak.

I'm a big proponent for AMD gpus but if power was a concern the OP should not have gone for an AMD gpu.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

16 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Yeah this is the problem.

Would be nice to get atleast a -25% option but -10% Is a bit weak.

I'm a big proponent for AMD gpus but if power was a concern the OP should not have gone for an AMD gpu.

facts

A limit of 250W for a 7900 XTX appears good to me....why does he want it lower?

2 hours ago, Paul17 said:

A limit of 250W for a 7900 XTX appears good to me....why does he want it lower?

The guy lives in Belgium and electricity is crazy expensive there.

I think without proper power source the card could be damaged and can't provide actual performances.

Jag är så himla nöjd för jag har äntligen uppgraderat min laptop batteri. Min Macbook Air och även min Macbook Pro har fått nytt liv och jag är så tacksam! 😍 Med Halloween och Black Friday runt hörnet känner jag mig extra lycklig över mitt köp, och kan inte vänta med att se vad för fynd jag kan göra då! 🛍 Tack Byta Batteri för det enkla och smidiga köpet, och nu är jag redo för att fortsätta skapa och utforska med min nya och pålitliga laptop! 💻 #BytaBatteriMacbookAir #MacbookAirBatteri #BatteriMacbookAir #BatteriMacbookPro #LaptopBatteri #Halloween #BlackFriday #NöjdKund

5 hours ago, olofssonjoakim01 said:

I think without proper power source the card could be damaged and can't provide actual performances.

I have a brand new nzxt c850

6 hours ago, olofssonjoakim01 said:

You can't damage a card by not giving it enough power , that's now how they work.