Will my PSU be able to power this?

Giganthrax

Hello everyone,

MY PROBLEM: I want to upgrade my GPU but I'm not sure if the power draw of new GPUs is going to be too much for my PSU.

My PSU is a Seasonic M12II 620W. Been using it for roughly 5 years now, works great.

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3700x and a GTX 1070 8gb, 16gb RAM, two SSDs, and some HDDs. The CPU has a default TDP of 65W (no overclock), while the GPU has a TDP of 150W and a suggested 450W PSU. This shouldn't amount to more than 250-300W total usage even under extensive load (gaming is the most heavy-duty thing I do on my computer).

I'm thinking of getting an RX 7800 XT (TDP 263W) or possibly a RTX 4070 (TDP 200W). Now, these TDPs should fall well within the limits of my 620W PSU (the newegg calculator says the rtx 4070 should be fine), but the minimum manufacturer-recommended PSU wattages for these GPUs are 700W and 650W, respectively.

Is there something I'm missing here? Since my PSU is getting a little long in the tooth, is it possible that it may have lost a significant portion of its total power capacity? Should I stick with lower TDP GPUs or can I safely install something like a RTX 4070 and not worry about it?

Replacing the PSU is not an option at this time, as I don't feel like dishing out the extra cash or having to disassembling my whole PC to install it.

Thanks for your input!

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

5 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

My PSU is a Seasonic M12II 620W

M12II or M12II EVO?

M12II 620w is a group regulated unit with bad voltage regulation and bad protections. I wouldn't use it with recent hardware. M12II EVO 620w is a bit better, especially the protection features but it still has a terrible voltage regulation. Not a unit for recent hardware either.

6 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Hello everyone,

MY PROBLEM: I want to upgrade my GPU but I'm not sure if the power draw of new GPUs is going to be too much for my PSU.

My PSU is a Seasonic M12II 620W. Been using it for roughly 5 years now, works great.

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3700x and a GTX 1070 8gb, 16gb RAM, two SSDs, and some HDDs. The CPU has a default TDP of 65W (no overclock), while the GPU has a TDP of 150W and a suggested 450W PSU. This shouldn't amount to more than 250-300W total usage even under extensive load (gaming is the most heavy-duty thing I do on my computer).

I'm thinking of getting an RX 7800 XT (TDP 263W) or possibly a RTX 4070 (TDP 200W). Now, these TDPs should fall well within the limits of my 620W PSU (the newegg calculator says the rtx 4070 should be fine), but the minimum manufacturer-recommended PSU wattages for these GPUs are 700W and 650W, respectively.

Is there something I'm missing here? Since my PSU is getting a little long in the tooth, is it possible that it may have lost a significant portion of its total power capacity? Should I stick with lower TDP GPUs or can I safely install something like a RTX 4070 and not worry about it?

Replacing the PSU is not an option at this time, as I don't feel like dishing out the extra cash or having to disassembling my whole PC to install it.

Thanks for your input!

Power supply recommendation

"Now we come to the point, which leads the expected sensation of exploding power supplies completely ad absurdum. Even IF you hopelessly overpower the card, no one really needs ATX 3.0 power supplies over 1000 watts, unless the CPU eats more than 300 watts. This is really just a job creation measure for the struggling power supply industry and only satisfies the sick imagination of some standardization fetishists. You really have to put it so harshly. So you should always stay below 600 to 700 watts even together with the CPU, if you count up to 10 ms. Because it is what the power supplies still “see”"

Radeon RX 7800XT and RX 7700XT Review - AMD, XFX and Sapphire against NVIDIA with reason or energetic crowbar | Page 11 | igor´sLAB (igorslab.de)

Recommended is 600W. Normal power spiking is ~330W but can spike to ~440W. In this case, the recommended is probably fine, unless you're running it with an overclocked 13900KS at 100% all the time. 650W power supplies being an abundant choice, but if you wanted to be safe, an 850W power supply hits a good value to flexibility point in my opinion.

A 620W Seasonic that's about 5 years old is still likely able to maintain at least 600W, so I think you're good. If you wanted to overclock the 7800 XT or CPU upgrade in the future, then I'd suggest upgrading the PSU, probably to an 850W.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Thank you for all your replies, people! I appreciate them. 🙂

SID's reply concerns me a bit, but if it turns out my Seasonic can't deal with newer hardware, than that would probably be a good reason to upgrade.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

5 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Thank you for all your replies, people! I appreciate them. 🙂

SID's reply concerns me a bit, but if it turns out my Seasonic can't deal with newer hardware, than that would probably be a good reason to upgrade.

Are they wrong? No not at all.

However for its time that psu was a good unit however its simply missing all the new protections which makes things safer in case of a catastrophic failiure of an outside or inside element.

Its not like you have a bomb in there. Just a good psu design in 2012 which is now at best mid in terms of what features and such it has in 2023.

I dont recommend pushing it but as is it will be fine.

Same thing with my original hx1000 from 2010. It'll happily run 4x gtx 280's and a ocd i7 920 no sweat but it turns off running a 3080 and stock i7n920 because it cant handle the way modern stuff draws power. Still goes down safely but if done too many times or something else happens it can fry my stuff