The All TEMU Gaming Setup

mynameGeoff
6 hours ago, Spotty said:

I'm surprised so many people didn't get the joke, but disappointed with how little faith they have immediately assuming it must be a mistake. 

It is because some people are watching just to find mistakes and not using 1 second to think of it from a common sense perspective.

They obviously did it as a quick throwaway gag. Though I kinda wish they had a second purpose for it in mind, where it'd be easy to shine a light on people watching just to find "errors".

3 hours ago, Mokomoko said:

I must have missed it, how much was the whole PC setup in total? Was it at least cheap?

They gave the price of each item as it went along but I don't recall them showing a total. I guess one of us could just add it up but off memory, it seemed like it'd be a relatively cheap system.

7 hours ago, mMontana said:

Joking on video quality with these "stunts", IMVHO, is walking a thin line.

Lmao get a grip. It's a joke on a YouTube video. Stop looking for issues, you'll drive yourself insane.

I'm expressing an opinion, not menacing anyone. 🙂

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

"It's like someone bought Wish.com from Wish.com" is an incredible description of Temu.

I had never heard of Temu until the last 2-3 months probably, from people buying TTRPG dice there. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

17 hours ago, Spotty said:

It's meant to be the text that Linus is reading from the teleprompter. It's correct for his point of view looking towards the camera. At that point in the video he mentioned reading the price for one of the products off the teleprompter. 

I'm surprised so many people didn't get the joke, but disappointed with how little faith they have immediately assuming it must be a mistake. 

How is it a "joke"??  I (and i am sure many others) want to actually read the specs of the products he is talking about. The facts, that help people decide on purchasing decisions or just to be informed how good, or crappy it is.  After all the latest drama, how can you expect anyone to take them purposefully making a joke that goes against what they just came out saying they would fix?  Some people calling it a "Glitch", seriously, error and glitch are synonyms. I know most things on temu are crappy, but i want to know how crappy.

That "joke" was not at all clear, and moistly ruined my absorption of the rest of the vid, as i can't help but focus on glaring "error/joke". 🫠😝

Hey Team, 

First time writing on this forum but i've been a subscriber ever since the Linus team was working out of a bedroom in his house. I wanted to express a few things about this video and how much in it contradicts your environmental and ethics values.

Temu has now popped up across most of my favourite tech reviewers with some already calling them out to have ties to forced labour industries in China. The fact that there is an Investigation already underway with the US Congress prior to the release of this video, why would you then go promot it on your channel? 

ontop of this, it comes down to e-waste! You openly criticise many large companies for having plastics in the unboxing but then go publish a site where you know the products are garbage and most of it will be thrown out into the bin. Even if you have an in-house system that the products are passed down to people or given away the company itself is being promoted through your channel for consumers to buy complete garbage that will break or be thrown away quickly. 

pretty disappointing when you Linus Tech Tips want to be the authority in good products and honest reviews and calling companies out....

References:

https://apnews.com/article/temu-shein-forced-labor-china-de7b5398c76fda58404abc6ec5684972

https://www.uscc.gov/research/shein-temu-and-chinese-e-commerce-data-risks-sourcing-violations-and-trade-loopholes

https://selectcommitteeontheccp.house.gov/media/press-releases/select-committee-releases-interim-findings-shein-temu-forced-labor 

10 minutes ago, Johnsnowaus said:

Hey Team, 

First time writing on this forum but i've been a subscriber ever since the Linus team was working out of a bedroom in his house. I wanted to express a few things about this video and how much in it contradicts your environmental and ethics values.

Temu has now popped up across most of my favourite tech reviewers with some already calling them out to have ties to forced labour industries in China. The fact that there is an Investigation already underway with the US Congress prior to the release of this video, why would you then go promot it on your channel? 

ontop of this, it comes down to e-waste! You openly criticise many large companies for having plastics in the unboxing but then go publish a site where you know the products are garbage and most of it will be thrown out into the bin. Even if you have an in-house system that the products are passed down to people or given away the company itself is being promoted through your channel for consumers to buy complete garbage that will break or be thrown away quickly. 

pretty disappointing when you Linus Tech Tips want to be the authority in good products and honest reviews and calling companies out....

References:

https://apnews.com/article/temu-shein-forced-labor-china-de7b5398c76fda58404abc6ec5684972

https://www.uscc.gov/research/shein-temu-and-chinese-e-commerce-data-risks-sourcing-violations-and-trade-loopholes

https://selectcommitteeontheccp.house.gov/media/press-releases/select-committee-releases-interim-findings-shein-temu-forced-labor 

"wtf is temu" is in my mind when i see the title of the vids - searched using "temu" and instantly seeing a lot of bad thing about temu.

https://time.com/6243738/temu-app-complaints/  >> one of the example

https://apnews.com/article/temu-shein-forced-labor-china-de7b5398c76fda58404abc6ec5684972 >> well?

and from what i read it seems like the pyramid scheme promotion is real, where people get reward from promoting and make others to join.

but what im curious if LTT team even consider if temu will produce controversy if i by searching a little bit using search engine can yield a lot of fault for temu, or did they just dont care because ltt have affiliate link to temu?

5 minutes ago, faketruth said:

"wtf is temu" is in my mind when i see the title of the vids - searched using "temu" and instantly seeing a lot of bad thing about temu.

https://time.com/6243738/temu-app-complaints/  >> one of the example

https://apnews.com/article/temu-shein-forced-labor-china-de7b5398c76fda58404abc6ec5684972 >> well?

and from what i read it seems like the pyramid scheme promotion is real, where people get reward from promoting and make others to join.

but what im curious if LTT team even consider if temu will produce controversy if i by searching a little bit using search engine can yield a lot of fault for temu, or did they just dont care because ltt have affiliate link to temu?

Exactly, and ontop of that one of your moderators replied 'The video is sponsored by Seasonic, not Temu. They're "making fun" of Temu as the subject.'

REGARDLESS of making fun of Temu, you're (LTT) still promoting there website and buying from it! So just because your sponsor is paying you to make fun of them you're inevitably promoting a company that has linked to forced labor and promoting E-waste.... 

I kinda wish they had addressed the fact that U.S. government as well as human rights groups have warned that products sold on Temu have an "extremely high risk" of being linked to forced labor. Linking to the products was irresponsible IMO. 

19 hours ago, Johnsnowaus said:

So just because your sponsor is paying you to make fun of them 

Temu is not paying them. 

You can make an argument about whether this type of video falls into the "any publicity is good publicity" bucket for Temu, but Temu is not the sponsor, and you do your case a disservice by acting like they are. 

35 minutes ago, Cash said:

I kinda wish they had addressed the fact that U.S. government as well as human rights groups have warned that products sold on Temu have an "extremely high risk" of being linked to forced labor.

So do iPhones. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

59 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So do iPhones. 

That is also a good point. Though I believe this has more to do with some of the suppliers of components. Apple has a stated policy against this and has fired suppliers due to these issues in the past. Temu does not appear to have ever done anything about any of these allegations though. 

On 9/4/2023 at 6:39 AM, Mokomoko said:

I must have missed it, how much was the whole PC setup in total? Was it at least cheap?

most of the actual PC components weren't from Temu, so it didn't matter.  

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

Temu is not paying them. 

You can make an argument about whether this type of video falls into the "any publicity is good publicity" bucket for Temu, but Temu is not the sponsor, and you do your case a disservice by acting like they are. 

So do iPhones. 

I never said Temu was paying them, I said (or meant) just because the sponsor (seasonic) is paying you..

IMHO I felt like LTT in their own way pointed out why not to buy from TEMU in a very tech focused and non-political way.  

Turns out that cheap goods made with Uighur slave labor aren't great for your PC. 

Just to nit-pick regarding the CPU cooler: 

Light does not equal bad, it just means less thermal inertia under the assumption that the surface area (fins) and thermal conductivity are the same.

Now I'm not to defend that CPU cooler because it seemed less then stellar, but I just wanted to get this out since I've seen the same sentiment on this forum before regarding coolers.  

EDIT:// What made me make this post was that @LinusTech made an off hand comment about this in the video

8 hours ago, Spindel said:

Just to nit-pick regarding the CPU cooler: 

Light does not equal bad, it just means less thermal inertia under the assumption that the surface area (fins) and thermal conductivity are the same.

Now I'm not to defend that CPU cooler because it seemed less then stellar, but I just wanted to get this out since I've seen the same sentiment on this forum before regarding coolers.  

EDIT:// What made me make this post was that @LinusTech made an off hand comment about this in the video

unfortunately in this case, it's entirely accurate.

For most non-low-end devices today, an all aluminum cooler isn't gonna cut anymore.  They're not able to handle the heat load of even good i5's and R5's today.  

You need copper heat pipes and more surface area to manage that.  And those things add mass.  It's why so many chips today don't include stock coolers.  Flower designs just can't cut it anymore.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:12 AM, -Old-Tom- said:

I would be very careful around TEMU I have heard several reports of spurious transactions on the credit cards after buying from TEMU. I'm not sure if it is their website or their payment processor. Keep an eye on your credit card accounts after purchasing from TEMU.

This happened to me, I bought some random crafting supplies and ended up with multiple charges adding up to around £400. The bank was able to reverse the transactions but yet. 

Think I will stick to aliexpress 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 hours ago, Middcore said:

Temu is not paying them. 

It doesn't matter if its paid promotion/sponsor or not. It's promotion for Temu. People will now know about Temu, go there, poke around, and buy something. Temu wins regardless.

8 hours ago, throwaway-g said:

It doesn't matter if its paid promotion/sponsor or not. It's promotion for Temu. People will now know about Temu, go there, poke around, and buy something. Temu wins regardless.

It's not like Austin did 3 videos on it, without iirc any of points brought up here. Mrwhostheboss did a vid, like a day after LTT, and he I think pinned his comment saying something like "if the accusations are true we should not support temu".

But there are a lot of videos, both on Youtube and tiktok where people are sponsored by Temu, and not even making fun of them. People know that marketplaces other than alibaba, aliexpress are mostly some sort of scammer paradise, and video like that from LTT was given sooner or later (going by their "I made a pc setup using *insert seller*" series).

48 minutes ago, Tankers said:

It's not like Austin did 3 videos on it, without iirc any of points brought up here. Mrwhostheboss did a vid, like a day after LTT, and he I think pinned his comment saying something like "if the accusations are true we should not support temu".

I honestly don't know who those people/channels are. I mainly subscribe to software related stuff, LTT, HUB, and a couple of Apple related channels.

I'm not opposed to LTT doing ali express videos and such, nor am I opposed to buying stuff from China, but Temu and Shein appear to be 2 very shady companies, especially Temu.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:56 PM, marcgii said:

Try searching Reddit for "LTT Megumin" or something like that.

But I want the original!!!!!!

C'mon LMG Team you KNEW this was going to be a demand from the fans!!!!!!

(Update: Nevermind! I find original artist already linked in this thread! Thank you!)

Edited by Arbiter1
I found what I was looking for!

The TEMU app is now classified as Spyware/Malware by security researchers:
https://grizzlyreports.com/we-believe-pdd-is-a-dying-fraudulent-company-and-its-shopping-app-temu-is-cleverly-hidden-spyware-that-poses-an-urgent-security-threat-to-u-s-national-interests/

Showing them off in any form at all, even to make fun of them, is doing a disservice to the LTT community. I think this needs a follow up video (and not just talk about it on WAN show which doesn't reach 90% of the viewers of the original video)

On 9/4/2023 at 6:42 PM, Johnsnowaus said:

I get what you and others are saying here... but LTT did not recommend the TEMU setup.  They demonstrated how crappy it was without making a cartoon out of it.  They did it in a way people who ... would not listen to a more political video ... would listen to. 

As one of my favorite channels put it. 

But the type of person who would watch them would figure out what the deal was as soon as we knew they were based in the PRC.   Outfits like them even sell cheap items like this to their own countrymen.   Even if their wasn't probably slave labor involved ... the items one gets from there would be disposable at best.  

LTT showed that they'll sell you a computer case that is rusting out of the box.  Any hardcore computer enthusiast would see that's a no go right there.   

3 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

The TEMU app is now classified as Spyware/Malware by security researchers:
https://grizzlyreports.com/we-believe-pdd-is-a-dying-fraudulent-company-and-its-shopping-app-temu-is-cleverly-hidden-spyware-that-poses-an-urgent-security-threat-to-u-s-national-interests/

Showing them off in any form at all, even to make fun of them, is doing a disservice to the LTT community. I think this needs a follow up video (and not just talk about it on WAN show which doesn't reach 90% of the viewers of the original video)

I may be out of line to say this.  But given the large number of people of Chinese and/or broadly Asian descent, including everyone who will ever be descended from him, I think Lins and LTT are well aware of these issues. 

The problem is, the demographic he speaks to are known for not listening to a straight forward factual message about anything.  Even when they are supposedly interested in it.  Gotta keep it fun, keep it light, and keep it easy.  

A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.