Donald Sterling Hires Prominent Antitrust Lawyer

HawaiiXT_290x

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24564013/report-donald-sterling-threatens-to-sue-the-nba

As much as I hate him and what he did/has done, the NBA is in serious trouble.  Legally they can govern their league through use of illegal wiretap. However, if/when this does hit federal court, the wiretap cannot be used and any federal sanctions the NBA tried to impose on him will be overturned.  Where the big issue lies is, if the antitrust gets challenged the NBA will lose due to violating constitutional rights.  If they lose their antitrust, that means any and all litigation has to go through federal court every time.

He is too old for this shit I wouldn't persue it if I were him.

He is too old for this shit I wouldn't persue it if I were him.

The NBA should have waited until the tape became public knowledge and then use it.  You can use public information that was illegally obtained because you are not the party that obtained it.  Once it becomes public knowledge it is free game.  They rushed WAY too fast before they consulted lawyers.

The NBA should have waited until the tape became public knowledge and then use it. You can use public information that was illegally obtained because you are not the party that obtained it. Once it becomes public knowledge it is free game. They rushed WAY too fast before they consulted lawyers.

Wasn't he banned after it all came out anyway?

I fixed it xD

Son of a bitch I had to ninja edit too. :D

Good. While he may be racist, he shouldn't lose his NBA team over it.

Good on him. I don't care how much money he has. 

I disagree, we should sent him to North Korea.  He is a terrible human being and deserves to pulled from the NBA.  A multicultural place like the NBA has no place for racism.  But the NBA screwed this one up and it is their fault when he walks and they have years of legal issues to fix.

I think this is more about the $2.5mil fine he is supposed to pay.

His team is lost either way, do you think the blacks will still play on his team after this scandal?

I doubt it, they'd be picketed.

I disagree, we should sent him to North Korea.  He is a terrible human being and deserves to pulled from the NBA.  A multicultural place like the NBA has no place for racism.  But the NBA screwed this one up and it is their fault when he walks and they have years of legal issues to fix.

Terrible human being? Is he not allowed to speak his opinion? What would have happened if a black man had said that he doesn't want his girlfriend hanging out with White people? Probably nothing. Or at least nothing major would have happened.

His team is lost either way, do you think the blacks will still play on his team after this scandal?

I'm sure some of 'em would still do it for the money.

Although you do still bring up a good point. 

Forcing the sale of the team and the fine are a "federal" issue more so a civil court issue.  But they broke constitutional law to force a federal regulation is the big issue.

Edit: The problem is, their constitution states they can force the sale of a team if the vote is 75%. But it's not exactly constitutional which is why antitrust is being challenged. Just because their bylaws say they can do it doesn't mean the court will uphold it. Which is the essential issue.

Terrible human being? Is he not allowed to speak his opinion? What would have happened if a black man had said that he doesn't want his girlfriend hanging out with White people? Probably nothing. Or at least nothing major would have happened.

I'm sure some of 'em would still do it for the money.

Although you do still bring up a good point. 

He spoke about how he owns his players and he feeds their family.  He spoke as if they were slaves working under him on a plantation.  He said  he owned them and they were his property.  The world does not have room for racism, at least public racism.  But here's an interesting fact.  He's as free to speak his mind just as much as society can disagree with him.  But his words have cost the NBA millions of dollars.  If I owned a business and my top sales person made public racist comments and I lost lots of revenue from it, I would not keep him.

He spoke about how he owns his players and he feeds their family.  He spoke as if they were slaves working under him on a plantation.  He said  he owned them and they were his property.  The world does not have room for racism, at least public racism.  But here's an interesting fact.  He's as free to speak his mind just as much as society can disagree with him.  But his words have cost the NBA millions of dollars.  If I owned a business and my top sales person made public racist comments and I lost lots of revenue from it, I would not keep him.

He never said anything publicly though, that's the thing. He said it behind closed doors with his girlfriend who was INTENTIONALLY trying to get him to break. If you listened to the interview, he was trying to get off the topic of black people after he said it. She kept pushing for him to say more knowing that she could get him in tons of trouble when(if) she released the audio tape. 

I'm sure most of us could get someone close to us to say something that is very publicly accepted. 

He never said anything publicly though, that's the thing. He said it behind closed doors with his girlfriend who was INTENTIONALLY trying to get him to break. If you listened to the interview, he was trying to get off the topic of black people after he said it. She kept pushing for him to say more knowing that she could get him in tons of trouble when(if) she released the audio tape. 

I'm sure most of us could get someone close to us to say something that is very publicly accepted. 

That's entirely the issue, it was done illegally so much of what the NBA will be challenged and the will probably lose.

I would say "That man has some very rude views, I don't think I'll support his business endeavors from now on." Yet people still go to the games, so maybe some people care less about racism than they say. There's even another team in that one city to support if that's your thing. It's sad that the NBA was pressured to do something because the "fans" wouldn't.